No interviews yet. Should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I was planning on becoming an EMT and actually working on my year off to make some money. I wouldn't do it just for the certificate. I was also thinking about phlebotomy and working in a hospital lab if possible. The only thing is that the time I will be working will be after the initial application is already due. So, I was wondering how I would incorporate any of this into my application. Thanks!

Update letters, or just tell your interviewers.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you can update them in writing or on interviews. Let me ask you though. What have you done to improve your application this year? Maybe you will be better off working full time as an EMT for a year, taking a few additional classes, and then reapplying stronger a year from this summer.

So far this year I have continued what I have been doing before and am currently trying to land a research position, hopefully soon. My GPA is slightly higher than before, about .5 higher (~3.65) since I am just taking mostly GE classes now. Other than that nothing else; I don't know what else I could do :(. I know that for the schools I have applied to already this past cycle things may only be slightly improved. However, since I cutting down on those schools and adding other schools that are less competitive do you think that I will be okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you have a good shot at a lot of schools. I say go for it, BUT....you should continue volunteering, work full time in something medical, AND take a class or two which is medical school related (genetics, immunology, something like that). This will mean that if you don't get in, you will have taken steps to make your app more competitive in case you need a third try. And if you have success this cycle, the extra experience won't hurt you.

If you didn't get any interviews i would suggest you do more than just tweak your PS.

If you didn't get any interviews i would suggest you do more than just tweak your PS.

I'd say, if you didn't get any interviews, choose a different school list. I'm actually reapplying this year with pretty much the same application except for a re-written PS, and I've gotten >7 interviews compared to last year, when I only got one. And most of those interviews are from schools I didn't apply to last year.

I didn't read other people's responses but you didn't apply broadly enough. All your stats are below average and I'm gonna assume you're asian because of the lion dancing. Good ECs, but your MCAT is low and so is your GPA. If things don't work out this year, then take a year off or something to get senior grades in and retake the MCAT while continuing your ECs. Should be chill with no classes. Good luck

I do not think double majoring or EMT certification will make any difference.

true and very true.

unless you will actually work as an EMT for more than a year, there's no point in getting it. adcoms are about as impressed with EMT's certs as they are with CPR certs; they're not really achievements, and they're only worth anything if you put the knowledge to use.

OP, seek better advice, or do research for yourself, before you go throwing money at things.

you should probably only apply to FEWER than 5 of those schools next time. then pick another 10-12 that are NOT top tier.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could get you collective feedback regarding the medical schools I haven't heard back from yet and if there is a good chance I can possibly obtain an interview given the circumstances. My secondary applications were turned in some time ago approximately 2-3 months ago and I haven't heard anything back from:

The Keck School of Medicine at USC

Temple

Meharry

Mount Sinai

Morehouse

Any thoughts?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could get you collective feedback regarding the medical schools I haven't heard back from yet and if there is a good chance I can possibly obtain an interview given the circumstances. My secondary applications were turned in some time ago approximately 2-3 months ago and I haven't heard anything back from:

Temple

Meharry

Mount Sinai

Morehouse

Any thoughts?

Numbers? ECs? We can't even begin to guess without any clues.:oops:

man i cannot believe all this negativity. you weren't flat our rejected right?!! It would make sense to have received a rejection letter from the school right or soon after they reviewed your application in the fall, right?

Dude, little optimism huh? 30 is fine; it's right around average for most of the good schools, same with the 3.6. I agree it's out of the top notch schools, but it's a good score for most schools. Caribbean? and no way apply DO with those stats.

I applied to many and still didn't hear yet from any either, though i applied a little late. Don't worry about it.

People enjoy seeing one less person to compete against, it makes them feel their odds are better at getting in.

man i cannot believe all this negativity. you weren't flat our rejected right?!! It would make sense to have received a rejection letter from the school right or soon after they reviewed your application in the fall, right?

Dude, little optimism huh? 30 is fine; it's right around average for most of the good schools, same with the 3.6. I agree it's out of the top notch schools, but it's a good score for most schools. Caribbean? and no way apply DO with those stats.

I applied to many and still didn't hear yet from any either, though i applied a little late. Don't worry about it.

People enjoy seeing one less person to compete against, it makes them feel their odds are better at getting in.

