No interviews and it's already December... words of encouragement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceDuchess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I submitted secondaries to 28 MD schools this year (had them all completed by late-August). So far, I am on a pre-interview waitlist at UA-Tucson, George Washington University, and UCSD. But, I haven't gotten a single interview invitation and am feeling quite discouraged at this point.

I know there are many threads out there saying that December is still not too late, and interviews go on until as late as March. I still can't help feeling a bit down at the moment.

If you received your first interview after November, could you please share your story? This, along with any words of encouragement, would make me feel much better.

Or, if you're in the same situation as I am, feel free to post here as well. I think talking about it would help.

-ID-

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would start preparing for reapplication if I were you.

That doesn't mean you have no chances, it means as a smart premed you have to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Reactions: 4 users
What's your LizzyM/ECs? What are the other schools you applied to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like schools are running exceptionally late. Or maybe they're running on time and it's always like this; I don't know - someone who's watched multiple cycles would have to chime in.

Several of the schools I've applied to, I'm seeing people who were complete in July posting IIs received this week, for dates in late January/early February. I'm starting to wonder if many schools never get around to giving IIs to applicants who were complete in August/September because they fill up their whole interview calendar with people who were complete in July instead.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys I don't think Duchess is asking for feedback on his app, he/she probably knows well enough from all the posts on SDN about this. Probably just looking for some affirmation. A little positive thinking never hurt anyone!
Lol I've just stalked these threads enough to know which schools give out IIs well into the new year and which schools are practically done by now. But, if you want some hope, check out this thread from 2016 that lists all the schools giving out IIs after December: Interviews offered in the New Year

What's your LizzyM/ECs? What are the other schools you applied to?

Sure thing, I'll be happy to share. Thank you for your response!

LizzyM score: 68.10
cGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 514
UCI alumni/CA resident

ECs listed on AMCAS:
- 80 hrs phlebotomy program/externship
- 800 hrs paid employment (training hospital volunteers)
- 60 hrs research (1 publication)
- 155 hrs leadership experience (in a hospital volunteer program)
- 32 hrs community service
- 530 hrs hospital volunteering
- extracurriculars: tennis, piano, art

Still waiting to hear from:
- Keck School of Medicine
- Albany Medical College
- Baylor College of Medicine
- CA Northstate University
- David Geffen SOM at UCLA
- Emory University
- George Washington University
- Jacobs SOM at Buffalo
- Oakland University William Beaumont SOM
- Rush Medical College
- Sidney Kimmel Medical College
- Stony Brook University
- Tufts University
- UA - Phoenix
- UA - Tucson
- UC Riverside
- UC San Diego
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Massachusetts
- Virginia Commonwealth
- Wake Forest SOM

Thoughts?

I would start preparing for reapplication if I were you.

That doesn't mean you have no chances, it means as a smart premed you have to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Thank you for your comment! I completely agree with you. I'm assuming the worst and am already prepping for next cycle. :) Hoping next round will be much more successful.

Guys I don't think Duchess is asking for feedback on his app, he/she probably knows well enough from all the posts on SDN about this. Probably just looking for some affirmation. A little positive thinking never hurt anyone!

True, I originally posted to look for some affirmation. Buuuuut, I am also open to feedback if anyone has any. Posted some of my stats on here. If you do have some comments about how I can further improve/increase my chances, please do post them!

The fact that you didn’t get the boot from keck is a good sign. I have the same lizzy score and I’m also from California (UCLA) and they told me screw off pretty early on lol.

The fact that you didn’t get the boot from keck is a good sign. I have the same lizzy score and I’m also from California (UCLA) and they told me screw off pretty early on lol.

Oh no, hopefully you get better results from the other programs. Good luck! I feel like this whole admissions process is completely randomized... yes each school has its own criteria by which they accept applicants but overall it's hit or miss.

To answer your second question, I had most of my secondaries complete by July. Some of them I completed in late-August. How about you?

How did you get a paper from 60 hours of research?

Consider continuing with service to the community. 32 hours is a bit low.

