No Interviews Yet, Should I Be Worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ive posted a few times, but heres the stats:

3.45cGPA 3.3BCPM 36R (last year, 40 credits ~3.8gpa and 4.0sci)

Applied to about 30 schools, havent heard back yet, but have only been complete since mid-late Sept.

I sent an update with my Orgo grades (summer) and research that i started.

any thoughts? should i start the informal postbac this spring?

Thanks my fellow neurotic premeds

Members don't see this ad.

It depends a bit on when you submitted your application, but I think the consensus would be 'no, no need to worry yet' unless your application list consists of Harvard, Mayo, and Hopkins alone.

You'll have to wait 1-1.5 more months to hear something back from some of your schools I'd say. They have the biggest mountain of apps to review right about now so a completion date of September may not be reviewed for a few more weeks/months now. Sit tight for bit before you start to worry. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an update with my Orgo grades (summer) and research that i started.

any thoughts?

should i start the informal postbac this spring?

You know I'm one of your fans, and I am confident you'll do well this application cycle. For you, sending an update this early was appropriate, as the research wasn't on your primary. Hopefully, you got good grades in Orgo. Are you not taking informal post-bac classes now? Certainly do so in the spring. I'd focus on "double-duty" classes that will ease your first year of med school, like biochem, anatomy, physiology, provided you can get As in them to show you can do well in upper-level science, and have relevant things to say in future update letters.

When I applied, my first interview offer came in three weeks, but my last came six months after I was complete. Be patient. You'll do fine.

is the point of the post-bac to get your GPA above 3.5? Because I don't think your 3.4 will be an issue given your MCAT. Doesn't seem like a post-bac is necessary here...unless you want to of course.

Thanks again for the vow of confidence Mobius, it is appreciated.

As for the post-bac, im very split with it, because i just graduated in the summer, am working two days a week and doing research at a lab the other three days a week. I dont really want to give up these two positions for a post-bac if i dont need to.

suppose ill be going for night courses... sucks to be me haha

I think your cGPA is not the issue (I agree that your MCAT score will overshadow it.). IMO, whether you should consider doing post-bac work or not depends on why your BCPM GPA is so low, and whether you have demonstrated a consistent ability to do well in upper-level science classes. If you were a non-science major in undergrad, you may not have enough science classes yet to positively influence an adcomms opinion about the negative predictive value of a 3.3 BCPM.

Last edited:
you hit it on the head mobius. I'm nonscience, and took 1/2 my sciences freshman year. I think im ultimately going to send out some post-bac applications, but wait to see how my feedback looks (interviews) by january. I feel if i get at least 3 interviews (which i know is alot), then i can be fairly confident that my stats are somewhat competitive as is and i should pursue my opportunities for publication. Any less, i will take those higher level bio electives (havent taken anything besides the basic premed requirements).

I'll keep anyone whose interested posted.