No jobs for MA in Counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickeymouse93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read this entire thread and am now very discouraged. Is it really that hard to find a job once you're licensed a licensed mental health counselor? If that's true, please tell me. I would like to hear from some mental health counselors themselves to see if they got a job once they were licensed.
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/counselor/MS-Psychology-Counseling-is-not-enough/t4439/p4

Members don't see this ad.

MHC and MFT are very new compared to the MSW. Only just now the VA is recognizing them for mental health jobs within their organization. From what I have seen, a sizable majority still either prefer or only know of MSWs. I have heard MHCs and MFTs reign supreme in certain states (even those with booming private practices), but you are going to have to research that aspect. Do you have your LMHC, MHC, or are still going to school. If so, is it accredited?

I'm in my senior year of undergrad and really wanted to get my MA/MS in counseling. I just want to be able to find a job afterwards. My program would be CACREP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Search for MHCs and LMHCs to find out what opportunities you have in your area. Make sure as well that your future master level program has quality practicums and a good network. Ask current/former students. Look for other MHC friendly states as well for backups, timing is essential.

I will be moving the same year I graduate, so I was planning on doing my internship there (won't know what state it is until the year of... it's for my SO's job).

In NY, LMHCs are at a definite disadvantage on the job market compared to LCSWs. My mhc colleagues are employed, but it definitely made the road a little more challenging, and limits your options.

In NY, LMHCs are at a definite disadvantage on the job market compared to LCSWs. My mhc colleagues are employed, but it definitely made the road a little more challenging, and limits your options.
Will this ever change?

MHC and MFT are very new compared to the MSW. Only just now the VA is recognizing them for mental health jobs within their organization. From what I have seen, a sizable majority still either prefer or only know of MSWs. I have heard MHCs and MFTs reign supreme in certain states (even those with booming private practices), but you are going to have to research that aspect. Do you have your LMHC, MHC, or are still going to school. If so, is it accredited?

I previously served on the Board of Behavioral Science in California. This is where MFTs were invented in 1968. MFTs are not any more likely to find jobs than any other counselors. The new LPCCs are actually more popular. There simply are no jobs that require theses licenses. Private practice is more realistic.

I just graduated with my MA in counseling psychology in Oct 2013. I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor Associate in the state of Washington. I have hit nothing but roadblocks in my job search. Every single job out there requires "2 years full time experience", with some even requiring "2 years full time PAID POST LICENSURE experience". How in the world is anyone supposed to get that if they can't get hired in the first place? I have exactly one year, part time experience from my practicum, but most places don't even consider that. I have asked several people who work "in the biz" for their suggestions and all I get is "work for free". I can't do that - I have student loans to pay and a family to support! I am fortunate that I do have a full time job (as a mail carrier), but it is frustrating beyond belief to have gone to school all these years and put in all this hard work only to have the door firmly slammed in my face at the end.

One of our clinics lost its contract to a competitor. The competitor only hires licensed clinicians, leading to unemployment to prelicensed therapists already working at the clinic. The new contractor stated that they do not want to deal with having to provide supervision to interns. It's a sad development.

I just graduated with my MA in counseling psychology in Oct 2013. I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor Associate in the state of Washington. I have hit nothing but roadblocks in my job search. Every single job out there requires "2 years full time experience", with some even requiring "2 years full time PAID POST LICENSURE experience". How in the world is anyone supposed to get that if they can't get hired in the first place? I have exactly one year, part time experience from my practicum, but most places don't even consider that. I have asked several people who work "in the biz" for their suggestions and all I get is "work for free". I can't do that - I have student loans to pay and a family to support! I am fortunate that I do have a full time job (as a mail carrier), but it is frustrating beyond belief to have gone to school all these years and put in all this hard work only to have the door firmly slammed in my face at the end.

CMHCs are how most LMHCs gain experience towards licensure in your state.

I read this entire thread and am now very discouraged. Is it really that hard to find a job once you're licensed a licensed mental health counselor? If that's true, please tell me. I would like to hear from some mental health counselors themselves to see if they got a job once they were licensed.
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/counselor/MS-Psychology-Counseling-is-not-enough/t4439/p4

I'm an LMHC licensed in both Florida and Hawaii. I had no trouble finding work in Florida but here in Hawaii there seems to be a very strong bias toward Social Work. All the hospitals and military installations advertise for social workers to the exclusion of MHC and MFT. I think given my experience, that it all depends on geographical location.

Have you tried Community Mental Health? It's been my experience that most unlicensed people don't have trouble getting hired in community mental health centers. The benefit to working there for such little pay is that they typically provide supervision for free.

Reactions: 1 user