No interviews so far. Need suggestions on how to improve my app for next cycle. 3.98/506/MI/Caucasian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon_medgirl

Reaction score
I have received 0 interviews this cycle so I am looking for feedback on how to improve my application. Some med school students I know are saying that my app is very research focused, which is good for high-tier schools, but not as good for mid-low tier schools. But I obviously do not have the mcat score for top tier schools. Other than the obvious (needing to retake my MCAT score), how else can I improve my application? Thank you so much for your help!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMA
    • cGPA: 3.98, sGPA: 3.95.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 506 (126, 125, 126, 129)..I know it's rough.
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • Michigan
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    • White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    • Liberal arts college
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • CNA for seniors with Dementia and Alzheimer's (640 hours)
    • Emergency department volunteer (40 hours)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • Over 3000 research hours. Conducted neuroimaging research on eating disorders
    • Published a journal article in the International Journal of Eating Disorders as second author. Earned honors on my senior thesis that encompassed the study I published.
    • Currently, conducting neuroimaging research on substance use disorders at a very renowned medical school.
    • About to submit 2 more manuscripts. One looks at what predicts whether someone will adhere to and approve of COVID-19 social distancing guidelines. The other one looks at sex and substance use in adolescence.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 66 hours. Specialties include, Neuroradiologist, Inpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, Outpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, Internal Medicine.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • Volunteer Teacher for students at risk of educational failure (54 hours)
    • Volunteer Golf Coach for students at risk of educational failure (25 hours)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Student Athlete, Golf (1600 hours).
    • Captain of Women's golf team during my Junior and Senior years of college.
    • Teaching Assistant (100 hours).
    • Co-Founder and Leader of a student organization that promotes mental health awareness on our college's campus (junior and senior years of college)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    • Honors in Major
    • Donald W. VanLiere Prize in Psychology Coursework (awarded for achieving highest GPA in major)
    • Honors on Senior Thesis, which was a neuroimaging on eating disorders study that I conducted.
    • Best Poster Presentation Award at an Undergraduate Research Conference.
    • Women's Golf Coaches Association All-American Scholar (awarded for excelling in classroom and on golf course).
    • Chi Alpha Sigma Honor Society (inducted for excelling in both classroom and golf course).
  12. Other Relevant info: Graduated undergrad in 2019. Currently a Research Study Coordinator and a CNA for seniors with Alzheimer's and Dementia.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lack of non-clinical volunteering might be an issue. Low and cat is also an issue. When were you complete, and what was your school list?
I was complete with secondaries between August and September. Primary was verified in June. I submitted my app to more than 30 schools. I submitted my app before I took the MCAT, so I initially submitted to more high-tier schools (based on my gpa, mission, curriculum etc. I was originally scheduled to take my MCAT in April, but it was cancelled due to the pandemic. It was cancelled again in May and the soonest date available was July. My last practice exam score was a 519. However, a few days before my MCAT my grandma passed suddenly from a stroke. I was just not in the best headspace. Long story short, I initially applied to mostly high and mid tier schools, but I added lower tier schools in August.

I initially applied to Kaiser, San Fran, Rush, U Chicago, Icahn, U Cincinnati, Brown, Baylor, U of Wisconsin, Yale, Pittsburgh, Nova (MD), Georgetown, Tufts, U Mass, Penn State, Wake, Rochester, Geisel, Rush, Stanford, Wayne State, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Michigan State, and Oakland.

In August, I added Geisel, Saint Louis, Netter, Rowan, Lewis Katz, Upstate New York, Vermont, and Jefferson.

I have received 7 rejections (San Fran, U Chicago, Brown, Stanford, Wisconsin, Upstate New York, and Pitt). It has been complete silence for the other schools except Western Michigan. I completed their phone interview in November.

Obviously, I had no business applying to high-tier schools, but I did not know my MCAT at the time.

Yes, my MCAT is an issue for more mid-high tier schools. However, I have not received any interviews from low tier schools so there must be something else wrong with my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lack of non-clinical volunteering might be an issue. Low and cat is also an issue. When were you complete, and what was your school list?
Maybe non-clinical volunteering is an issue. However, I was a student-athlete, captain, and co-leader of a student organization in college so I did not have much time for other ECs. Currently, I work 6-7 days per week between my research job and CNA position so I do not really have time for non-clinical volunteering. Unless, you think I should stop one of those positions.

It's been a very competitive cycle and so you may simply be getting crowded out by more competitive candidates. Even at my DO school, you wouldn't have gotten an II yet.

