No pics seen on COMLEX II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fooman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few of us did not have "pictures" available to see when the question referred to it. I commented on each one stating that fact and the prometric lady also filed a report. There were at least 14 questions I had that were supposed to have pics, but didn't. I couldn't answer the question if it was asking me to interpret the EKG that I could not see....hahah.

So what happens next? Does the board examiners actually take "comments" into consideration???

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem today, but after 14 questions with no images in 2 sections, I got upset and asked to reschedule my exam. I don't want to take the chance with NBOME and Prometric, and I found it to be a very upsetting experience. I just started to imagine how many more questions I would miss because of it, and it bothered me.

I called NBOME around 11 am EST and they were still working on it, but by then I was home already.

Fooman said:
A few of us did not have "pictures" available to see when the question referred to it. I commented on each one stating that fact and the prometric lady also filed a report. There were at least 14 questions I had that were supposed to have pics, but didn't. I couldn't answer the question if it was asking me to interpret the EKG that I could not see....hahah.

So what happens next? Does the board examiners actually take "comments" into consideration???

If it helps, some of the pictures were so poor in quality it would not have made a difference.

Wook

dr_almondjoy_do said:
I had the same problem today, but after 14 questions with no images in 2 sections, I got upset and asked to reschedule my exam. I don't want to take the chance with NBOME and Prometric, and I found it to be a very upsetting experience. I just started to imagine how many more questions I would miss because of it, and it bothered me.

I called NBOME around 11 am EST and they were still working on it, but by then I was home already.

What do you mean they were working on it? Was there a central server crash? that is I'm assuming that all the questions are obtained thru a centralized server.

In any case, is there a penalty for rescheduling? like extra fees, etc.? I should have considered it in hindsight. I'll probably give them a call tomorrow to see what is going to be done about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard about this situation from several of the students at my hospital. I would encourage everyone who had a problem with this issue to SEND A CERTIFIED LETTER to the NBOME and ProMetric centers. A phone is just not good enough - get something in writing and a receipt so that you can prove the letter was received.

electra said:
I have heard about this situation from several of the students at my hospital. I would encourage everyone who had a problem with this issue to SEND A CERTIFIED LETTER to the NBOME and ProMetric centers. A phone is just not good enough - get something in writing and a receipt so that you can prove the letter was received.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to think of something to write that's polite, but gets the point across.

Has this ever happen before? I know this was the first year for COMLEX to be on the computer, but I'm guessing others have taken the test before me.

I can't even think of what they would even do about it though. At most they will throw the questions out? But what if I got them right?

For everyone who took the exam on that day and had a problem, you can schedule the exam on the NBOME site. Free of charge.... I just did it!

anyone get an email to reschedule for another retake of the exam???
I dont know if i have it to sit for that thing again!

I had the same problem with not being able to see some pics. There were a total of 3 pics that I could not see and one I could answer based on the question stem. At most I missed 3 questions becuase off this scew up. I would rather die than retake that exam.....they can have those 3 q's and my letter in the mail saying "grade and record my exam".

We do not have to retake it. You just have to sign that waiver for them to grade it.

I also took the Sept 7 Comlex II in which the pics did not open and got an email yesterday from NBOME saying tough luck re-take the 9 hrs exam or waiver your grade W/OUT knowing it. NO ONE SHOULD WAIVER THEIR RIGHTS TO KNOW THEIR SCORE AND THEIR SCORE WITHOUT THOSE EXHIBITS!!!!! for some it may have been just 3 pics, but for many it was entire sessions. And no, most questions where vague and left much room for doubt without seeing the pics! Students must stick together and stand up for their rights. It was NOT Prometrics fault and NBOME intructed the proctors to tell us to proceed with exam. They could've stopped the exam and didn't. For those who stuck to it and finished the 9 hrs exam they should not have to deal with such a matter. NBOME should discard all those questions and give credit if one got them right. A high school teacher could handle this in a much more professional and reasonable manner. No one should bow down at this. NBOME is accountable for their exam. Please pass this on to fellow students. Because how fair is it to them that we already saw the test and know what to expect?

dr_almondjoy_do said:
For everyone who took the exam on that day and had a problem, you can schedule the exam on the NBOME site. Free of charge.... I just did it!

Did you really think you would have to pay for this?

I got the email today. I'm debating on whether or not I should retake or not. I had about 14 or so questions that were related to the pics.

Seeing that everyone gets different questions on the test, I'm wondering if they have a record of the questions you took on the first one so that it won't be repeated on the 2nd exam. If so, I'm wondering if the 2nd exam will be harder?

Personally, I'd hate to go through it again, but not knowing how well or poor I did on the 1st time around is making me anxious.

The email mentioned some dates available, but isn't the last date on Nov 7? That would be the optimum time for me to take it since I'm doing an AI during October.

