No Interviews yet (TX). Should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teawater17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have gotten one interview from TCOM which I am excited for, but I haven't heard back from any other TX schools. I transmitted in early July. Should I be worrying about the lack of interviews? It is driving me crazy!

I got a 506 on my mcat (125,127,127,127). It's frustrating because C/P are my best subjects, and I did worse on that section than I ever did on practice tests. I was really let down by my score, but didn't think I'd have time to retake it this cycle.

My GPA is another story. It is a 3.58 cGPA and 3.58 sGPA. Here's the catch though, I got a 2.1 for my first three semesters at my first college, but transferred schools, retook my classes, and have maintained a 3.98 since, including all of my science and math classes. .

I have worked on a research project for over a year (400+hours) and presented my work at a national conference, and am currently working on a new project. I've also had over 500 hours of shadowing, plus lots of volunteering in the healthcare field and non-healthcare volunteering. I also have work experience. I'm also an Eagle Scout, if that carries any weight.

I am a TX resident, could you guys let me know what you think about the interviews?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry just yet; I'm doing TX interviews right now and from what I've seen so far, the schools are getting the high stats applicants and the ones with incredible extracurriculars out of the way early. I imagine you have a perfectly good chance of getting an interview at least somewhere later on.

But 500 hours of shadowing? Why..?

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent a summer full-time observing a doctor, but did various things during the summer such as going to lectures, clinical rotations, research, operations, etc, so it was varied.

Patience, my friend! Going through the school-specific threads, it does seem like those with high LizzyM scores (>70) or those with unique EC's/stories are being interviewed first. I'm in a similar boat, with only TCOM's interview, but I know it's still early and not panicking too much yet.

It sounds to me like you REALLY don't want to go to TCOM. It's okay, I only wanted to apply to MD schools as well. But guess what? I ONLY APPLIED TO MD SCHOOLS!! Do the world a favor and decline the TCOM interview if you feel like you're too good for them (your stats indicate that you're not, your attitude confirms that you're not).

Also, unless you're a Vitruvian, you won't be getting interviews this early in the cycle. No matter the EC's, with a 506 and a 3.58, you're not a Vitruvian.

Hang in there, it's a long process. And most importantly, remain realistic.

He's posting this in the pre-medical allopathic forum, and he has no allopathic school interviews yet.

Eh. Considering people apply both MD and DO and frequent preallo more often than preosteo, the title still stands to be misleading. It's better to clarify the title as No MD Interviews yet.