No love from Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know the feeling sooner :):)

The problem is, even if you don't get the letter today, you COULD get it tomorrow...they should just send letters to people who make it to the next round as well. Otherwise we're all sitting on pins and needles hoping for an empty mailbox...:(

-Ice

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I would have been rejected pre-secondary. Instead, they dragged it on until the post-secondary. By then, I was so mad at them for taking so long that I appealed and was rejected a second time.

Med schools applications are like girls, better get rejected on the first date, it stings a lot less and saves you money.

"Med schools applications are like girls, better get rejected on the first date, it stings a lot less and saves you money."

Haha...Nice analogy

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received a secondary, and do they do an y communication via email? I am out of the us and this is driving me nuts not beig able to check my mail..

For those who have received notice from Stanford, what does your status page say?

http://sms.stanford.edu/sms/

I'm out of the country, so I don't know what's in my mail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OK checked the stanford status site (which didn't know I existed) and found this message:
"Note: All queries on this database are logged"
Whaa?? Does this mean they know when we're being obsessive and checking our status every 5 mins? and would they hold it against us? I may have to learn some restraint. lol :scared:

my status page is useless. it is basically just blank...
date supplement received...blank
fee paid....blank
letters of recommendation received...blank
file complete...no

yeah no kidding my file isn't complete. that's really helpful. i don't even know whether i've been rejected or invited to fill out a supplement yet.

Originally posted by Grumpy Bear
OK checked the stanford status site (which didn't know I existed) and found this message:
"Note: All queries on this database are logged"
Whaa?? Does this mean they know when we're being obsessive and checking our status every 5 mins? and would they hold it against us? I may have to learn some restraint. lol :scared:

LOL, I saw that too. Apparently last year -- or maybe the yr before? -- Stanford emailed people to chill with the status checking after monitoring people's query requests

Originally posted by Lux Aeterna
LOL, I saw that too. Apparently last year -- or maybe the yr before? -- Stanford emailed people to chill with the status checking after monitoring people's query requests

eep! I guess I should quit checking. Or maybe, instead of e-mailing people to quit checking, they could e-mail us and tell us what our freaking status is! :rolleyes:

it's better to be rejected now than to invest resources, effort, and money just to be rejected later. a rejection is a rejection when it comes down to it... better off saving money.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
it's better to be rejected now than to invest resources, effort, and money just to be rejected later. a rejection is a rejection when it comes down to it... better off saving money.

Agreed, well put. Street, for your UM interview where did you stay and how did you get from Detroit Airport to Ann Arbor? Is all this information going to come to me later in a packet Im guessing?

Thanks

For UMich I stayed at a hotel and took a shuttle from Detroit Wayne Airport to Ann Arbor. The hotel was Candlewood Suites which is kind of far from the med campus (about 2 miles) but it was the cheapest and had a pretty nice room to boot. I forgot what the shuttle company was, but it was about 20+ bucks each way, which is not bad considering the distance.

I think what you can also do is to stay at one of the major hotels in Ann Arbor, like Holiday Inn, Ramada, Sheraton, etc... I think those hotels might offer free shuttles to Ann Arbor from Detroit Wayne. That's what I did when I was at Pittsburgh. I'm not sure, but it's at least worth looking into.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
For UMich I stayed at a hotel and took a shuttle from Detroit Wayne Airport to Ann Arbor. The hotel was Candlewood Suites which is kind of far from the med campus (about 2 miles) but it was the cheapest and had a pretty nice room to boot. I forgot what the shuttle company was, but it was about 20+ bucks each way, which is not bad considering the distance.

I think what you can also do is to stay at one of the major hotels in Ann Arbor, like Holiday Inn, Ramada, Sheraton, etc... I think those hotels might offer free shuttles to Ann Arbor from Detroit Wayne. That's what I did when I was at Pittsburgh. I'm not sure, but it's at least worth looking into.

Cool, thanks a ton Street!

Yup, I see the infamous Stanford rejections have hit the newstands. I definitely agree that getting rejected now is a lot better than being dragged along for 13 more months before finally getting the boot. Hard as it is to believe, you'll be thanking them later on...well maybe not thanking them, but you get the point. Good luck everyone, and don't let one rejection ruin your summer.

Hey kids...

Don't feel bad. Not only did I go to Stanford and get the stats, but I headed up their breast cancer clinical trials for 3 years and didn't get interviewed, getting my post-secondary rejection last February. Yeah, they kinda led me on. But I really learned, sadly, that it's not a personal thing.

Go where you fit. :) I couldn't be happier.

(but good luck to you all!)