Fooman - many of us feel like you do. We all have AI, residency applications, and interviews coming up. NBOME has no right in making you (us) decide on your grade in the blind. Demand to know your grade first and then tell them you will decide to re-take it or not. One can't waiver what one does not know. This is what I and other fellow students are doing. You are correct in that they know our questions, and thus, can see the ones that had exhibits (and were marked). If students do not complain and take a stand... then we get pushed over by the system once again. The point of being a D.O. is caring about people (caring about your students...) Our organizations should work for us, not against us. This is why I ask to pass this on to your classmates. Put up a fight!

Brenna said:
Demand to know your grade first and then tell them you will decide to re-take it or not.

It's unfortunate that this happend to my fellow classmates. During my test I had three questions dealing with picture. 3/400 questions which translates into very small percentage. If this would have happend to me then I would not have taken the test again. I know I got three hundred other questions right and so I passed ;) .

I don't think you can "demand" to the know the score before taking it. The whole climate of NBOME is that it doesn't allow its student to take the test again if one passes :p . Let's illustrate an example when NBOME reveals a low passing score to you. And you take the exam again :idea: . Then it is unfair to other students who cannot take the test again despite low passing score.

If you lose sleep over few questions (which I understand) then you can take that one day exam again soon...

Good for you! However, the issue isn't if it was 1 or 100 questions (some people had over 4 sessions w/out them and there was 8-10 question in each). It is the principal of the matter. One should not waiver something they lack knowledge of. They have a right to know if they passed or not and how much those questions hindered them. 40 question can break someone. This is my point about sticking together and not individualizing the situation.
It is NBOME's responsibility to handle the matter vs. signing off on tough luck and blaming Prometric. They had the option to abort the exam and instead instructed people to proceed with it. If you feel that not knowing if you passed or failed before signing a waiver is inappropiate, or that preparing for and sitting through another 9hr exam of which you may have already passed is uncalled for, please write, call, and email NBOME. Put up a fight. Not just for yourself but in principal of not being a push over.

This is little lengthy but is what I had emailed back to NBOME (I wonder if this Dr. Meoli guy will actually read this.) Also sent a copy to the president of AACOM (doubt what that can do). You may have noticed on the email NBOME sent us, for those of us who can't/ won't retake the exam, essentially, they are forcing us to sign the waiver by threatening to void the scores otherwise. Don't do it! Who knows if it's just the pictures that they screwed up. I agree, we should demand to know our scores before signing the waiver, blindly. Retesting free of charge may not cost NBOME anything, but think of all the sacrifices we have to make by their screw up. I know because I had to do it once before due to their screw up, again, but rescheduling is a b**** especially when there are no availability essentially. Why can't they just void the questions and readjust the scores for one thing?

Dr. Meoli,

I was originally scheduled to take COMLEX level 2-CE on 8/26 in Davie, FL, my hometown. However, I was notified later by Prometric, cancellation of the exam due to hurricane Katrina. Although, I have not received any official notification to the candidates regarding the cancellation from NBOME, as of yet. As you may know, as a candidate for COMLEX level 2, I am a fourth year medical student and have been scheduled in advanced for elective rotations throughout the country at this time in preparation for the residency selection. September in Washington, DC, and October in Seattle, WA. Also, since I am a Army scholarship recipient, I am obligated to match residency which is earlier in Oct (10/15), meaning that all the documentations including the COMLEX level 2 score to be filed by then. Although, I was offered to reschedule the exam without additional fee, since there were no exam days available due to very limited days authorized by NBOME(Sep 6&7 and Oct 3-7, etc) if they were available at all, I had extreme difficulty rescheduling the exam. I immediatly contacted NBOME via phone and email; I have emailed to the contacts listed on the NBOME websites, however, the only response I received was an automated message stating that the responding party will be unavailable until 9/6, which was not helpful at all. I spoke to, finally, in particular, Ms. Margaret Wong for NBOME to facilitate candidates in such situation as me whose tests were cancelled due to the hurricane to make available an extra day. I hope you understand that the hurricane was an unforseen event, however, NBOME is the facilitator of medical (professional) board/licensure exam and has accepted a (substantial) fee for such service, and did well in advance. Nevertheless, the request was unanswered/denied by NBOME. In any case, no dates were available in any site in FL until 10/3, as of 8/27. And because I was scheduled to begin my rotation in DC for the month of September, I was forced to take the exam at the site closest to the DC area that offered opening any earlier than 10/3, which was 9/7 in Glen Allen (Richmond), VA. This was done with more than a few sacrifices. I did this by personal expenses but also not only with inconvenience of having to travel a long distance where I was not familiar with and even worse was which to have inconvenienced the others, especially the people of new rotation site where I had to excuse myself for absence on the first week. Not to mention, the level of preparedness for the exam that had to be maintained. Nevertheless, I was able to take the exam at the time and the day at the site without problem, so I thought. I did not experience any technical difficulties during the exam. Then, yesterday, I received your message below.