Afraid not. There are a ton of schools that will leave you hanging for months on end. Caribbean is definitely a ridiculous idea, though. DO might be a good option if the Allo schools give you the thumbs down next cycle.

huh i didnt know that. probably wouldnt hurt to call right?

chances are in case where you apply that early, decision of some kinds been made

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read other people's responses but you didn't apply broadly enough. All your stats are below average and I'm gonna assume you're asian because of the lion dancing. Good ECs, but your MCAT is low and so is your GPA. If things don't work out this year, then take a year off or something to get senior grades in and retake the MCAT while continuing your ECs. Should be chill with no classes. Good luck

hahah. I couldn't help but laugh when I read that statement. I personally don't think a 30 is a LOW mcat score, but if you say it's an avg mcat i can agree with. GPA of 3.5-3.6 is actually not low, but it's not high either. A low GPA is one of 3.4 and below imo.

In regards to the OP, one thing I like to point out is that your list is mostly top-tier schools. With your stats, it's really hard to compete against the gunners. I'd advise you to apply to more of lower and a few middle tier schools and also throw in state schools. In your case, the key here is to "apply broadly but smartly."

nice post i would agree

30 is actually a good score; about average for people accepted in average md school right? if 30 is average, that means some people are getting in with high 20s, it's not like everyone has a 30

+2 on your MCAT would go a long way.

So I guess based on the OPs #s, he had about a 60-70% chance (roughly) of getting in -- where those odds were greatly diminished by a poor choice of school.

If we're assuming that his recs were solid, his essays fantastic, and his ECs adequate (I thought they were pretty cool), then yeah.

I did the same thing last year. Reapplying is painful!

No interviews yet. Should I be worried?

Yes - a little.

I am not sure if the person who started this post has checked back at all, but I have been reeding a lot of negative thoughts about him just recycling next year. While that is likely going to be necessary if you want to be an MD, you still have a little bit of time to apply to several DO schools. Your stats are very good for a DO applicant and if you do not want to put your career on hold for a whole year and recycle then you better apply very quick to several DO schools!
A doctor is a doctor is a doctor, weather you graduate from John Hopkins or a much less known university you will still be a doctor, and your patients will not care 99% of the time.

nice post i would agree

30 is actually a good score; about average for people accepted in average md school right? if 30 is average, that means some people are getting in with high 20s, it's not like everyone has a 30

what people often forget is that those with UNDER 30 have high GPAs. and people with lowish GPAs have high MCATS.

The people with below average in BOTH are not getting in.

so are there still many schools offering interviews? I'm kind of scared that invites ended in late January. I'm specifically interested in Baylor, Emory, Mount Sinai, Jefferson, Drexel, Davis and Northwestern

Also, sometimes schools say that the last invites will go out during a certain week, but then you hear of people who got invites in March or later. How and why does this happen? Are these just single invites for people who applied late or does the school realize that it underadmitted?

so are there still many schools offering interviews? I'm kind of scared that invites ended in late January. I'm specifically interested in Baylor, Emory, Mount Sinai, Jefferson, Drexel, Davis and Northwestern

Also, sometimes schools say that the last invites will go out during a certain week, but then you hear of people who got invites in March or later. How and why does this happen? Are these just single invites for people who applied late or does the school realize that it underadmitted?

Different schools send out invites for different periods of time. WashU stops sending them in early Feb, for example, while Stanford keeps going until April. It does seem like they're running out sooner than last year, though.

Hello everyone,

Temple

Meharry

Mount Sinai

Morehouse

Any thoughts?
Just doublechecking that you know that Meharry and Morehouse are historically black colleges (HBCUs). Also, if you sent in secondarys in late October or November, that is probably considered late even by non-SDN standards.

I agree that a 3.6/30 is not going to get an applicant with normal EC's interviews/acceptances at such elite schools. I made the same mistake with a 3.9/39; many people are smart (enough) and have diverse/outstanding ECs. It can hurt your chances when you apply with the cream of the cream. You should apply broadly next year, as will I if necessary.

hahah. I couldn't help but laugh when I read that statement. I personally don't think a 30 is a LOW mcat score, but if you say it's an avg mcat i can agree with. GPA of 3.5-3.6 is actually not low, but it's not high either. A low GPA is one of 3.4 and below imo.

