No Pass on AMCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just talking with a person today, and she told me that some grad schools treat No Passes like a F. Also, check out the last post:
post on credit and gpa

This is seriously worrying me because I have a whole ton of No Passes in fun/trivial classes such as dance and fitness.

Can anyone clear this out? Thanks...I need to cram for one last final :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Well...

From the Amcas 2004 Instruction Book, page 34...
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2004instructionbook.pdf

"Note that semester hours for courses with an AMCAS letter grade (e.g., A, A-, B+, etc.) are included in normal GPA
calculations. Supplemental hours, however, are only for courses with an AMCAS grade of
? G (used for Advanced Placement credit),
? L (used for CLEP credit),
? N (used for Pass/Fail - Fail credit), or
? P (used for Pass/Fail - Pass credit)
These are reported to medical schools as a total amount (i.e., 25 hours of Supplemental Credit Hours) and are not
included in normal GPA calculations."

If you look at the third bullet, "N (used for Pass/Fail - Fail credit), or," you can see that it is not included in your GPA calculations. However, having F's on your transcript can be a red flag to the adcoms. Be prepared for questions about these grades during interviews.

~AS1~

Yeah, generally speaking, a "no pass" (like a "fail") isn't too good on the transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Stanford they don't give F's. An NP (no pass) is considered an F and calculated as such into the GPA...

Originally posted by StanfordGirl
At Stanford they don't give F's. An NP (no pass) is considered an F and calculated as such into the GPA...

The GPA that your university gives you and the GPA that the AMCAS gives you are not directly related due to different rules for the calculations.

~AS1~

Originally posted by AlternateSome1
Well...

From the Amcas 2004 Instruction Book, page 34...
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2004instructionbook.pdf

"Note that semester hours for courses with an AMCAS letter grade (e.g., A, A-, B+, etc.) are included in normal GPA
calculations. Supplemental hours, however, are only for courses with an AMCAS grade of
? G (used for Advanced Placement credit),
? L (used for CLEP credit),
? N (used for Pass/Fail - Fail credit), or
? P (used for Pass/Fail - Pass credit)
These are reported to medical schools as a total amount (i.e., 25 hours of Supplemental Credit Hours) and are not
included in normal GPA calculations."

If you look at the third bullet, "N (used for Pass/Fail - Fail credit), or," you can see that it is not included in your GPA calculations. However, having F's on your transcript can be a red flag to the adcoms. Be prepared for questions about these grades during interviews.

~AS1~

*Whew* thanks. I was so afraid that my gpa would fall like a rock. However, I'll be more careful with taking pass/ no pass courses. Thanks again.