No PR(Green Card) / US Citizenship = No License to practice in USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VenkatV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is more specifically for the ones who are on Non-immigrant visas (F, H, J) planning to attend DDS/DMD programs in USA and may not be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green Card) by the time of applying for license to practice in any of the 50 states.

Since a lot of you may not frequent to the Dental forum in SDN, here is a thread of interest - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=703915

Looks like NY is one state you clearly cannot get a license to practice. Which other states grant license only to PRs/Green Card holders and Citizens?

Please feel free to add your thoughts and add any relevant information citing valid sources.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am quite surprised that this topic hasn't generated any interest. How many members here who are borrowing $ 150-200K in dental school expenses are even giving this a thought. what if you can't be licensed due to visa status?

Last edited:
I am quite surprised that this topic hasn't generated any interest. How many members here who are borrowing $ 150-200K in dental school expenses are even giving this a thought. what if you can't be licensed due to visa status?

my point exactly! i also tried raising this Q in another thread.
I guess people are more interested in posting their stupid banana dances/ nbde scores than thinking about putting their financial future at risk.

I wonder how those people have the courage to come to their parents and ask for the money w/o giving them a clear detailed plan for the next 4 years. Maybe the thought of moving to " America" blinded them or maybe spending 150k is not a big issue for them.

anyway if someone here as some info and did some research, there few here who are really interested what happens a day after graduation.
thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Sinatra Frank. I had to edit the title so that people can understand better.

I am surprised to see people can talk all kinds of stuff like (nationality issues, what are my chances etc) rather than a closer look at what will happen if they cannot practice in the first place.

All said and done, graduating with DDS and 200K loan will not get you get into a high paying associateship automatically. Has anyone even thought of work authorization after graduation and 1 year OPT? I am sure this applies to > 60% folks in this sub-forum.

This is something that every FTD should look into before taking up the huge loan. If anyone has any information regarding this please share it here.

Especially FTDs who have graduated with DDS/DMD and are looking for jobs. To make things easier, you can let us know about the immigration status requirements in the state you currently live/practice in.This will help us gather more information in a short time.

Hi, I`m actually worried about the same thing and tried to gather some information..Non immingrants have to find a job whr they can get a H1 visa for which they have to make some cotract with d employer.this will b valid 4 like 6 years after which ur employer can apply fer a green card on ur behalf.this is d procedure m tryni to xplain but m sure all this is not that easy in dental field.help me with some more info if some1 can.please..it`s a big issue.:confused:

Well the whole H1B and work authorization issue can open a whole new can of worms; I am just saying some states will not just give you a dental license in the first place though you attend school here an get an American DDS/DMD if you are not a PR or a citizen.

Wasn't that the whole reason people pursue American DDS/DMD as their foreign degree is like a paper weight here?

Just imagine a 150-200K loan on your head and no license to practice and work authorization to top it off.

my point exactly! i also tried raising this Q in another thread.
I guess people are more interested in posting their stupid banana dances/ nbde scores than thinking about putting their financial future at risk.

I wonder how those people have the courage to come to their parents and ask for the money w/o giving them a clear detailed plan for the next 4 years. Maybe the thought of moving to " America" blinded them or maybe spending 150k is not a big issue for them.

anyway if someone here as some info and did some research, there few here who are really interested what happens a day after graduation.
thank you

i think most of ppl have already put so much time money and energy in nbde and applicns, so they just don't have any option to go back
most of us is trapped in this whole thing
nobody want to think wtz future after school....

barring few states, licensure is not a problem.
however to start working you will have sometime to work on opt after completing dds, in the meantime one can apply for H1b visa.
H1b is a vicious cycle and if you are only dds[no MS] to get an H1b your application has to pass the lottery system[around 2lac people apply n currently 50,000 thousand visa are available each year]if you r lucky enough to be in the 50,000 thousand then yr visa has to get approved...normally it does get approved if the employer is genuine.Once H1b is there then yr employer has to file for yr green card[only if he does agree to that,normally they do after they make you work for couple of yrs] and for simple graduates[without post graduation] procuring a green card normally takes 7yrs plus for sure and during that time u have to stick to the same employer.
If you join armed dental core like US army then some people say green card process takes far less time.
so guys it isn't easy/difficult...