So, be patient, and plan on an MCAT retake. But DO NOT take a high stakes, career deciding exam when you are not at your best.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe non-clinical volunteering is an issue. However, I was a student-athlete, captain, and co-leader of a student organization in college so I did not have much time for other ECs. Currently, I work 6-7 days per week between my research job and CNA position so I do not really have time for non-clinical volunteering. Unless, you think I should stop one of those positions.
It's time to stop the research and show off your altruism. Medicine IS a service profession, after all.

But you have to do better on the MCAT as well. So plan on a gap year. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 2 users
I was complete with secondaries between August and September. Primary was verified in June. I submitted my app to more than 30 schools. I submitted my app before I took the MCAT, so I initially submitted to more high-tier schools (based on my gpa, mission, curriculum etc. I was originally scheduled to take my MCAT in April, but it was cancelled due to the pandemic. It was cancelled again in May and the soonest date available was July. My last practice exam score was a 519. However, a few days before my MCAT my grandma passed suddenly from a stroke. I was just not in the best headspace. Long story short, I initially applied to mostly high and mid tier schools, but I added lower tier schools in August.

I initially applied to Kaiser, San Fran, Rush, U Chicago, Icahn, U Cincinnati, Brown, Baylor, U of Wisconsin, Yale, Pittsburgh, Nova (MD), Georgetown, Tufts, U Mass, Penn State, Wake, Rochester, Geisel, Rush, Stanford, Wayne State, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Michigan State, and Oakland.

In August, I added Geisel, Saint Louis, Netter, Rowan, Lewis Katz, Upstate New York, Vermont, and Jefferson.

I have received 7 rejections (San Fran, U Chicago, Brown, Stanford, Wisconsin, Upstate New York, and Pitt). It has been complete silence for the other schools except Western Michigan. I completed their phone interview in November.

Obviously, I had no business applying to high-tier schools, but I did not know my MCAT at the time.

Yes, my MCAT is an issue for more mid-high tier schools. However, I have not received any interviews from low tier schools so there must be something else wrong with my app.
With your current MCAT your best chance is your Insate schools honestly. If you decide to reapply increase the MCAT or add DO schools

It's time to stop the research and show off your altruism. Medicine IS a service profession, after all.

But you have to do better on the MCAT as well. So plan on a gap year. Med schools aren't going anywhere.
Thank you. I am planning on retaking my MCAT if I do not hear from any schools by the end of next month. Is there anything other than my MCAT that I need to improve on? There are people that have received interviews and acceptances with lower stats than me, so I do not think it is just my MCAT. I did not have much of an option considering my grandma died a few days before I was scheduled to take the MCAT. You think I should stop my clinical research position? I absolutely love it.

With your current MCAT your best chance is your Insate schools honestly. If you decide to reapply increase the MCAT or add DO schools
I am definitely going to retake the MCAT if I do not get in, but is there anything else that you think could be holding me back? There are people who have received interviews and acceptances with way lower stats than me.

Thank you. I am planning on retaking my MCAT if I do not hear from any schools by the end of next month. Is there anything other than my MCAT that I need to improve on? There are people that have received interviews and acceptances with lower stats than me, so I do not think it is just my MCAT. I did not have much of an option considering my grandma died a few days before I was scheduled to take the MCAT. You think I should stop my clinical research position? I absolutely love it.
Note my sig lines. I'm not trying to be harsh, but to peruse this career, you need to make better choices.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your grandma, but you should have simply not taken the exam. I had a clinician colleague whop would have rejected you for going ahead with the exam when you weren't at your best.

Your app is good in terms of clinical exposure, but many med schools are service loving. Hence, dump that or the CNA work.

Note my sig lines. I'm not trying to be harsh, but to peruse this career, you need to make better choices.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your grandma, but you should have simply not taken the exam. I had a clinician colleague whop would have rejected you for going ahead with the exam when you weren't at your best.

Your app is good in terms of clinical exposure, but many med schools are service loving. Hence, dump that or the CNA work.
I totally appreciate your honesty. So you think it would be okay to stop my CNA position even though some of my most significant experiences came from that position?

Last edited:

My work is a service position is it not?

My work is a service position is it not?
But you paid for it. Med schools want to see altruism.

I'm still rather surprised that you haven't gotten any love yet from your state schools. Admissions Deans do have a fondness for athletes Scholars, and so you're just going to have to be patient in this cycle, and work on the deficits in your application for next cycle.

Suggest throwing up some applications to DO schools now. Beggars can't be choosy

Members don't see this ad :)
But you paid for it. Med schools want to see altruism.

