No luck finding a job in a pharmacy any suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miked123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have applied on line and called all the walgreens, cvs, and targets in my area. (which is Baltimore) None of them seem to be hiring. I originally wanted to go with a big chain because of all the different programs they have, tuition assistance etc. but I think I may start looking @ individually owned stores just to get my foot in the door.

Any one have a hard time with this or have any suggestions for me.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Like you said, I would go to the independent stores and talk with the pharmacists there. Tell them are you wanting to go to pharmacy school. If you get to know them you are more likely to get a job. You could also try local hospitals and see if they are hiring techs. I know how long it takes to get a job but don't give up! You may also want to get certified, it may help improve your chances. That way you don't have to go through training to get certified and may improve your chances.

It might help to get some volunteer hours at a hospital. In my area, if you volunteer at a hospital for I think 70 hours, they'll write recommendation letters and everything for a job and for pharmacy school. It might help.

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied all the way from west side of town to the east, eventually end up working in the ghetto. Go look for other areas, you live in a big city, you should be no problem. I looked for a job for 3 months.

It might help to get some volunteer hours at a hospital. In my area, if you volunteer at a hospital for I think 70 hours, they'll write recommendation letters and everything for a job and for pharmacy school. It might help.

Bingo. I volunteered for two yrs (by choice) before i got a job as a tech.

I also volunteered in the hospital pharmacy before I received a tech position. If you are not certified, this might be your best option to making your worth known. If you are willing the work during the "less than desirable" shifts (evening/overnights/weekends/holidays), your chances for an offer may also increase.

Hey,

I have applied on line and called all the walgreens, cvs, and targets in my area. (which is Baltimore) None of them seem to be hiring. I originally wanted to go with a big chain because of all the different programs they have, tuition assistance etc. but I think I may start looking @ individually owned stores just to get my foot in the door.

Thanks in advance

I live in southern california, and have been through it. I took the PTCB and got my tech license, and still couldn't find a job b/c i didn't have any experience, esp in a hospital. Since i took the PTCB test and didn't go through the year of tech school, i didn't get any internships and wasn't trained on doing IV's or anything else.

so i volunteered at a clinic (as a tech) and volunteered at an independant compounding pharmacy (as a tech) and did that for a couple months. I finally found another independant pharmacy who was looking to hire. Bad thing about independant, all the wages and raises are up to the owner. So if he wants to pay you 8.50/hr, he can . (that really sucked) but you just need to get your foot in the door, right?

good luck, and don't give up. try every angle, even ask friends for favors,

Hey,

Thanks in advance

I did the same thing and never got called. I finally took some advice and walked into a couple of pharmacies to talk to the pharmacists personally. I only stopped in three locations and found a store that needed help. I also brought my own resume because the online applications don't give enough detail about your credentials. I also believe that places like Walgreens, CVS, and Target like when you show the initiative in pursuing employment. Apparently they receive so many applications online that it is difficult to filter through them. Hope that helps.