Also tagging @Goro @gyngyn @HomeSkool

I got a paper after only 60 hours because it wasn't a project where I had to spend multiple hours in a lab. I was helping with a clinical study and I had to follow up with all of the patients after they received their treatment every few months, and then organize their responses as well as other data.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I submitted secondaries to 28 MD schools this year (had them all completed by late-August). So far, I am on a pre-interview waitlist at UA-Tucson, George Washington University, and UCSD. But, I haven't gotten a single interview invitation and am feeling quite discouraged at this point.

I know there are many threads out there saying that December is still not too late, and interviews go on until as late as March. I still can't help feeling a bit down at the moment.

If you received your first interview after November, could you please share your story? This, along with any words of encouragement, would make me feel much better.

Or, if you're in the same situation as I am, feel free to post here as well. I think talking about it would help.

-ID-
A) You should have a Plan B until you get an accept in hand
B) You can get an II tomorrow, or in March.

I got a paper after only 60 hours because it wasn't a project where I had to spend multiple hours in a lab. I was helping with a clinical study and I had to follow up with all of the patients after they received their treatment every few months, and then organize their responses as well as other data.

What is your science GPA? Any grade trends?

In my opinion,

clinical volunteering - you’re good
non clinical volunteering - a little weak
research - with a publication, you’re good
leadership/teaching - you’re good
interests outside of being pre med - you’re good
exposure to the role of a physician - this seems to be missing, have you done any shadowing/scribing?

As for your school list, there are multiple places on your list that will still give out IIs into the new year. If you have to reapply I would add more OOS private schools such as Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, WMed, Georgetown, SLU, NYMC, Tulane, Drexel, Temple, etc.

What is your science GPA? Any grade trends?

Science GPA is 3.40. Cumulative is 3.52. Grade trends: start off strong each year, by the last quarter my grades typically aren't as high (mainly a mix of A's and B's).... which Im assuming isn't the best trend to have.

Im currently taking two classes at a community college though (bio lab to complete prerequisite's for some programs, and Spanish). Hoping it'll help a little bit with my GPA.

A) You should have a Plan B until you get an accept in hand
B) You can get an II tomorrow, or in March.

Great, thanks so much Goro! I already have a plan B and am definitely keeping myself busy. I'm taking a couple classes, just got one part-time job as a scribe and going to be looking for a second part-time as a phlebotomist after the end of this semester).

Do you suggest with these new changes I should reapply next cycle? I heard that its not always the best idea to reapply right away since most applicants don't have time to strengthen their application. Im hoping with my recent changes I should have enough to become more competitive?

In my opinion,

clinical volunteering - you’re good
non clinical volunteering - a little weak
research - with a publication, you’re good
leadership/teaching - you’re good
interests outside of being pre med - you’re good
exposure to the role of a physician - this seems to be missing, have you done any shadowing/scribing?

As for your school list, there are multiple places on your list that will still give out IIs into the new year. If you have to reapply I would add more OOS private schools such as Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, WMed, Georgetown, SLU, NYMC, Tulane, Drexel, Temple, etc.

I have shadowed several doctors, but I didn't list it on my application because they were all one or two-time shadowing experiences. I didn't have a single doctor who I shadowed consistently. I just got hired for ScribeAmerica though so when I update the schools in several weeks I'll mention that in my update.

Btw thank you SO much for your feedback so far. You are very helpful. :)

Science GPA is 3.40. Cumulative is 3.52. Grade trends: start off strong each year, by the last quarter my grades typically aren't as high (mainly a mix of A's and B's).... which Im assuming isn't the best trend to have.

Im currently taking two classes at a community college though (bio lab to complete prerequisite's for some programs, and Spanish). Hoping it'll help a little bit with my GPA.

Be careful of community college creds — some schools may not accept them for matriculation. Same goes for online classes.

Also you applied later in the cycle (late-August), contributing to the late response from schools. I applied in July and I’m still waiting to hear back from 12/25 schools.

Anecdotal but:

A good friend of mine, (LizzyM 69, same as mine but more balanced) was complete in July, got all her II's between December and January ,and by April was freaking out because she had to choose between 4 MD schools she liked. (Seriously, the pro/con lists we made together were insane). Keep your chin up, that's what I'm trying to do :)

Reactions: 6 users
I have shadowed several doctors, but I didn't list it on my application because they were all one or two-time shadowing experiences. I didn't have a single doctor who I shadowed consistently.
What have others done in this situation? I had a few one-off shadows and listed them all...

freaking out because she had to choose between 4 MD schools
Haha, just goes to show that we premeds will use any excuse to freak out. :)
Congrats to your friend!
Did you apply last cycle as well? If so, hope it went well for you!

