No letters have been submitted yet...........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestcoast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I go about this.
Here's the timeline for my LORS:
#1: asked at the end of July elective, still keeping in touch (phone calls every week regarding a project we are working on)
#2: asked at the end of July elective, still bumping into each other at the department
#3: asked at the end of Aug elective
#4: asked at the end of Aug elective
#5: asked at the end of Aug elective, from a clerkship director
#6: asked at the end of Aug elective, from another clerkship director

Should I send reminders or should I just wait a bit longer?

Members don't see this ad.

How should I go about this.
Here's the timeline for my LORS:
#1: asked at the end of July elective, still keeping in touch (phone calls every week regarding a project we are working on)
#2: asked at the end of July elective, still bumping into each other at the department
#3: asked at the end of Aug elective
#4: asked at the end of Aug elective
#5: asked at the end of Aug elective, from a clerkship director
#6: asked at the end of Aug elective, from another clerkship director

Should I send reminders or should I just wait a bit longer?

For 1 and 2, have you not been mentioning it every time you see/talk to these people? Because if you haven't, that's crazy talk.

As for 3-6, if it's only been a week or 2 (including a holiday weekend there in the middle and the start of the academic year which may be impacting those people's time) I'd give it until mid-week next week and then send a nice reminder email or a quick phone call.

Send the ones at the end of July a reminder because either they've forgotten or they are procrastinating. For the ones in August, send a reminder at the 2-3 week mark since asking.

They've got other priorities and unless you send frequent (weekly to biweekly) reminders, the possibility of them never getting it done is high.

For 1 and 2, have you not been mentioning it every time you see/talk to these people? Because if you haven't, that's crazy talk.

As for 3-6, if it's only been a week or 2 (including a holiday weekend there in the middle and the start of the academic year which may be impacting those people's time) I'd give it until mid-week next week and then send a nice reminder email or a quick phone call.

At this point a quick phone call is probably better. I was missing 2/4 LORs and I sent another reminder email with no response from one of them. So I called him and he must've felt guilty b/c he wrote it that night and had emailed it to my school by the next AM. Emails are easy to ignore or put off til later and forget about even though they know app season is open and that you're anxiously waiting on them. A phone call is harder to ignore...

Dropping off a thank-you card at their office worked for my July procrastinator (asked in July, letter finally uploaded 9/20...)