No love from home state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HBSlim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is in a similar situation as I am. My top two choices are schools in my state of residence and I've been rejected from one and waitlisted at the other (as an aside, no, I'm not from Cali). I've been fortunate enough to be accepted at some MD and DO schools in other states though (which is why I've been trying to keep my whining to a minimum). It will be much more expensive for me to leave the state as opposed to staying closer to home. Also, I would like to eventually practice medicine in my home state and I would guess it would be easier to get a residency in my home state (and eventually a job) if I go to my state school. It's just disheartening to know that other state schools are willing to accept me but I'm not getting any love from my home state! I guess my question is, are there any other people who are dealing with a similar situation?

I would guess that plenty of the applicants from Cali have dealt with this but has anyone from a state with less competitive schools experienced this?

Members don't see this ad.

This is exactly what happened to me. I live in Illinois but I was rejected from U of I and SIU but put on hold at Rosalind Franklin. Loyola and Rush never even interviewed me and I didn't apply to U of Chicago or Northwestern because their MCAT scores are out of my league.

Funny thing is, I was accepted at Wayne State in Michigan. Go figure.

haven't been rejected yet, but 3 months after interviewing i'm still hearing crickets down here in AZ with a 4.0/36. like you, i want to stay in state. too bad i ONLY applied to my state schools..

Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly what happened to me. I live in Illinois but I was rejected from U of I and SIU but put on hold at Rosalind Franklin. Loyola and Rush never even interviewed me and I didn't apply to U of Chicago or Northwestern because their MCAT scores are out of my league.

Funny thing is, I was accepted at Wayne State in Michigan. Go figure.

I saw in you MDApps that you got in at DMU as well. I went to undergrad in Iowa and heard a lot of good things about DMU. Hopefully it works out with Rosalind Franklin though (assuming that's your top choice now).

haven't been rejected yet, but 3 months after interviewing i'm still hearing crickets down here in AZ with a 4.0/36. like you, i want to stay in state. too bad i ONLY applied to my state schools..

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Do you know if it's typical for AZ schools to take a long time to get back to applicants after interviews? Hopefully you hear something soon!

Yea, I'm pretty torn between DMU and Wayne right now. I like both for different reasons. I'm going to wait and see what financial aid I get from both schools then go from there.