Tipp

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I plan on taking the MCAT the april after next. Should I get the review materials to get familiar with them as I go through my core classes, or should I wait to get them a few months before the test?

OP
T

Tipp

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student
So quick question if anyone has some advice... Do you recommend getting MCAT review materials to look over as you go through your core classes, like they say is good for studying for step 1, or is it better to just wait til a few months before the test?

May 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So quick question if anyone has some advice... Do you recommend getting MCAT review materials to look over as you go through your core classes, like they say is good for studying for step 1, or is it better to just wait til a few months before the test?
no. mcat books are for concise review. go to bed.

wolverinepwns

Si vis pacem, para bellum
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Asgard
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Learn your stuff in your classes and do well. Then worry about your MCAT and reviewing a few months before you test.

Richardh

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
Status
mcat and step1 are totally different in my opinion. it's much easier to study mcat in one setting (dedicating 3months for studying) and take the exam. while for step1, yeah, it's recommended to study along with the first aid books. good luck on the mcat :)

OP
T

Tipp

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student
thanks everybody. and yea going to beds a good idea lol

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You're going to need them just before you begin to start studying for the mcat. So if you're going to take the exam in April and you plan on studying for 3 months, then you're probably going to want to make sure that you have everything in December just to be safe.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do not buy or be in the same room with an MCAT prep book until you are actually studying to take the test.

Go party and then go to bed.

SteveJMarist

5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree. Wait until the test nears. Publishers update their text books every year, and from what I've seen, the newer versions seem to be successfully better (correct me if I'm wrong, it was just an observation of mine).

I do understand your intentions though. For your purposes, see if your pre-health office has books they can lend you or perhaps if your library has some you can check out.

phltz

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Just learn the material really well. If you're really itching to go the extra mile to completely master the content, my advice is to tutor other students in the various science subjects. That'll do more for you than any amount of looking at MCAT review books. If you wanna work on your scientific reasoning skills (which the MCAT is very heavy on), read and discuss a lot of scientific papers. As far as VR goes, try to do a lot of reading - Harry Potter, the Federalist Papers, Howl, the newspaper, whatever. Just read your ass off.

It sounds like you're a few years out from taking the MCAT. There are things you can do in that time to develop the skills that the exam tests. Looking at a Kaplan MCAT review book is absolutely not one of those things.

ModernAlchemist

Transform and Transcend
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Limbo
Status
Medical Student
Only two things I would recommend besides doing well in your classes is to read 1 MCAT verbal type article everyday. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the official outlines for each section from AAMC to make sure your classes are going over everything. (Example: My physiology class completely skipped over reproduction and development and barely touched on half of the endocrine system.)

Don't get prep books. They're for reviewing what you ALREADY know.