No interviews yet, Add more schools or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chosey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow sdn friends,

I know it's still pretty early in the cycle to be worrying but I want to lay out my game plan before its too late. I want to minimize the chance of having to apply again.
I have average/ below average GpA ( cgpa 3.65 sgpa3.39) with great trend and a 517 McAt. And because of the inconsistency, I applied and was verified very early, in early June. I applied to 32 MD schools and 3 DOs. And got secondaries very shortly after for most schools, and was able to submit secondaries within 2 weeks for 2/3 of the schools.

I am asian and a CA resident ( I know, not the best combo) and So far I have gotten 2 pre-secondary rejections from UC Davis and U of Wash. 1 post-secondary rejection from Tulane. And I am still waiting on secondaries from UCLA and UCI,( not looking good) but did finish secondaries for all of the other 29 schools and haven't heard anything since.

I applied broadly with 9 reach schools (based mostly on gpa)
9 high target schools, 8 lower target schools and 5 " safer" schools and 3 DOs. But since all 3 rejections were from my high/ low target groups, i m wondering if I should readjust and apply to more " safer" schools to cover.

To give you guys more info to judge, I have 1000+ clinical/ shadow experience since I work at a clinic for my gap years, 400+ hr of clinical volunteering and 100+ non clinical community service. I have 4 publications although 5 th author. And I have a pretty good PS, according to multiple doctors I asked. I also have a committee LOR with 5 individual letters, including 2 from science prof, 1 from art prof, 1 from internship PI and 1from my current boss. I was also raised around the world so I personally think I do have a unique background that sets me apart from most other asian applicants.

Please let me know what you all think. I d love some honest advice. I really don't want to have to apply again, and I feel like it d be too late to add later in oct or nov!! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're really that worried, you should maybe add 2-3 more low-tier MD schools, however I don't think you'll need to. You're gpa is a bit on the low side, but like you said theres an upward trend and that MCAT compensates for that slightly lower GPA. Your ECs are pretty good, especially your research based ecs. I think you'll definitely get some interviews. Did you apply to all californian med schools? Whats your list outside of California?

As a Californian, the UWashington application was a complete waste of money. I hope your other schools were better picks in terms of OOS friendliness.

You are an average to below average applicant. Right now, the schools are scrambling to interview the top applicants to their schools in the hopes of landing some of them before they get an offer in October and decide to cut back or stop interviewing. Some schools may be figuring that you are too good for them and that you won't go there if you have any other offers. They may hold off making you an interview invite with the expectation that you will turn them down if you have an offer from a better school.

You are most likely to get interview invites in the period between mid-October and late December. Keep in mind that almost everyone applies early yet the interview season stretches until February, and not just interviews for the waitlist. Schools are not sending interview invites now for January because plans change and they'd be fielding calls for schedule changes and cancellations.

Sit back, relax and wait. If you have targeted your list well, you should get some nibbles by Thanksgiving. If you have more on your list like Washington, you may need to rethink things. Post your list and stats in "What are My Chances?" and someone may have some advice on adding more schools if you have not chosen well with regard to OOS and mission.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Its not even September yet jesus christ.

Take a xanax, you are in for a long ride.

Reactions: 6 users
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Why do you think that your app is at the top of the pile when there are some 5000-15000 other applicants aiming for the same schools?

Hey fellow sdn friends,

I know it's still pretty early in the cycle to be worrying but I want to lay out my game plan before its too late. I want to minimize the chance of having to apply again.
I have average/ below average GpA ( cgpa 3.65 sgpa3.39) with great trend and a 517 McAt. And because of the inconsistency, I applied and was verified very early, in early June. I applied to 32 MD schools and 3 DOs. And got secondaries very shortly after for most schools, and was able to submit secondaries within 2 weeks for 2/3 of the schools.

I am asian and a CA resident ( I know, not the best combo) and So far I have gotten 2 pre-secondary rejections from UC Davis and U of Wash. 1 post-secondary rejection from Tulane. And I am still waiting on secondaries from UCLA and UCI,( not looking good) but did finish secondaries for all of the other 29 schools and haven't heard anything since.

I applied broadly with 9 reach schools (based mostly on gpa)
9 high target schools, 8 lower target schools and 5 " safer" schools and 3 DOs. But since all 3 rejections were from my high/ low target groups, i m wondering if I should readjust and apply to more " safer" schools to cover.

