no more caries??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilebright

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever though about what dentists would do if there were no more caries. sealants have been around for years and are gaining popularity. with continued research new ways to control and prevent decay may soon be at hand. considering how much of dentistry is based on treating caries based problems has anyone considered that fact the one dentist may become non existant.

Members don't see this ad.

Not in our life. Nor our childrens. Or theirs.
Dentists will always be needed, period. Carious lesions are only a fraction of dentistry. Sealants aren't the answer and with research placing genetics as a possible factor in carious lesions----we may never solve the bacteria nightmare. Point being----dentition is only part of the battle. Periodontal disease will still be prevalent----even if a so called super-sealant is made. Mal-occlusion will definitely need to be corrected. TMJ or TMD will continue to survive. Oral cancers and wisdom teeth will still need to be addressed. Routine exams and cosmetic appointments will still be made. Accidental fractures and bone decay will still occur. Aging will continue to weaken the enamel and sooner or later periodontal disease sets in and with that dentures, bridges and the like. Smokeless chewing tobacco isn't going anywhere. ETC... Economics will also play a role in who can afford this wonder treatment. Obviously we don't want to wipe out are oral bacteria-----therefore we could be creating a new strain of bacteria; one that will be more resistant to our Super-sealant. Bottom line is bacteria is one of the most adaptive, cunning, and resistant organisms that won't be defeated after 4.6 billion years of living! It simply evolves.
Isn't it beautiful in a way? :eek:

R.R.B

I heard on the news that scientists in Germany are devising a VACCINE against bacteria in the mouth, thereby preventing tooth decay and plaque.

= Unemployment of general dentists everywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
Evidently you don't know much about the oral cavity. Rather than give you a dissertation on dental anatomy, bichemistry, physiology, and microbiology----I'll simply wait for my vaccination :p ;)!!

R.R.B

I ENTERED THIS POST AS KIND OF A WHAT IF QUESTION. I DON'T THINK THAT THE PROFESSION IS IN ANY DANGER OF BECOMING EXTINCT. YOU GUYS SEEM KIND OF DEFENSIVE. PLEASE DON'T TAKE ANY OF THIS AS AN ATTACK ON DENTISTRY. I APPLAUDE AND LOOK FORWARD TO ANY ADVANCES THAT ****** OR PREVENT CARIES. BUT IF MORE WERE TO COME OUT AS DENTIST WE WOULD LIKELY BE PERFORMING THE TREATMENT AND THEREFORE STILL BE IN PRACTICE.

Most dental problems that require invasive correction are due to periods of neglect. Habits of people are difficult to change.

Average life spans continue to increase in developed countries. Wear and tear on teeth and supporting tissues is a function of aging.

As stated above, bacteria multiply rapidly. The speed of adaptation to new stress by a species is a function of its rate of reproduction.

Here's another thing to think about and why if(and this is the world'd largest if :rolleyes: )a completely 100% effective anti caries vaccine is made(extreme laughter please)that atleast 1 more generation of dentists will be needed(and this doesn't include trauma, cosmetic, and pathological reasons for dentists). All of the BILLIONS of existing restorations only have a finite life span and will need replacing at some point. Also, over time the vast majority of sealants placed will also need replacement.

In my own opinion, with the dietary trend of the US population as a whole in terms of a generalized increase in sugar consumption, caries is and will continue to be a big problem (remember a 20 oz bottle of mountain dew has 19 tsp. of sugar). Also, if it is an anti-caries vaccine, the same love of injections that keeps many folks away from the dentist office will keep folks from getting the vaccine. Strep Mutans will be around and continue to prosper for atleast another generation of people ;) ;)