Keep your head up. As others have said, it's not hopeless. IIs keep going out for a few months yet. If you have anything with which to update schools, it would behoove you to do so -- that may bump things your way.

Grade trends: start off strong each year, by the last quarter my grades typically aren't as high (mainly a mix of A's and B's).... which Im assuming isn't the best trend to have.
You're right, it's not the best: it raises questions about your stamina. Do some reflection and see if you can figure out what's going on. Are you white-knuckling through the first several months of the year and burning out by the end? Are you getting distracted by the social goings-on in the spring (that's a very common problem)? If you can figure out what's driving that pattern, you can fix it and your grades will show the upward trend that you want.

Do you suggest with these new changes I should reapply next cycle? I heard that its not always the best idea to reapply right away since most applicants don't have time to strengthen their application. Im hoping with my recent changes I should have enough to become more competitive?
That all depends on how much strengthening your app needs and how much you're able to fit in during one year. Your app looks pretty good with a couple weak spots that NeuroSoph75 pointed out. Try to address those items a bit and provide some updates on SDN -- I'm sure folks on here will be happy to weigh in on whether any weaknesses have been adequately strengthened.

A good friend of mine, (LizzyM 69, same as mine but more balanced) was complete in July, got all her II's between December and January ,and by April was freaking out because she had to choose between 4 MD schools she liked. (Seriously, the pro/con lists we made together were insane). Keep your chin up, that's what I'm trying to do :)
Yep, unexpected things can happen. I initially applied to 10 schools. I got a September interview at one school, and I thought it went pretty well. Then, on the last day that primaries could be submitted, that school waitlisted me. I freaked out and applied to three more schools that day. One of them was a top-25 school that I thought was a bit of a reach. That school sent me an II on January 13 (I'm looking at the envelope right now). I interviewed on February 11. My acceptance letter is dated February 16. So even at highly ranked schools, decisions are being made after the holidays.

Be careful of community college creds — some schools may not accept them for matriculation. Same goes for online classes.
Yep. Learn to love the MSAR (if you don't already). You kids these days, with your online subscriptions and digital MSARs. Back in my day, the MSAR was a big thick book that you had to steal from the pre-health professions office when the secretary wasn't watching.

Reactions: 5 users
Haha, just goes to show that we premeds will use any excuse to freak out. :)
Congrats to your friend!
Did you apply last cycle as well? If so, hope it went well for you!

First time applying actually! Did an SMP and a year off after that to get some pubs out, figured it was time to go for it. This is a whole new kind of stress from what I'm used to!

a whole new kind of stress from what I'm used to
No joke! There's the stress of long hours, no sleep, too much to do, or doing something way outside your comfort zone, but the stress of waiting passively for months on end is a special kind of pain.

No joke! There's the stress of long hours, no sleep, too much to do, or doing something way outside your comfort zone, but the stress of waiting passively for months on end is a special kind of pain.

It's more of an agency kind of thing. Passive waiting means that you don't control your fate anymore, especially in our context where you are judged in relation to others in the same cycle. If you are busy, at least you can assert of semblance of self-drive to control your schedule.

I freaked out and applied to three more schools that day. One of them was a top-25 school that I thought was a bit of a reach. That school sent me an II on January 13 (I'm looking at the envelope right now). I interviewed on February 11. My acceptance letter is dated February 16.
I love this story. Congrats!

It's more of an agency kind of thing. Passive waiting means that you don't control your fate anymore, especially in our context where you are judged in relation to others in the same cycle. If you are busy, at least you can assert of semblance of self-drive to control your schedule.
Yes, that's the exact point I was trying to make. :)

Great, thanks so much Goro! I already have a plan B and am definitely keeping myself busy. I'm taking a couple classes, just got one part-time job as a scribe and going to be looking for a second part-time as a phlebotomist after the end of this semester).

Med schools recommend strongly that you do not reply right away. In fact this is the most common mistake that applicants make.

You will need to identify whatever deficits exist in your app, and then fix them.

I have shadowed several doctors, but I didn't list it on my application because they were all one or two-time shadowing experiences. I didn't have a single doctor who I shadowed consistently. I just got hired for ScribeAmerica though so when I update the schools in several weeks I'll mention that in my update.

