No Job Shadow opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkidon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a non-traditional applicant (trying to apply for next cycle) and I just want to know where else to look for job shadow opportunities (other than free clinics or private practices)...

I have been asking dentists for job shadowing or volunteer opportunities and most of them (about 9 dentists) declined because they said the insurance has to cover patients and every employees.

Some said the patients want to keep their info private, it's about patient confidentiality...

I mean... are those reasons real? These reasons seem to be "reasonable," but if it is like that, how will I be able to do job shadow?

I am still asking and just thought it might be a good idea to stop by SDN:)

I did job shadow for about 100+ hours when I was working in the other country about 2 years ago..

Please advice

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like they are giving you the run-around and are too concerned about someone shadowing possibly slowing them down. I had the same problem in Maryland for the first 3 places I tried until I found a guy who was honestly one of the coolest guys I have ever met and let me shadow while he taught me and quizzed me on stuff. I learned a good amount too!

Sounds like bad luck man. Maybe it is just because I am passionate about teaching people stuff that I think its ridiculous that anyone would turn someone down who wants to learn (or at least act interested for a Letter ;) ). I mean, they would not be where they are without someone letting them shadow and teaching them dentistry so why not pay it forward?!?!?!

100 hours is sufficient in my opinion. I had just over that when I applied and it didn't hurt me at all.

Sounds like they are giving you the run-around and are too concerned about someone shadowing possibly slowing them down. I had the same problem in Maryland for the first 3 places I tried until I found a guy who was honestly one of the coolest guys I have ever met and let me shadow while he taught me and quizzed me on stuff. I learned a good amount too!

Sounds like bad luck man. Maybe it is just because I am passionate about teaching people stuff that I think its ridiculous that anyone would turn someone down who wants to learn (or at least act interested for a Letter ;) ). I mean, they would not be where they are without someone letting them shadow and teaching them dentistry so why not pay it forward?!?!?!

100 hours is sufficient in my opinion. I had just over that when I applied and it didn't hurt me at all.
Thanks for the reply. I was just worried about my job shadow experience was in another country and it was 2 years ago.. I am not sure if the school will take it.

I am still planning on visiting more dentists next week, hopefully I will find one! : )

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you try your own dentist? Maybe during a routine check up :D This is where you say you don't have a dentist :)

if you already have 100 hours down, i don't see why you'd need to complete any more hours. i think it'd be obvious to adcoms that you've seen it all (for the most part) and you're still determined to go into dentistry.. that's just my opinion.

I personally went on craigslist and emailed every ad within 10 miles of my home telling them i'd assist on a volunteer basis along with a cover letter and resume (MANY listings for dental assistants up on the 'healthcare' section - i live in the suburbs) and luckily got a couple responses. i know it sounds crappy, working for free. but to me, i feel like i'll get a lot more out of it instead of just shadowing... considering i'd put those same hours towards shadowing anyway, it's not like i'll be wasting my time. additionally, i had the same difficulty getting into a doctor's office to shadow. i feel like dentists don't really want kids floating around their office when they're trying to run a business. i know others have built strong, lasting relationships this way, but i have honestly had no such luck.

and i'm sure the doc is grateful; hopefully that results in a nice LOR, if all goes well (i start in a couple of days). good luck!

Did you try your own dentist? Maybe during a routine check up :D This is where you say you don't have a dentist :)

:) Yes. I did. She said she doesn't feel comfortable with that... :eek:

I have been asking around and got declined by 9 dentists...including my dentist.. oh well

if you already have 100 hours down, i don't see why you'd need to complete any more hours. i think it'd be obvious to adcoms that you've seen it all (for the most part) and you're still determined to go into dentistry.. that's just my opinion.

I personally went on craigslist and emailed every ad within 10 miles of my home telling them i'd assist on a volunteer basis along with a cover letter and resume (MANY listings for dental assistants up on the 'healthcare' section - i live in the suburbs) and luckily got a couple responses. i know it sounds crappy, working for free. but to me, i feel like i'll get a lot more out of it instead of just shadowing... considering i'd put those same hours towards shadowing anyway, it's not like i'll be wasting my time. additionally, i had the same difficulty getting into a doctor's office to shadow. i feel like dentists don't really want kids floating around their office when they're trying to run a business. i know others have built strong, lasting relationships this way, but i have honestly had no such luck.

and i'm sure the doc is grateful; hopefully that results in a nice LOR, if all goes well (i start in a couple of days). good luck!

Haha, I did the same thing with craigslist except I haven't received anything...
I do feel that dentists who are running the private practices are more conservative and they have more rules (which is understandable) oh well

I am just thinking that maybe dental school will need to see if I have experience in shadowing dentist in the US, not other countries... :rolleyes:

:thumbup:Good luck! I will be applying probably next cycle.

I usually just go on Yelp and look for dental offices that have a boat load of reviews or are close to 5 stars, they tend to be the best ones