To give you guys more info to judge, I have 1000+ clinical/ shadow experience since I work at a clinic for my gap years, 400+ hr of clinical volunteering and 100+ non clinical community service. I have 4 publications although 5 th author. And I have a pretty good PS, according to multiple doctors I asked. I also have a committee LOR with 5 individual letters, including 2 from science prof, 1 from art prof, 1 from internship PI and 1from my current boss. I was also raised around the world so I personally think I do have a unique background that sets me apart from most other asian applicants.

Please let me know what you all think. I d love some honest advice. I really don't want to have to apply again, and I feel like it d be too late to add later in oct or nov!! Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Why do you think that your app is at the top of the pile when there are some 5000-15000 other applicants aiming for the same schools?

Thank you all for the honest advice!
correct me if i am wrong but I did apply early though, I thought the point was to be considered earlier, since they would review the applications in the order they receive them, so its slightly easier when more seats are available...O.O

Last edited:
I saw that you applied to Texas A&M through TMDSAS. How many of those 32 schools are Texas schools? Are you considering those as target/safety schools? As an OOS with lower GPA you might not have a lot of luck with them as theyre mandated to take 90+ % IS.

Only 2 are Texas schools. Thats kind of why I applied broadly, my sGPA is going to be around or lower than 10 percentile for all schools and my Mcat would be the opposite, so nether is so useful in placing me among other applicants.:(

If you're really that worried, you should maybe add 2-3 more low-tier MD schools, however I don't think you'll need to. You're gpa is a bit on the low side, but like you said theres an upward trend and that MCAT compensates for that slightly lower GPA. Your ECs are pretty good, especially your research based ecs. I think you'll definitely get some interviews. Did you apply to all californian med schools? Whats your list outside of California?

For cali I applied to pretty much all possible ones:
UCSF
UCSD
UCI
UCLA
UCR
UCDavis
Keck

Other than cali schools:

Einstein
Rochester
Miller
Case western
Emory
Tufts
Geisel
Brown
Georgetown
Oakland
Wake forest
Temple
UT San Antonio
George Washington
Texas AM
Drexel
NYMC
Tulane (rejected)
Loyola
Albany
Rosalind Franklin

Then some DO
Western
KCU
PCOM

Please feel free to make suggestions! Thank you in advance

correct me if i am wrong but I did apply early though, I thought the point was to be considered earlier, since they would review the applications in the order they receive them, so its slightly easier when more seats are available...O.O
I think he means after they receive all these applications, they are going to pick the very best applicants they feel they have the chance of landing. You are not going to jump off the paper in August, even though you submitted early. They'll see your app and put you off for a later consideration.

As a New Yorker, I think you did a good job picking out-of-state friendly schools. Einstein, Rochester, NYMC, and Albany admit 57.9%, 67.3%, 57.4% and 60.6% out-of-states respectively.
From you list, you can expect a good number of interviews. Don't worry too much you're an above average applicant and your list is very broad, you should get in this cycle. I don't think there's any need to add in a school. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I would add St. Louis and Stony Brook (they both seem to be very receptive to Californians).

I didn't get my first interview until October, and didn't receive an interview invitation at the school I am attending until the beginning of January!

Reactions: 2 users
Early is good, but this is NOT what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Understood! I shall wait then! :angelic:

As a Californian, the UWashington application was a complete waste of money. I hope your other schools were better picks in terms of OOS friendliness.

You are an average to below average applicant. Right now, the schools are scrambling to interview the top applicants to their schools in the hopes of landing some of them before they get an offer in October and decide to cut back or stop interviewing. Some schools may be figuring that you are too good for them and that you won't go there if you have any other offers. They may hold off making you an interview invite with the expectation that you will turn them down if you have an offer from a better school.

You are most likely to get interview invites in the period between mid-October and late December. Keep in mind that almost everyone applies early yet the interview season stretches until February, and not just interviews for the waitlist. Schools are not sending interview invites now for January because plans change and they'd be fielding calls for schedule changes and cancellations.

Sit back, relax and wait. If you have targeted your list well, you should get some nibbles by Thanksgiving. If you have more on your list like Washington, you may need to rethink things. Post your list and stats in "What are My Chances?" and someone may have some advice on adding more schools if you have not chosen well with regard to OOS and mission.

Is 3.65/517 really average or below average? Is it because of the sGPA of 3.39?

Ah okay. I didn't realize you meant average/below for top tier schools. Thank you for replying so quick.