I'm still rather surprised that you haven't gotten any love yet from your state schools. Admissions Deans do have a fondness for athletes Scholars, and so you're just going to have to be patient in this cycle, and work on the deficits in your application for next cycle.

Suggest throwing up some applications to DO schools now. Beggars can't be choosy
Thank you for your feedback. I live in Michigan, so there are quite a few state schools here, with 6 MD med schools total. I am surprised too.

Last edited:
Hey I'm in a similar situation as you. My MCAT was delayed twice from spring to fall and a friend of mine died before my test and it was horrible. I can completely understand the mental route you took in taking the MCAT despite your grandma dying especially when COVID already delayed your exam twice. It's draining having to delay and it was probably a lot of pressure.

I think if you love your CNA job you should definitely continue it especially because it does seem service oriented already. You can always start volunteering on the side as well! It seems to me that you have an impressive amount of research and clinical experience plus you have athlete status which I've always thought gives people an extra edge since it shows extreme dedication. I think obviously an improved MCAT score will help tremendously too and since you were scoring 519 before you'll def have an improved score no problem! Good luck!!!

I am definitely going to retake the MCAT if I do not get in, but is there anything else that you think could be holding me back? There are people who have received interviews and acceptances with way lower stats than me.
You keep saying this and it’s probably true. But stats aren’t the only thing that gets you interviews. When people are reviewing your application they are probably thinking, this person should go get a PhD and forget about med school. Your application screams Lab Rat but your application doesn’t indicate or even infer much of an altruistic bent in your life. Are you paid at the lab? How about your CNA work?

Hey I'm in a similar situation as you. My MCAT was delayed twice from spring to fall and a friend of mine died before my test and it was horrible. I can completely understand the mental route you took in taking the MCAT despite your grandma dying especially when COVID already delayed your exam twice. It's draining having to delay and it was probably a lot of pressure.

I think if you love your CNA job you should definitely continue it especially because it does seem service oriented already. You can always start volunteering on the side as well! It seems to me that you have an impressive amount of research and clinical experience plus you have athlete status which I've always thought gives people an extra edge since it shows extreme dedication. I think obviously an improved MCAT score will help tremendously too and since you were scoring 519 before you'll def have an improved score no problem! Good luck!!!
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for your feedback. Good luck to you too.

You keep saying this and it’s probably true. But stats aren’t the only thing that gets you interviews. When people are reviewing your application they are probably thinking, this person should go get a PhD and forget about med school. Your application screams Lab Rat but your application doesn’t indicate or even infer much of an altruistic bent in your life. Are you paid at the lab? How about your CNA work?
Thank you for your feedback. I definitely do not want to get my PhD. I have a long history of research with psychiatric patients. For me, research is a way to improve treatment for these patients. I asked the physician who I did research with during undergrad, why he chose to do both clinical and research vs focusing on one or the other. He said his clinical work/his patients are what gives him his drive to conduct research. To improve their care. As a physician, I will be able to to improve care both through research and practice. I do get paid for my lab and CNA positions, but I do not think that should matter. Especially because I need these jobs to pay bills. I care for seniors for have memory impairments and I believe my description of this experience in the EC sections demonstrates altruism. One of my most significant experiences was as a volunteer teacher for children at risk for educational failure in a low-income city. This is something I emphasized in my secondaries. I'm not saying that I do not think I could do more volunteer work, but I also work 6-7 days so I would have to stop being either a CNA or a Clinical Research Study Coordinator. Also what volunteer work could I have done/currently do with COVID?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your feedback. I definitely do not want to get my PhD. I have a long history of research with psychiatric patients. For me, research is a way to improve treatment for these patients. I asked the physician who I did research with during undergrad, why he chose to do both clinical and research vs focusing on one or the other. He said his clinical work/his patients are what gives him his drive to conduct research. To improve their care. As a physician, I will be able to to improve care both through research and practice. I do get paid for my lab and CNA positions, but I do not think that should matter. Especially because I need these jobs to pay bills. I care for seniors for have memory impairments and I believe my description of this experience in the EC sections demonstrates altruism. One of my most significant experiences was as a volunteer teacher for children at risk for educational failure in a low-income city. This is something I emphasized in my secondaries. I'm not saying that I do not think I could do more volunteer work, but I also work 6-7 days so I would have to stop being either a CNA or a Clinical Research Study Coordinator. Also what volunteer work could I have done/currently do with COVID?
I agree with the above as someone who applied MD/PhD and have the same thinking as you. I've realized as I apply this cycle that a lot of premed/med school ppl have this weird bias against research that I don't understand. I think if you're able to spin your app in a way that emphasizes that you want to help others through research AND service then you should be fine.