In short, I do not want to repeat the experience of rescheduling and taking the COMLEX level 2 CE again if NBOME can assure me that as long as I did not experience apparent technical difficulties with the exam on Sep 7, that the answers that I have entered would be unaffected and that my test will be scored correctly. NBOME should make the point clearly before making any candidate sign the acceptance and waiver form, as it was unclear in the message below. I expect your prompt response so that I may respond to your concern below in return.

If we we all call and make a stand then perhaps they will at least say if one passed or failed before re-scheduling the rest of our school career and hindering our electives and interview process.
No cost for the test is a given, but who pays for time of travel (gas, hotel, etc...)? As far as I know med students live off loans.

Brenna said:
One should not waiver something they lack knowledge of. If you feel that not knowing if you passed or failed before signing a waiver is inappropiate, or that preparing for and sitting through another 9hr exam of which you may have already passed is uncalled for, please write, call, and email NBOME. Put up a fight. Not just for yourself but in principal of not being a push over.

1. Thousands of medical students waive their right to read recommendation for ERAS...

2. Hundreds of students who are taking USMLE, CPA, COMLEX etc...encounter injustice with computer, prometric people, bladder, HA etc... :sleep: *&^% HAPPENDS IN LIFE. TAKE THE TEST AGAIN, QUIT CRYING OVER SPILLED MILK...

I had no issues with the images that day. Although they were poor quality and size, the only ones I felt that were of any value were a couple of EKGs. Still, the whole thing isn't right and very unprofessional in the handling of the matter. Even the letter we received from the NBOME was poor, the waiver looked like something one would type up in 2nd grade. I am considering having AT Still act as my witness to have my grade processed. But still, I'm not 100% certain that the rest of my exam will be graded correctly. Will they void these questions entirely for me even though I had no image issues?? What to do...you would think they could crunch some numbers and just tell me if I passed. Anyone know a good lawyer?? Hell, it almost seemed as if you needed a law degree to pass the thing anyway with all the ethical questions on there. Someone contact the federal BBB and see what can be done (BBB=better business bureau).

love to all my d.o. homies out there,
-LBS (the lightening bone setter)

Brenna said:
Did you really think you would have to pay for this?

Ok,

No need for all the drama, save it for the retake! hahahaaa....

No I knew I didn't have to pay for it on Sept 7 when I already spoke to the Prometric people. I answered 100 questions and opted to leave. You guys need to stop all the crying and reschedule your exam. I'm sure you've been through A WHOLE LOT WORSE this year alone.

It is a ONE DAY exam.... stop the CRYING!

dr_almondjoy_do said:
Ok,

No need for all the drama, save it for the retake! hahahaaa....

No I knew I didn't have to pay for it on Sept 7 when I already spoke to the Prometric people. I answered 100 questions and opted to leave. You guys need to stop all the crying and reschedule your exam. I'm sure you've been through A WHOLE LOT WORSE this year alone.

It is a ONE DAY exam.... stop the CRYING!

I didn't even take the test on the 7th and everything about this ordeal makes me so angry. "Stop the crying"...are you kidding me? If nothing else, this is a business deal gone wrong. There is nothing wrong with demanding the NBOME to act in a professional manner when we all pay 500 bucks to take this test...not to mention the mental preparation that goes into studying and being prepared to have this test over by a certain day. I can't believe anyone would just go along with the NBOME and retake the test without a fight. Just think, would this happen with the USMLE? I think not.

Especially since you didn't study and have to show up to a test site only to have to go back home, STOP THE CRYING.... You have no IDEA how stressfull it was that day.

Not saying that this was right, but we have gone through a whole lot worse to sit and complain over something that WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER....

I was upset initially, but once I got an explaination I was okay with it. You guys have too much riding on this to waste your time as a 4th year student complaining about an exam, and especially about an event that you have no control over.

And if you notice, I may be the only fool entertaining you all while the rest of us that actually went through it are rescheduling and happy that this didn't turn out worse, so my time on this thread is up.

:cool:
Well, apparently I had the most images that didn't function. On my exam there were a total of 34 images (I know this b/c Thomson asked to keep track of them dirung the exam) of which only 4 opened. I'd like to know if I passed b/c if I did (401 PASS) I would let it ride. If I didn't pass I'd like to be able to retake it free. But the BORG has already set thier parameters for the waiver, YOU WILL NOT HOLD US RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING WE DO AND SIR OR MADAM YOU WILL LIKE IT! The sad thing about this is that I just want the same try at the exam as the people w/o image difficulties which is really out of the question now. Oh well I'm rescheduling but not on any of the added days b/c then they can just fail you and say you did have what it takes anyway reschedule and pay this time. This is essentially the tone I picked up from thier "waiver" email.