In regards to the OP, one thing I like to point out is that your list is mostly top-tier schools. With your stats, it's really hard to compete against the gunners. I'd advise you to apply to more of lower and a few middle tier schools and also throw in state schools. In your case, the key here is to "apply broadly but smartly."

Please go back and look at the list of schools he applied to. His MCAT and GPA are low for them. You recognize this fact in your second paragraph so I don't understand your response at all.

Sure, raising your MCAT score a few points might help, especially if it is by more than just a few points... but I'd recommend you focus on your extracurrics and the unique attributes that you have that set you aside from the gobs of other applicants. If you'd like some advice, PM me. (for next cycle) After graduating from film school I worked for 2 years for a large agency/production company and really honed in on my marketing skills. I think I was able to use them to put together a compelling/intriguing application based on my strengths.

Last edited:
Please go back and look at the list of schools he applied to. His MCAT and GPA are low for them. You recognize this fact in your second paragraph so I don't understand your response at all.

Let me clarify for you. The first paragraph I was explicitly replying to your statement and the second was to the OP. Saying his MCAT and GPA were low for the schools he applied to is one thing, but just saying his MCAT and GPA were low with no context is another. You said the latter and that was how I interpreted your statement.

ouch! I barely have a 3.6 and don't even have a 30 on my MCAT just like the OP... and yet somehow I somehow snagged a few interviews as a CA resident.

Your BCPM is a 3.9, which is excellent, and you maintained a 3.9-ish GPA over 60 units of post-bacc work. I would say that more than makes up for a 3.6 cGPA, which isn't even that bad to begin with. :) Additionally, you're a nontrad with a few years of work experience behind you, and you probably have some interesting life stories/experiences to boot. For these reasons, I don't think your application can be directly compared to the OP's (no offense to the OP intended).

Saying his MCAT and GPA were low for the schools he applied to is one thing, but just saying his MCAT and GPA were low with no context is another.

So you thought I said his MCAT/GPA was lower for schools he didn't apply to? hmm ok. Well to clarify, I meant his scores are low someone applying to high tier schools such as the ones in his list.

Thanks for everyone who has posted! Sorry I have not checked back. i had to go home for the weekend and was without a computer >_<. Anyways, I still have not received any other responses positive or negative for those who are wondering. I am planning for the worse but I haven't lost all hope yet although some of you here may disagree. I will update with any status once i receive it. I just find it odd that I submitted my secondaries a while back (Early August and some Early Sept) and have not heard anything at all. Anyways, crossing the fingers and hoping for the best. Thanks! :)

Okay well keep us posted!!:luck:

I really think you shouldn't bother with the double major, unless it really interests you. It won't affect your application. As many have said, your list is the primary issue. As someone who had to reapply after making the same mistake, I can say that all you need is some life experience and a NEW personal statement. I can't stress that enough... I've been accepted to multiple schools this time around, just by finding a research job that I love, and making my PS more heartfelt.

I just find it odd that I submitted my secondaries a while back (Early August and some Early Sept) and have not heard anything at all.

Actually, that's pretty common. Many schools save rejections for as late in the game as possible (because why the heck not).

Apply broadly next cycle if things don't work out. Your GPA is just above the All Applicant Average, your MCAT is just about average.
Bump your MCAT to a balanced 35+ than you will actually be competitive at the schools you've applied to.

You might still have a chance, I just interviewed with UCLA two weeks ago and I have a lower GPA than you (3.3) and I am not an URM. It all depends on your personal statement since UCLA reads all the application.
I just hope that you give a strong reason to why you want to become a physician. I hoped you did not put something along the line of "helping people" without providing a reason.

Anyway good luck you still have a chance to receive an interview invite all the way until March. One of the student that I talked to receive his interview invite in March and interviewed within days of the interview invite.

So far this year I have continued what I have been doing before and am currently trying to land a research position, hopefully soon. My GPA is slightly higher than before, about .5 higher (~3.65) since I am just taking mostly GE classes now. Other than that nothing else; I don't know what else I could do :(. I know that for the schools I have applied to already this past cycle things may only be slightly improved. However, since I cutting down on those schools and adding other schools that are less competitive do you think that I will be okay?