Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

No Pass on AMCAS GPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hamhamfan, Mar 26, 2004.

1. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

I was just talking with a person today, and she told me that some grad schools treat No Passes like a F. Also, check out the last post:
    post on credit and gpa

This is seriously worrying me because I have a whole ton of No Passes in fun/trivial classes such as dance and fitness.

Can anyone clear this out? Thanks...I need to cram for one last final :scared:

2. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well...

From the Amcas 2004 Instruction Book, page 34...
    http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2004instructionbook.pdf

"Note that semester hours for courses with an AMCAS letter grade (e.g., A, A-, B+, etc.) are included in normal GPA
    calculations. Supplemental hours, however, are only for courses with an AMCAS grade of
    ? G (used for Advanced Placement credit),
    ? L (used for CLEP credit),
    ? N (used for Pass/Fail - Fail credit), or
    ? P (used for Pass/Fail - Pass credit)
    These are reported to medical schools as a total amount (i.e., 25 hours of Supplemental Credit Hours) and are not
    included in normal GPA calculations."

If you look at the third bullet, "N (used for Pass/Fail - Fail credit), or," you can see that it is not included in your GPA calculations. However, having F's on your transcript can be a red flag to the adcoms. Be prepared for questions about these grades during interviews.

~AS1~

3. Yeah, generally speaking, a "no pass" (like a "fail") isn't too good on the transcript.

4. StanfordGirl

StanfordGirl Member
    7+ Year Member

At Stanford they don't give F's. An NP (no pass) is considered an F and calculated as such into the GPA...

5. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The GPA that your university gives you and the GPA that the AMCAS gives you are not directly related due to different rules for the calculations.

~AS1~

6. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

*Whew* thanks. I was so afraid that my gpa would fall like a rock. However, I'll be more careful with taking pass/ no pass courses. Thanks again.