No Physics Since High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brewers11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to SDN, but I was wondering if any of you out there could lend me some wisdom. I haven't taken physics since high school. I took it at a state university through a program with my high school, so I don't need to take it in college. I was wondering what books to study from for physics in order to re-learn the material as efficiently as possible. Should I just buy a text book or do you think a TPR, BR, or Kaplan book would be better? thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a diagnostic to see where you are. If you realize you're really, really rusty, then consider a more intensive program (textbooks, more study time). If you're scoring high on the physics questions then just go with a review book.

Hey all, I'm new to SDN, but I was wondering if any of you out there could lend me some wisdom. I haven't taken physics since high school. I took it at a state university through a program with my high school, so I don't need to take it in college. I was wondering what books to study from for physics in order to re-learn the material as efficiently as possible. Should I just buy a text book or do you think a TPR, BR, or Kaplan book would be better? thanks for any help!

My college physics really wasn't that good, so doing well on the MCAT is all about review. I have a feeling it's that way for most people, so we're all in the same boat. From what I've read here over time is that BR physics is pretty much the best way to go. If you're not taking an MCAT course, you might want to buy a couple books and see which you like best. SNDed's posts are really helpful if you have some time to thoroughly read through them. LostinStudy also had some great posts about how to study, but his weren't stickied. Both recommend BR for physics, so that convinced me.

I would highly recommend the TPR Physical Science review. It gives long detailed answer explanations. Very good stuff in that book.

Also, I would invest in the Berkeley Review books. The Gen Chem stuff is unbelievably amazing. I have the 2009 physics books, they're ok in terms of explanations. They have some irrelevant facts that you don't need to know. But definitely do the BR physics passages. They're hard, and they will prepare you for the real thing. I wish I had them when I wrote the first time around.

Good luck!