Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

No love...no love at all

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kellylynn56, Dec 15, 2008.

1. kellylynn56

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Man, dental schools aren't showing me any love!! Here are my stats, let me know what you guys think is going on.

GPA: 3.5
    Sci GPA: 3.4
    DAT: Bio- 21
    GChem-18
    OChem-15
    PAT- 17
    QR- 18
    RC- 23
    TS- 17
    AA- 19
    I have two degrees, one in biology and the other in communication disorders. I have two years of research experience. Over 200 hours of shadowing and over 5000 hours of volunteer experience. I've been working as an orthodontic assistant for 3 months. And I had a lot of people review my PS, so I think it's pretty ok. I submitted in early June and took my DAT in September. My statuses at the following schools are:

ASDOH-aadsas blank, but denied by snail mail
    LLU-denied
    UoP-under review
    USC-application complete
    Western-aadsas blank, but app complete by email
    Nova-denied
    Louisville-I have an interview here on Jan 12. My only interview!
    BU-under review
    Tufts-under review
    UMKC-denied
    NYU-aadsas blank, but app complete by email
    Temple-under review

LSU and Memphis too...haven't heard back yet, just that my app is complete

Why am I getting no love from any of these schools but Louisville? I know that 15 in Ochem sucks, but is that going to keep me from getting in anywhere? Any feedback anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TempleDMDKrazd

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i say a 15 in Ochem is what is hindering you. minimum in each section should be 17-18 (more of 18 to be on the safe side). a 17 overall for TS isnt too impressive.

4. AlwaysImproving

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Tell us more details about your LORs

5. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    15 in QR might've been fine but not in OC. Your TS (due to that OC) is only 17 (not so good). PAT of 17 can be questionable as well. Schools interview till Feb/March so it's not over yet. But hey, remember, all you need is one acceptance.

6. kellylynn56

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    My LORs are from the professor who was my research advisor for 2 years, another science professor, and a dentist that I shadowed. I'm also an Arkansas resident, so no instate school. Man I know that 15 is cruddy. I'm just hoping for one acceptance. Just one!

7. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ???how can you help the OP with that info???

8. AlwaysImproving

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Weird how you only have 1 interview so far. With yours stats, I think you will have more than 1 acceptance!! Just wait a little longer and I wish you the best:luck::xf:

9. Doh Boy Fresh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you're TS is a 17...the average for matriculants is a 19 these days. ... if you don't get in this cycle, maybe consider retaking the DAT. good luck with the rest of the cycle.

10. RealDeal

2+ Year Member

Where did you get your degree from? And when?

11. ramforte

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    look your GPA is average but your DAT scores are not high enough, becasue you took the DAT late your application was completed late and that hindered your chances, with these numbers you definitely need to apply and have your application completed in June or early july, or retake the DAT and score over 20 in most categories and you'll have a better shot. I had AA 20, TS 21 and PAT 22 and applied late last year and only got into one school, this year I rapplied very early (may 20th) and Voila my firrst choice school (GPA 3.4) . Good Luck

12. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Good luck at your Louisville interview. Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

13. ou_jay

ou_jay Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    It's too late now, but in case you have to reapply next year, I'm pretty sure you can apply to Oklahoma as a resident. This increases your chance of getting in and lowers your tuition. I believe we have an exchange program with Arkansas where majors not offered in one state can be taken in the other as a resident. Call someone at the school to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that is how it works.

14. klpennin

klpennin 20/22/20
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think its your TS score (17) that is holding you back. They may think that you cannot handle the courses in dental school.

15. promolion

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    should of apply to western. i saw a 3.0 got in......

16. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You got 4 marks that were 18 or below. Coupled with a 17 TS and a 3.4 GPA it will be tough to get in this cycle, and if the patterns continue, it will be even oughr next cycle. I would retake the DAT with a strong emphasis on the sciences. You will need at least a 19 AA and 19 TS to be on par with most schools.