MD No interest in Ob/Gyn but worried about my grade...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

em3761

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I got a B in Ob/Gyn. I hated the rotation (did my best, but was miserable the whole time) and have zero interest in going into it, but I'm worried the grade is going to cause me problems down the line. I'm most likely interested in gen surg, but I don't want to rule out Ortho or ENT. I got a 248 on Step 1 and my one other clerkship grade so far (outpatient medicine) was an A.

Is this going to be a problem? And just in general, how much do clerkship grades matter for fields you know you're not going into?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it won't be a problem. Clerkship grades do matter, but for your case they'll look at your surg rotation more. Best wishes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep working hard and do well on your other rotations and you'll be in a position to apply for the specialties you listed above.

Agree. Don't worry about it at all. I did very poorly in Psych and I don't think anyone even mentioned it during interviews. Try and do really well on Gen Surg if you're interested in anything surgical