Btw thank you SO much for your feedback so far. You are very helpful. :) .

How do you find phlebotomy programs to attend?

I suspect a lot of us are total control freaks. I know I am. Waiting for something we can't control is just the absolute worst.

I love that I'm the unofficial mascot for people who don't get interviews until late.

OP, as you may have seen me say on other threads, two years ago I was in pretty much the exact same position as you. I had what I considered (and still consider) to be a relatively strong application but for whatever reason I hadn't received any interviews. Why? I have absolutely no idea. I got my first in late December and got my last in February, four total. So it is definitely possible to get interviews at this point in time. And I know plenty of people who got their first interview even later than me and are now medical students. There is definitely still hope!

Just by eyeballing your application, I would be surprised if you don't have success. I think that it looks like you've put a solid product together. That being said, and I know this isn't what you want to hear, the wise thing to do is to start preparing for a possible reapplication if it comes to that. Around this time last two years ago, I started applying to scribing jobs. Thankfully, it didn't come to that (well, actually it did, but then I got in a few weeks later. But that's another story for another day).

I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Med schools recommend strongly that you do not reply right away. In fact this is the most common mistake that applicants make.

You will need to identify whatever deficits exist in your app, and then fix them.

on the other hand, if you wait too long you may need need to retake MCAT; I believe one test lasts for 3 cycles correct? especially w/ a 514 i'd be reluctant to retake seeing as how you'd have to score much higher second time around for it to positively impact your app... i guess it's a personal decision, I didn't get in first cycle and applied the following year as well and was accepted; if you decide to apply next year, definitely throw in some new schools you didn't apply to and avoid any reach schools would be my advice

I didn't get in first cycle and applied the following year as well and was accepted
I'd love to know more about the difference between your first and second cycles. Sounds like you think you applied too "high" the first time around? Did you change your numerical stats? Pursue new types of ECs?

I'd love to know more about the difference between your first and second cycles. Sounds like you think you applied too "high" the first time around? Did you change your numerical stats? Pursue new types of ECs?

i don't think i applied too high, it was more of I didn't have a good sense of the schools I was applying to, I picked schools w/o doing thorough research on them, for example some of the schools I applied to had very low out of state students and so the standards were much higher for OOS students, that sort of stuff... the other major thing I had to change was my essays, personal statement & secondaries; i started working on those much earlier and had a loooot of people review before I felt comfortable with them... so i guess for me applying the very next cycle made sense b/c I just had to alter my school list a little and my essays; for those that need more ECs or improving GPA, taking a year before reapplying may be a better move

Reactions: 2 users
Also please realize that even if you did everything right, had the scores, the grades, the stellar ECs, you still might not get in. At this point, medical school is a number's game. There are just too many qualified people for too few seats

Reactions: 4 users
i don't think i applied too high, it was more of I didn't have a good sense of the schools I was applying to, I picked schools w/o doing thorough research on them, for example some of the schools I applied to had very low out of state students and so the standards were much higher for OOS students, that sort of stuff... the other major thing I had to change was my essays, personal statement & secondaries; i started working on those much earlier and had a loooot of people review before I felt comfortable with them... so i guess for me applying the very next cycle made sense b/c I just had to alter my school list a little and my essays; for those that need more ECs or improving GPA, taking a year before reapplying may be a better move
Ok this is good to know. Making a good school list is so much harder than it seems, especially if you're from a tough state. I feel like I'm in your boat: no issues with ECs and after ~70 postbac science units, I've done about all I can with my GPA, so I think I'll fix what I can on the school list, writing and timing front, and see how it goes. If those IIs don't start rolling in next spring. :)

Btw thank you SO much for your feedback so far. You are very helpful. :) .
If you end up re-applying, I would just clump those shadowing experiences together in AMCAS under one activity called "Physician Shadowing" or something. Also, try to shadow a primary care doctor if you haven't already and include it with the others. I think the shadowing + ScribeAmerica will demonstrate that you have seen first-hand what physicians do on a daily basis, which honestly might currently be holding you back.

I have about the same stats (but complete a month earlier than you) and got most of my II literally last week.

It's a long process! There is still plenty of time!

Sure thing, I'll be happy to share. Thank you for your response!

