Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

No Job during undergrad-good or bad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Cofo, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I do not have a job and will never have a job during undergrad. During my future dental school interviews, will m interviewers bring this up during my interview? Will my interviewers think "Oh, he didn't have a job during undergrad, so it's no wonder he got terrific grades! All he had to do was study!"? ...I am hoping that the dental school will not think I had a really big advantage over the people who had to "work hard" during undergrad?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Snahster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    it's only bad if you do nothing with your free time. Basically what i'm saying is you should have great extracirriculars because you have all that free time.

4. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You are worrying WAYYYY to much, get through pre-reqs before worrying how they're going to judge you already, some people really can't work and study at the same time, and some people HAVE to

5. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not a big deal. Dental schools care way much more about your GPA, DAT and dental-related extracurriculars. A job is something extra and it will sure impress adcoms that you are able to handle school and work. However, it's only a bonus. Gl

6. Zanderale6

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree with this post. ... You don't necessarily need to have a job during undergrad, but you do need to do something other than school work. Get involved on a sports team, or club. Find something that you can stay involved in for multiple years (showing dedication). It also doesn't hurt to try to get elected to a leadership position ...

7. Gsman

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    man, there isnt ONE specific path to dental school.

ie you dont need to have THIS specific gpa, THIS dat score, THIS extracurricular activity, or THIS job.

you also shouldnt be asking which activities dental schools look for because there isnt any. They accept the person you have become naturally, NOT some product that some students in a forum have created.

One thing is certain is that dental schools dont want people who are doing things solely for the purpose or resume building.

Live YOUR life and do what YOU think is important.

8. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i dont think it will hurt you. i think schools care whether or not you can survive a rigorous curriculum. if you did work and got good grades then its a plus but not working wont hurt you.

9. RockstarDMD

RockstarDMD sUcCeSs iS mY OnLY OpTioN
    5+ Year Member

It is not a big deal.

10. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I didn't have a job and I got in. However I did play 2 Division 1 sports, so I really couldn't have a job.

11. collegeboy30000

collegeboy30000 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    First get the interview, then worry about this "possible" question.

And I don't think people bs when they say they work during undergrad. Full or part-time, its work, and it takes time from everything.

I worked full-time as an undergrad and while my GPA suffered I don't regret any of it.

Why can't you get above average grades if all your parents ask of you is to go to school and get good grades? Let's say you were born in the US, then we can assume English is your native language, and since you know you won't ever have to work during undergrad this means you are economically set.

There isn't a formula that you can write that equals acceptance into dental school. The only thing is that you can hope to have some luck when you apply.