1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

No II's, no rejections, no communication at all. :( getting nervous

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr. MCAT, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Mr. MCAT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    So I haven't heard anything from any schools and I applied to about 22 MD schools. I have a 3.54 cumulative gpa, 3.46 science, and a 38 MCAT (though 30 first attempt). I am beginning to wonder if I missed something on my primary applications or something since it seems that so many other people have already been rejected oview. I'm a Cali applicant and I finished most of my secondary apps 1-1.5 months ago.

Basically, I would like to hear back from people who have also not heard anything yet in order to relieve my horrible anxiety. Knowing when you submitted and some stats would be great to know, too.

On another note, my hiking backpack got stolen recently and it cost a buttload of money so that makes me sad too.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. looncat

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I haven't heard much of anything yet either (I did get rejected from Tulane though). Stats are similar though I have a lower mcat. I'm having a ton of anxiety over this too, but I like to tell myself that worrying over it isn't going to make anything happen so just forget about it.

4. About28

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Are your LORs in?

5. MrLogan13

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hang in there. I completed most of my secondaries back in July, and just started getting II's two weeks ago. I know it's hard, but you just have to be patient. You've done your part, all you can do now is wait.

6. Mr. MCAT

2+ Year Member

LORs have been in for a while. and this also makes me nervous because for like five of my schools they required 3 from professors and one of my LORs Im sure is extremely weak/generic. so I'm wondering if something like this is screwing me over, or if med schools are even looking at LORs so early in the process (as in maybe they would look at those AFTER the interview).

7. Mr. MCAT

2+ Year Member

also, schools definitely send emails about admission stuff, right? or do I have to individually go to all my school portals to see status updates?

8. Afford

2+ Year Member

They should email you. Make sure you check your SPAM folder because some go there. You can also call each school to make sure you're complete. As long as you didn't apply to only reach schools, you should get interviews. Also, some schools average MCAT scores.

9. GFP

GFP
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think your GPA is fine and your MCAT is EXCELLENT (Bravo!).

One potential problem is that you are a CA resident, which is an extremely competitive state. Did you apply broadly, including to schools outside of CA? How are your ECs?

10. Mr. MCAT

2+ Year Member

yeah i applied very broadly. only applied to 5 cali schools and rest are OOS. most are mid to lower tier schoosl, wake forest is the most upper tier school i applied to.

ECs are pretty good I thought, moderate volunteer experience but over 1500 clinical hours from being an ED scribe. unforunately, no research experience.

thanks for the mcat comment, i definitely worked my butt off for that thing.

11. pink/\floyd

2+ Year Member

No research could be the issue for some schools.. But, I'm sure you will get IIs! How many schools did you apply to?

12. 403710

403710 Guest
    5+ Year Member

Cgpa 3.55 sGPA 3.37 mcat 37. You're almost my stat twin. Completed most secondaries within last month and no word yet as well. Also been feeling that anxiety, hang in there bud I'm right there with you and I can see it all working out better than expected :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

13. GFP

GFP
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, you shouldn't be nervous. I know it's tough, but just have some patience. There's a lot in your favor, so hopefully you will start getting II's sometime soon.

Just curious, does your GPA have a rising trend? Strong academic performance towards the end? Do you have some more activities/experiences (besides volunteering and clinical) that can make your app well-rounded?

14. PreciousHamburgers

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    n = 1, but a school I interviewed at recently in the Northeast said they tend to interview regionally; interviewing people from the area first and California later on. :shrug:

15. Mr. MCAT

2+ Year Member

my gpa didnt see much of an upward trend. it was a 3.3 at one point but leveled out where it is now. i applied to 22 schools and am waiting on my DO app to be verified still due to delayed transcript sending.

i dont really have many other strong extra curriculars i dont think... no research... did some EMS shadowing. I alsoworked part time almost constantly throughout college at various jobs.

and thanks dentony, good luck for yourself.

16. alpharez

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got accepted and my application wasn't even verified until Sept 11 last year. Don't panic yet.

17. M_thepotentialmedstudent

I havent gotten anything either but I guess I shouldnt really expect to. My GPA is fine with a 3.84 but my mcat is a 26 (gonna try a retake), but have 240ish hours at a nursing home, 135h of shadowing, and did some research over the summer. did secondaries the first week of august. non URM and applied IS (MI) and OOS , kinda discouraged. anyway I didnt wanna hijack the thread,

18. SkipJunior

SkipJunior I'm Your Butler
    Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    do you want to be accepted to a medical school?

apply to the following schools right now:

acom
    vcom (all three)
    marian
    liberty
    msucom (is)
    rocky vista
    edward via
    west virginia com

submit aacomas now and start pre-writing secondaries. you may not like do but your best shot is with do. you can retake your mcat but then you have to apply md next cycle.

