No money for deposit?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by HooahDOc, Mar 13, 2004.

1. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just curious, what happens if you don't have the money for the outrageously expensive DO deposits? You lose your spot?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Pretty much. So choose wisely.

3. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How come when I read this...I imagine the crusader from Indiana Jones and the Late Crusade. :laugh:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. I think you could call the schools and try to work something out with them.

5. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

Your spot will be given to another applicant. I know this from experience my friend had.

6. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ok, here is an actual response instead of a smarta$$ answer.

I had the same problem. I am living off loans for my MPH program. Well, I was smart and thought ahead and took out extra money. Why? Because I knew I would be traveling for interviews and needed airfare and hotel stays. What I didn't anticipate was the deposits. I knew about them but never added them into my fund.

This leads me to this week, I needed a second deposit. On top of that, I realize now that I NEED to have extra money to move on this summer. This means first/last months rent plus deposit for an apartment. I don't want to live on campus at all.

So...I was in a situation. Lucky for me my parents gave me a loan for the deposit. (they said they'll be making me give them cruises once I am out of school) I am going to get a credit card for the apartment fees this summer. I hate credit cards and don't own one. I love my debit card. So, the word is suck it up and if you need to borrow the money until your financial aid package comes through. This is most likely in the first week of school. Your not alone in neededing mone, a lot of us are hurting.

7. OP
    OP
    HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    Anyone know if Uncle Sam will pay or reimburse for the deposit if you're selected for HPSP? I mean it does go towards tuition...

8. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You will lose your spot. Is there anyone you know that you can borrow it from? I mean you will be getting it paid back to you when you get your finacical aid check in the fall and then you can pay them back. you could show them your school's aid info so that you can prove to them that you will be getting money when classes start.

Or if you have a bank you could talk to them and get a short term loan. Tell them your situation. Or if you have a credit card you could take out an advance.

Good luck

9. OP
    OP
    HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    No way I could get a loan: crappy credit. My family have their own financial problems. My grandfather *might* would help me out, but I dunno how much of his horde he has left. He won a big lawsuit years ago, but other family members have slowly pecked away at his savings.

I guess I could apply to fewer schools to save some cash; that would definitely help out. I have 10 schools on my list but some of them I really don't wanna go to, just have them on there, "just in case". I guess it really depends on how my stats turn out before I can determine the number of schools to apply.

10. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    He chose.....poorly.

11. USFOptho

USFOptho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What kind of money are we talking about for these deposits? Anyone have a range of least to most $$ for them? And how many deposits are required?

12. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    VCOM's deposit was $1000

13. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well for NSUCOM I put in $250 in December and $750 by March 15th. I will have a final $1000 by May 15th. So, totally thats 2K.

14. sportsmedicjim

sportsmedicjim Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi!

Call your school, explain your situation, and send them something right away! Send money every week...

Deliver newspapers in the wee hours, (I did it for an extra $200 a week)...in 5 weeks you will have made $1000 !

If you have to wear a sign next to an intersection, begging for money...do it!

Jim
    MUSC
    Class of 2008

15. XCanadianRagwee

XCanadianRagwee Membership Revoked
    Removed

Call your school if the need arises. I had to, and they gave me an extra two weeks (that's because I told them that I would have the money in that time frame-I wanted three just to be 100% certain, but I got two weeks and everything was OK).

Most schools are very understanding of the situation, and will be more than happy to help.

(A friend at the same school got an extra two months to make the payment).

By the way AZCOM is $1,000. $250 due in mid December, $750 due in early March. If accepted after March $1,000 due when you tell them you are matriculating.

16. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

Are you headed to AZCOM?

17. suzette

suzette Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,
    Nycom's deposit was 500
    PCOM-250
    TUCOM- 2000
    They range depending on the school. You should call the school and ask.
    Good Luck!

18. XCanadianRagwee

Removed

I thought I was until yesterday.

19. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

OSU-COM's is only $100.

20. XCanadianRagwee

Removed

JKDMed or anyone else applying to AZCOM...

I put the first portion of the deposit down (nonrefundable), and found out I won't be attending, so if there's a way to have my $250 go to your deposit...more power to you.