No O-Chem II Lab = Doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ecstatic

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to a medical school, however, I have a problem. I have taken all pre-reqs except Organic Chem II LAB. I have taken O chem I both lecture & lab, but only O Chem II lecture-- and did well, incidentally. I indicated that I would take it during the spring, but was not able to do this for various reasons. My O Chem I Lab counted as two credit hours and I have completed the number of credit hours necessary in Organic Chemistry, but am only missing O Chem II Lab.

What should I do? Will my acceptance be revoked? It is obviously too late to take it now and I have heard of many cases where O Chem II Lab is really not necessary at all, but I'm still very worried, particularly since it is a science pre-req.

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

Members don't see this ad.

HI, welcome to SDN!! :D

I think you should contact the schools you have been accepted to and ask them what you should do. Tell them you were unable to take the class and ask if it will be necesary to maintain your acceptance.

Pshaw, not to worry! :) It's not to late to take it if you want. I graduated last May and have been accepted to med school, but am just now picking up the organic sequences. I am taking Orgo I and the lab right now, and will take Orgo II and the lab this summer in time for matricuation this fall. The only difficult thing for me is trying to plan the timing on buying/selling homes and moving halfway across the state with my class schedules.

Also note that the school I was accepted to allows you to substitute one semester of biochem for the 2nd orgo lab. Perhaps you can do something similar at your school? Not sure if it would help or not but I figured it was worth mentioning. :)

Best wishes!
Raina

Members don't see this ad :)
since you were already accepted i think you probably shouldn't be worrying too much about this-- if your school was that concerned chances are they probably wouldn't have offered you a place in the class, you know?

I only took one organic chemistry lab and did not state I would take another semester of it. The schools I applied to allowed me to count the one lab as the requirement. Mine was a 3 credit course though, so check to see if your 2 credit course can count for the entire year's worth.

First, thank you for the warm welcome.

Now, thank you ever so much for all the advice! This is a great source of information for me and it's wonderful to get such open advice from everyone.

Although I am still VERY very worried about this whole episode, at least I know what direction to go now. I will write a letter to the school explaining my situation and be totally open about it. However, I just checked another thread entitled, "Will they take my acceptance away?" and the poster there did the same thing... and now he is waiting to be reconsidered by the committee. :(

Reading that just made me even more frantically worried than I already am. :(

Please keep the advice coming or post any other stories that are relevant. They are truly appreciated.

My only input on this is like what I said in the other thread. If you LOOK like you've trying to deceive them, they will assume you ARE, and burn you for it. Probably the best bet is to explain the situation, tell them how you have tried to resolve it (i.e., looked into summer classes, etc.), and ask them what they want you to do. They deal with situations like this all the time, so it is not like they will be making arbitrary decisions -- there's probably a set policy.