19. Endure

2+ Year Member

Not sure if it will help since I applied last cycle, but I didn't receive my first interview invite until mid-September and ended up getting 12 by January.

Hang in there.

DirkN, darklabel, BillrothI and 3 others like this.
  20. Mr. MCAT

2+ Year Member

thats good to know actually, thanks!

21. womanofscience

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I heard from a friend who is using Passport Admissions that the peak of Interview invitations is quickly coming up (mid-September to October) so hopefully everyone will start receiving some good news :)

10Acious, DielsAlder and G_Marker like this.
  22. davisfenos

davisfenos Prince Caspian
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    In a very similar boat. 3.58 GPA/38 MCAT. Finger crossed, bros.

23. G_Marker

I applied to 35 schools about 1-2 months ago with mediocre stats (average GPA, average MCAT for matriculants). One rejection, one hold (silent rejection), two IIs. I haven't heard from 31 schools. 31/35 = 89% haven't responded.

If these statements above are true, then I really hope these next couple of weeks are good ones, and that I have have the strength not to look at my phone every half hour for IIs.

24. user12

2+ Year Member

that 38 is so killer. wait until like October, youll probably get a bunch. i have a theory that the first people to get interview invites aren't necessarily the people who submit early (even though they always say applying early is best) but it's the people with high mcats and gpas. i think after schools invite all of the "elite" applicants, then they go down to the next level. even if your gpa is a LITTLE low, your mcat is elite.

25. kthxbai

kthxbai Really bad eggs
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know that the first people to get IIs have high stats. My GPA is high, but my MCAT is only 32.

People who fit the school's mission and in some cases are geographically desirable get IIs first, I should think.

Just hang in there! September is truly still on the early side of things.

elizabetts likes this.
  26. CpnClwVie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I share in this theory too based on what I have seen so far.

G_Marker and jjtheairplane like this.
  27. Lifeman

10+ Year Member

That's amazing. Could we get your lizzyM? Thanks.

28. AspiringERMD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    When last cycle did you apply?

29. PreciousHamburgers

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I think this is the case. At least at the three schools who have given me interviews. I have a low GPA and a pretty good MCAT, but I guess I am a non-trad with sort of an interesting story...

30. kthxbai

kthxbai Really bad eggs
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The more I read around on here the more I think this really is the way things work - stats are important, but they're hardly everything. I have 5 IIs already, and as I've mentioned my MCAT is 32. I had a truly awesome PS and a few very interesting ECs. My app was focused and clearly showed a particular interest in a certain field.

31. Endure

2+ Year Member

I submitted my primary on June 27th, but AMCAS opened for us on the 10th and there was a pretty significant backlog to be verified. I don't think I was verified until early-August.

74. Nothing exceptional.

32. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Meep Meep Meep
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'll trade ya :p

Mr Roboto likes this.
  33. JPA178

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A LizzyM of 74 means you have a 3.9/35 or a 3.8/36.... In my book (in anyone's book), that means you're pretty darn exceptional!

34. SkipJunior

SkipJunior I'm Your Butler
    Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    way to humble brag!!

Mr Roboto, HinduHammer and CpnClwVie like this.
  35. zzxxzz

5+ Year Member

>90th percentile of all med school applicants = no biggie...

Mr Roboto likes this.
  36. Endure

2+ Year Member

My reason for posting was to give people who haven't heard anything some peace of mind. I remember what it was like awaiting my first interview invite while members of SDN had their entire fall booked.

Even when I started getting interviews, they never came in torrents like they did for some people. I got them periodically over the course of 4-5 months. Everyone's timeline varies.

I know it goes against the grain slightly, but I would recommend going after the schools that matter to you most. I recall sending post-interview update letters to schools that I loved so that I could make my interest in them clear.

It's only the beginning of an application cycle that lasts six months. Try and be patient.

hueso likes this.
  37. Mr. MCAT

2+ Year Member

But I want to cure patients, not be one.

p53apoptosis and Mr Roboto like this.
  38. Make Or Break

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Okay daaaad (you posted a dad joke)

hueso and G_Marker like this.
  39. elprezidente

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Got accepted as well and I wasn't verified until late September (think mid-20s), and wasn't complete at some schools until October. I received an II to the school that I'm currently attending in February for a late March interview. My GPA was a bit higher but my MCAT was not nearly as fantastic as yours, OP. Don't worry, you have plenty of time!

hueso likes this.
  40. cupcakesandcadavers

i know how you feel...i was complete a little later than you (8/14-8/19) but everyone around me already has so many interviews and i have none! yes, they were complete earlier but it is still so nerve-wracking!!
    and i know its early, but i already started thinking of gap year stuff. yes, i am crazy.

ithd and Sportsdude89 like this.