No interviews yet, worried about being passed over!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fnc54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to 23 schools, mostly mid tier, a few top 20s with LizzyM 76. Should I be worried that I have no interviews yet? I know from the school specific threads that my application has been passed over at places like Hofstra and Rochester already.

Members don't see this ad.

I've applied to 23 schools, mostly mid tier, a few top 20s with LizzyM 76. Should I be worried that I have no interviews yet? I know from the school specific threads that my application has been passed over at places like Hofstra and Rochester already.

According to @Goro

Applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, URMs people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

It is ONLY mid-August! Interviews will continue to be sent out for many months to come. It is not unusual for some people to receive their first interview invite in February!..or even later!

You can start to mildly panic after Thanksgiving...you can go into full blown panic mode after New Years. For the time being just relax, it is way to early to even think about panicking.

Reactions: 14 users
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not

Reactions: 7 users
Its my blurb I believe

I guess great minds think alike! ;)

Review of apps is not simply done in a linear chronological order. High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
Reviews of applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, URMs people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

When these get added up they essentially become your interview priority. So you may get reviewed in August but priority doesn’t get you invited until February.

According to @Goro

Applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, URMs people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.
Understood-- however, since I have higher stats, isn't it more worrying that I got passed over?

Understood-- however, since I have higher stats, isn't it more worrying that I got passed over?

Are you sure your application has been viewed? Every school has a different process for reviewing applications, and it may be likely that yours hasn't been seen, or the result of your review is not yet available. Too many variables involved to cast speculation.

Are you sure your application has been viewed? Every school has a different process for reviewing applications, and it may be likely that yours hasn't been seen, or the result of your review is not yet available. Too many variables involved to cast speculation.
Not sure if it has been seen, but people who were complete after me and or have lower stats have gotten interviews.

Way too early to worry. I would bet solid money that there are lots of schools who haven't even sent out a single interview yet. I wouldn't begin to worry until later in the Fall. By the way, I got my first interview in late December.

Not sure if it has been seen, but people who were complete after me and or have lower stats have gotten interviews.
Everybody is telling you no, don't worry. You keep coming back with, "but, but, but..."
The only one left to chime in is LizzyM, who will tell you that you can start worrying if you have zero interview invitations (not the actual interview, just the invite) by Thanksgiving.

It's still summer. Stop it.

Reactions: 1 users
You're going to have the most stressful year ever if you're already this worried.

Reactions: 2 users

Too many variables are involved to cast speculation. Stats and complete date aren't ubiquitous indicators of review timelines. Maybe the admissions teams at Hofstra and Rochester were given specific instructions to allocate the initial interview slots to applicants with research experience that aligns with areas they'd like to focus on in the future, or have experience working with specific underserved groups. Unless you sit on the admissions committees of your applied schools, you will not know what goes on behind the scenes.

The cycle interview season generally starts in September and finishes in March-April. There's no need to have anxiety now. Or there is and you can spend the next 6 months waking up in the cold sweat of neuroticism.

Because your MCAT and GPA are the only thing that matter....
Obviously not-- just pointing this out because it seems that people getting interviews now seem to have 75+ LizzyM scores.

Thanks for all the advice-- I'll try to keep my mind off the applications for now :)

****, this is just August and you already started to worry about getting interviews???? Obviously another example of SDN neuroticism.

Reactions: 1 users
Relax, it's only August. I did not get my first interview until January.

It's ok. I mildly freak out about not getting IIs at places I haven't even submitted secondaries for. I guess that's good for getting my rear in gear to submit. I'm actually really glad I am working, getting back into volunteering, and taking a relatively tough course load this semester. It will help me forget about the interviews I don't get.

I submitted my AMCAS early in June and was hearing back with interviews as late as January-and I ended up getting accepted to those too

It's ok. I mildly freak out about not getting IIs at places I haven't even submitted secondaries for. I guess that's good for getting my rear in gear to submit. I'm actually really glad I am working, getting back into volunteering, and taking a relatively tough course load this semester. It will help me forget about the interviews I don't get.
I'm not sure if the tough course load is the best idea-you really never know, you might end up getting quite a few interviews and then having a tough courseload could be difficult to manage alongside it.

I'm not sure if the tough course load is the best idea-you really never know, you might end up getting quite a few interviews and then having a tough courseload could be difficult to manage alongside it.

I thought about that, but I'm not going full time and I need these classes as "requested" pre-reqs at just a few schools (you think you've done all your pre-reqs, then the occasional crazy school requests come about). Also, they're required pre-reqs if I don't get in this cycle for the schools I'm not qualified to apply to right now. I figure if I can't handle a few part-time classes and a few interviews, then I might not be able to handle medical school. On the other hand, I'm hoping Murphy's Law comes into play...