Jun 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
hi, I applied to 8 schools this year, but didn't get any interviews:(. I am non-trad applicant and took all prerep in CC. I have 3.5 oGPA and 4.0 sGPA (all from CC) and 19AA 20TS and 21PAT.

I shadowed 200+hrs last year and willing to shadow dentists more. I am def reapplying next cycle and hoping to get in next year:xf:. can you give any advice if there's anything that I can focus to be stronger applicant?

Apr 4, 2010
Status
hi, I applied to 8 schools this year, but didn't get any interviews:(. I am non-trad applicant and took all prerep in CC. I have 3.5 oGPA and 4.0 sGPA (all from CC) and 19AA 20TS and 21PAT.

I shadowed 200+hrs last year and willing to shadow dentists more. I am def reapplying next cycle and hoping to get in next year:xf:. can you give any advice if there's anything that I can focus to be stronger applicant?
Did you apply late? Take a few upper level bios at a University:

Microbiology, Biochem, Anatomy....things like that. Sorry it worked out that way. Work on your Personal statement, letters of recommendation.

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Yeah taking all pre-reqs at CC definitely is not helping you, also, apply early this next cycle, unless you already did this cycle.

M

Mte123

Check the schools. Alot of schools say that their requirements cannot be fulfilled at community college. Its almost like not taking them. Find a school that is okay with it. I don't even think taking advanced bios will help. For example, I know UMDNJ doesn't take AP's and that taking advanced bios won't fulfill their bio req.

Last edited by a moderator:

customx

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Reading stories like this really makes me wonder if I should be taking classes at CC myself. I'm a non-trad student as well and am only taking chem right now because bio1 and chem1 were full at my local 4 year school. Your scores seem good enough to at least get one interview, unless you applied late or wrote an awful personal statement.

Oct 8, 2009
Status
You don't need any more hours of shadowing. I would focus on your EC at this point. What schools did you apply to?

Simple Jack

7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Dentist

When exactly did you apply?

Jul 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I dont necessarily agree with the anti-CC sentiment...it seems like a great, cost effective way to inflate the GPA. Besides, since your DAT scores match a high GPA, this is viewed positively. I've seen plenty of posts on here with 3.9GPA from CC and a plethora of their acceptances. I think the only drawback would be you cannot apply to Tufts (maybe others), or if you don't get a high GPA (3.8+) that might hurt you.

Some questions you have to ask yourself would be: enough leadership positions, enough research, did my application timeline make sense (early enough), and is my personal statement good or bad?

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
One would expect a higher AA score from someone with a 4.0 sGPA.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
this is the reason why I always tell people to stay away from CC courses. Why take a chance during these ultra competitive times?

From this point forward, start taking upper level sciences at a 4-year univer, If you haven't done this already, your gonna bascially apply again this year with the same stats as last year and I personally don't know how negativly this will impact you since your application looks the same as last year.

You can still apply again this year, but instead of 8 schools, aim for 15+ and make sure none of the ones You apply to have issues with CC credits... In the same time, start doing post-bacc with upper level sciences at a 4-year univer incase you don't get in this cycle again....

Good luck to you

Jun 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I applied on june, but the app was submitted very late (end of oct). so basically the app was completed at the end of oct...
I will def take upper level science courses at 4 yr univ next semester. I am thinking about taking genetics and microbio.
I really appreciate your advices and hope I can get in next year :thumbup:!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
I applied on june, but the app was submitted very late (end of oct). so basically the app was completed at the end of oct...
I will def take upper level science courses at 4 yr univ next semester. I am thinking about taking genetics and microbio.
I really appreciate your advices and hope I can get in next year :thumbup:!
umm... well maybe you didn't get in anywhere because you applied very late. I mean late october is 1 month away from final deadline of submission

But I think your new plan is good, it can only help you right? Good luck to ya :)

M

Mte123

umm... well maybe you didn't get in anywhere because you applied very late. I mean late october is 1 month away from final deadline of submission

But I think your new plan is good, it can only help you right? Good luck to ya :)
Check the schools. I know Ohio State says on their list of requirements that the prereqs CANNOT be fulfilled with CC credit. You have to find the right schools.
Is October really that late? I had my application in by then but I told my school to wait until January when I retook my DATs and I got in...