LizzyM score: 68.10
cGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 514
UCI alumni/CA resident

ECs listed on AMCAS:
- 80 hrs phlebotomy program/externship
- 800 hrs paid employment (training hospital volunteers)
- 60 hrs research (1 publication)
- 155 hrs leadership experience (in a hospital volunteer program)
- 32 hrs community service
- 530 hrs hospital volunteering
- extracurriculars: tennis, piano, art

Still waiting to hear from:
- Keck School of Medicine
- Albany Medical College
- Baylor College of Medicine
- CA Northstate University
- David Geffen SOM at UCLA
- Emory University
- George Washington University
- Jacobs SOM at Buffalo
- Oakland University William Beaumont SOM
- Rush Medical College
- Sidney Kimmel Medical College
- Stony Brook University
- Tufts University
- UA - Phoenix
- UA - Tucson
- UC Riverside
- UC San Diego
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Massachusetts
- Virginia Commonwealth
- Wake Forest SOM

Thoughts?

You could use some more shadowing and nonclinical volunteering with underserved populations. What is your BCPM GPA?

Hang in there. I was in a similar position last year around this time. My first interview invite came in February and then another followed in April. You may want to look into DO medical schools as well. If you're interested, it's not terribly late to apply now. In any case, keep your head high and keep doing things in the interim to boost your candidacy.

-Current MS1

Sent from my SM-G920P using SDN mobile

My first interview invite came in February
Nice! All tips welcome on how to deal with waiting until that beautiful February day. Were you thinking you'd have to reapply?

Ice Duchess, your problem is your state of residence. California has 12% of the U.S. population and 6% of the medical school seats.

If you were a resident of Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia, South Dakota, Ohio or any state in the South, with a 3.51 and a 514 you would be good to go. You would already be looking for an apartment near the med school to which you had been accepted. California isn't the worst state of residence for premeds. Iowa, New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island are worse but California is pretty bad. When the AAMC website comes back up, look at Table 20 which details by state the average MCAT and GPA for matriculating students and you will see what I mean.

If you don't get accepted this cycle I would suggest that you find a lab rat job in Ohio or Michigan and establish your state of residence there. Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State are all first rate in life sciences. Throw yourself at those institutions, get a job and work for peanuts for a year. Register to vote, get a new driver's license, file a state tax return in your new state but don't file in California. After that, reapply. There are state medical schools which will punish carpet baggers (see Buchwald vs New Mexico) but Ohio and Michigan aren't terrible in that regard.

One thing to note about Ohio and Michigan is that each of those states has a relatively well regarded osteopathic medical school and each of those DO schools has an enormous entering class. Being a DO might not be what you dream about, but it beats reapplying three times and giving up.

I didn't receive my first II until January last year.

Nice! All tips welcome on how to deal with waiting until that beautiful February day. Were you thinking you'd have to reapply?
I did. That's a natural thought, and you always have to be prepared to do so. If I were you, I would pick the weakest part of my app and continue on improving that in the meantime. When you've made considerable progress on said goal, you can send in updates to the school -transcript, LORs, service hours, new publications/posters, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920P using SDN mobile

Hi everyone,

-ID-

512 MCAT, 3.55 cGPA and 3.52 sGPA. Just got my first 2 MD IIs this week! Complete early to late August for majority of schools. I have a lot of rejections now but most of them are from my reach schools (Keck, UCI, Mayo x2, Case Western, UCSF, Dartmouth, etc).

I was freaking out because it's been 4+ months since I applied at some schools, so I threw in even more MD apps and some DO apps.

I also have a 4.0 DIY post bacc of 38 semester units so I think that looked nice, plus 1600+ hours of ED scribe, 1000+ hours of basic science/clinical research, 1000+ hours of community service. No publications yet though. I took 3 gap years.

I feel like schools are running exceptionally late. Or maybe they're running on time and it's always like this; I don't know - someone who's watched multiple cycles would have to chime in.

Several of the schools I've applied to, I'm seeing people who were complete in July posting IIs received this week, for dates in late January/early February. I'm starting to wonder if many schools never get around to giving IIs to applicants who were complete in August/September because they fill up their whole interview calendar with people who were complete in July instead.

Yeah.. schools like VCU who are still giving "very interested" status to people who applied late July. :(