Hi! I thought I would provide an update. I received my first interview this morning to Western Michigan. I am in shock.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
However, I was a student-athlete, captain, and co-leader of a student organization in college so I did not have much time for other ECs. Currently, I work 6-7 days per week between my research job and CNA position so I do not really have time for non-clinical volunteering.
Hey, just wanted to chime in to say that if you do need to reapply, you can absolutely find a way to squeeze in non-clinical volunteering with working full-time. It's tough, but other applicants taking gap years and working do it, too--you just need to be a little creative with where you volunteer and how. Like most volunteering, it's much easier to try to squeeze in a couple hours every week or so over a longer period of time rather than volunteering for huge chunks of time, especially when you have a job. For example, during my gap years when I was working pretty long hours, I found a public library near my job that needed volunteers and just went there after work once every other week and helped shelve books for two hours. It's wasn't the most glamorous non-clinical volunteering, but it was an inner-city library that catered to an undeserved population, so I did it. Another thing I found was a virtual tutoring service where you call in to a public elementary school and give a kid a reading lesson every week for 30 minutes over the computer (and this was even pre-COVID). I did that at my desk at work once a week during my lunchtime . Obviously both of these volunteering gigs weren't super impressive time-commitments per week, but their hours did add up because I did them consistently enough.

My job before med school was also in clinical research, and I loved it and wouldn't have quit to make more time for myself--but that meant I had to make sacrifices elsewhere. I'm sure there is something in your area that you can find and try to volunteer with for a little bit each week (like a food bank that needs help organizing donations, or a charity that needs help with clerical work, etc.). Just try to get creative/flexible. Like if you have a good relationship with your boss or supervisor at one of your jobs (and/or if the job is salaried instead of hourly shift work), ask if you can leave 1-2 hours early on a certain day each week to volunteer and if you can make up those hours on another day of the week by just coming in early or staying late.

Good luck in your interview!

Just received my 2nd interview invite! It is from Penn State. This cycle is so crazy. Thank you to all those who were rooting for me. I guess I may have given up on this cycle prematurely due to my low MCAT.

Reactions: 7 users
Just received my 2nd interview invite! It is from Penn State. This cycle is so crazy. Thank you to all those who were rooting for me. I guess I may have given up on this cycle prematurely due to my low MCAT.
Are you IS or OOS? I’m waiting, OOS, was put on hold a few months back. Silence since.

Just wanted to update this feed in case someone has similar stats/experiences as me. I was recently accepted to Western Michigan (WMed). I am so excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just wanted to update this feed in case someone has similar stats/experiences as me. I was recently accepted to Western Michigan (WMed). I am so excited!!
Congrats! your gpa is awesome and says good work ethics. those schools that accepted you know you will more than likely succedd in med school with that gpa. Not to brag, but rather give you confidence. I have your gpa, but a higher MCAT, and I am killing it at my first year of med school (2 weeks left). You will too with that gpa.

I’m wondering, did you get into penn state? I have a little higher mcat, lots of clinical hours of emt and supervising medical scribe, assistant athletic training, 3.7 gpa and did NOT get an interview at PS. I was put on hold early on. I applied to 26 schools which include 6 DO schools and got into DO schools. I’m grateful but also felt like i should have gotten some IS consideration. NY isn’t as loyal to its residents than other states I believe. I thought Penn State at least was considering me. Being overrepresented i believe is also a big minus in NY public institutions.

Congrats! your gpa is awesome and says good work ethics. those schools that accepted you know you will more than likely succedd in med school with that gpa. Not to brag, but rather give you confidence. I have your gpa, but a higher MCAT, and I am killing it at my first year of med school (2 weeks left). You will too with that gpa.
Thank you! That’s awesome :) congrats!

I’m wondering, did you get into penn state? I have a little higher mcat, lots of clinical hours of emt and supervising medical scribe, assistant athletic training, 3.7 gpa and did NOT get an interview at PS. I was put on hold early on. I applied to 26 schools which include 6 DO schools and got into DO schools. I’m grateful but also felt like i should have gotten some IS consideration. NY isn’t as loyal to its residents than other states I believe. I thought Penn State at least was considering me. Being overrepresented i believe is also a big minus in NY public institutions.
Hi! I was waitlisted at Penn State and withdrew my position. I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t received in-state consideration. I think it’s so hard to say why one person is given an interview over another. Every school is very different on their emphasis and I think it also depends on who reads your application. Congrats on your acceptances!