No leadership=kiss of death?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RdBruce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Uh Uh, I posted a similar question in WAMC. This has a followup to the one before though.

Hi guys,

I'm a senior who is planning to apply after graduating. I have a 3.9+ (sci+cum) GPA and a 34 MCAT. I've ~8 months of basic sciences research with a publication, and ~200 hours of hospital volunteering so far.

I'm worried because I've essentially no leadership experience and it's a hole in my application. I've been an active member of several clubs/organizations in college but did not pursue leadership positions because I wasn't planning on committing to medicine until recently (I made the decision this summer after shadowing two physicians; I took a few weeks to study and took the MCAT towards the end of the summer).

I fear I haven't been proactive enough in my extracurriculars.
-How much will not having leadership experience hurt my application?
-Could the strengths of other parts of my application compensate? My goal is to get into any US Allopathic school.

I'm planning on doing long term volunteering with an organization like the Jesuit Volunteer Corps during my gap year.
-Would leadership experiences as a graduate be looked upon worse compared to those done during undergrad?

I wasn't as mature during my first 3 years of college as I am now and I hope I haven't burned any bridges by not being well-rounded enough during undergrad.

Thank you for your attention!

Members don't see this ad.

Ever been a TA, tutor, team captain, manager, shift leader?

Ever took care of 10 little kids or taught them how to dance/play ball?

I don't think it's a "kiss of death blah blah" if you have an otherwise strong application. Also, you can probably put a leadership spin on a lot of your experiences.

However, at one interview, I was straight up asked "When I got back to present you to the admissions committee, they will want to know what sort of leadership experiences you have. What should I tell them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your app looks pretty strong and if you're looking just to get into US MD, then I think you'll look fine on paper. I didn't have any formal leadership and I'm doing alright for now. Can't say if this is the case when you start applying to higher up schools though.

Play up whatever you have. I was a head lifeguard, a convention delegate, and a camp counselor. These were three, seven, and ten years ago, respectively. I was really reaching but I had an anecdote for each that put me in a good light; good interview, got accepted.

We're allowed to use experiences from before college?

Well... I've been out of college three years, and I've had no one to lead for a while. Only the camp counselor thing was before college. But yeah, if it's meaningful and you have no choice, pre-college stuff should be ok.

If you have a 4.0 45 MCat with no leadership you may as well start working at McDonalds.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why not, they're still experiences, right?

I'm a senior in high school looking for things that I should consider during college, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to recollect my past experiences.

On the other hand, how would adcoms look at leadership experience after graduation? Would they look at leadership experience from full-time work or outside of work worse than stuff from college?

I'm just hopping that I can compensate for any deficiencies from undergrad during my gap year(s).

IF you are applying to top tiers, someone with similar stats as you WITH leadership experience might be more favorable pre-interview. Of course, if you nail your interview, you can just as favorably get the spot.

I don't really have any leadership, you can take a look at my profile in July or something to see how I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your offer kpcrew2oo2, I'll be wishing you multiple acceptances then :).

Has anyone on SDN been accepted without leadership experience?
What I'd really like to know though is if I can compensate with having poor ECs with experience during my gap year(s).

Thank you for your offer kpcrew2oo2, I'll be wishing you multiple acceptances then :).

Has anyone on SDN been accepted without leadership experience?
What I'd really like to know though is if I can compensate with having poor ECs with experience during my gap year(s).
My stats are 3.7cgpa, 3.6sgpa, 32MCAT 11v 11b 10p, no research, no leadership, ~30 hours hospital volunteering and 4 hours shadowing at time of interview, accepted EDP. So yes, people are accepted without leadership, like anything else, it increases your chances, it doesn't make or break you.

When I apply, I'll try to spin everything I do/did (tutoring, etc.).

If you have an experience like that, use it.

doctors are leaders

Getting a leadership position is not really that hard. I got two in a two month span.

I don't know how many of you have actually interacted with medical students but I can tell you that there is a clear distinction between those who matriculate and those who don't get an acceptance. So I would say leadership is important.

3.9/34 is overqualified for the Caribbeans :p

Thank you guys for your responses.

Am I missing anything else? I'm planning on doing more shadowing and getting non-medical community service.

I'm going to stay vigilant in looking for leadership opportunities.
My #1 concern is still this though: Will leadership experiences after college be looked upon poorly compared to ones done during college?

Did I shoot myself in the foot by not being well-rounded enough in college? I don't care if I have to take multiple gap years as long as I can improve myself into being a successful applicant.

It makes little difference. I think the median age for med school matriculants is now 24.

Dude/Dudette. Chill out. You're fine.

Uh Uh, I posted a similar question in WAMC. This has a followup to the one before though.

Hi guys,

I'm a senior who is planning to apply after graduating. I have a 3.9+ (sci+cum) GPA and a 34 MCAT. I've ~8 months of basic sciences research with a publication, and ~200 hours of hospital volunteering so far.

I'm worried because I've essentially no leadership experience and it's a hole in my application. I've been an active member of several clubs/organizations in college but did not pursue leadership positions because I wasn't planning on committing to medicine until recently (I made the decision this summer after shadowing two physicians; I took a few weeks to study and took the MCAT towards the end of the summer).

I fear I haven't been proactive enough in my extracurriculars.
-How much will not having leadership experience hurt my application?
-Could the strengths of other parts of my application compensate? My goal is to get into any US Allopathic school.

I'm planning on doing long term volunteering with an organization like the Jesuit Volunteer Corps during my gap year.
-Would leadership experiences as a graduate be looked upon worse compared to those done during undergrad?

I wasn't as mature during my first 3 years of college as I am now and I hope I haven't burned any bridges by not being well-rounded enough during undergrad.

Thank you for your attention!

Come on now, be creative here. Include activities outside of school which had leadership implications. You ought to get interviews.

The only kisses of death are a MCAT well below 30, a GPA well below 3.5, or some kind of academic/social misconduct. ECs really aren't that important as long as you meet some bare requirements (some shadowing, some volunteering).