Last edited:
I am a PR, but I have some friends that are in the same process of you guys...I recommended them to do master's degree instead of IDP...with master's degree you can work in 4 or 5 states and if something goes wrong, for sure you can get a job in a dental school in your country by having a master's degree right??? I am sorry I just don't know how to help you guys with this issue...Good luck for you all:luck:

After seeing this thread I called up Texas State Board ( as I live in Texas ), they said that you require a SSN number to apply for licensce in Tx.I understand that we need to get an employer, who can sponser you for H1 visa. My question is, how hard is this getting an employer who can do this for you? Anyone who has already gone through all this stuff or anyone with any info abt this plz do share. This is a scary situation....

Last edited:
Hey friends, my doubt is without a dental license how can we get employed ? to get H1 we need an employer to sponser us..but if we don't have a license isn't it illegel to work in a clinic?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
After seeing this thread I called up Texas State Board ( as I live in Texas ), they said that you require a SSN number to apply for licensce in Tx.I understand that we need to get an employer, who can sponser you for H1 visa. My question is, how hard is this getting an employer who can do this for you? Anyone who has already gone through all this stuff or anyone with any info abt this plz do share. This is a scary situation....

You will not have SSn # if you are on a dependent Visa. But if you change your status to F1, you will have SSN #, apply for the license and other exams and work on CPT/OPT. in the mean time if you can get an Employer who can sponsor your H1 then you can continue to work.

Well the whole H1B and work authorization issue can open a whole new can of worms; I am just saying some states will not just give you a dental license in the first place though you attend school here an get an American DDS/DMD if you are not a PR or a citizen.

Wasn't that the whole reason people pursue American DDS/DMD as their foreign degree is like a paper weight here?

Just imagine a 150-200K loan on your head and no license to practice and work authorization to top it off.

You need to have authorization to work in the US. Going to school here doesn't automatically give you this. You may pursue DDS/DMD and go back to your country to practice as far as the states are concerned. So I don't really understand, why are you upset about that?
There were people in our class that were on F-1 visa and they got jobs that sponsored their PR cards. Just keep in mind that those jobs will not be in Manhatan or Beverly Hills:)

You need to have authorization to work in the US. Going to school here doesn't automatically give you this. You may pursue DDS/DMD and go back to your country to practice as far as the states are concerned. So I don't really understand, why are you upset about that?
There were people in our class that were on F-1 visa and they got jobs that sponsored their PR cards. Just keep in mind that those jobs will not be in Manhatan or Beverly Hills:)
Well I guess the issue here is more about the states in which you may not be able to get a license to practice without PR/Citizenship rather than finding jobs that may sponsor PR/H1B Visa.
If you can only practice in certain states then every FTD without PR will have to start there and this in turn may lead to saturation.Where is that going to leave you with a 150-200K debt hanging over your head??
And a majority of FTDs pursue DDS here to be able to practice dentistry in US...So if you have trouble getting a license,it kind of beats the point of doing DDS.

i think frank sinatra and venkatv make an excellent point cauz ppl r so busy in just trying to get in the school that they are not looking at the bigger picture....i think that 150-200k $ is a very big financial commitment at least for middle class blokes like me....i think that all "international" students have to try to get a PR by the time they come out of school....personally i think the number of dentists who can file for ur h1 visa are quite limited....and u r still trying ur luck with the lottery system....god forbid u dont get the visa then u gotta return home with a 200k debt on ur head......so either get married to a citizen and become a PR or find someone to employ you....as fas as licensing goes i too would like to find out if there are any other states that require you to be a PR/citizen for licensure....i hope NY is the only one....for all those dying to get accepted and are not PRs please think well as the road is long and tough

Well I guess the issue here is more about the states in which you may not be able to get a license to practice without PR/Citizenship rather than finding jobs that may sponsor PR/H1B Visa.
If you can only practice in certain states then every FTD without PR will have to start there and this in turn may lead to saturation.Where is that going to leave you with a 150-200K debt hanging over your head??
And a majority of FTDs pursue DDS here to be able to practice dentistry in US...So if you have trouble getting a license,it kind of beats the point of doing DDS.

Well, I think anybody who thinks about imigrating to US (or any other country) and going to school for an expensive degree should first find out about employment opportunities in the state they want to live in. There are 50 states in the US, so even if you have to choose a state that is not your first choice, but you could get sponsored for PR there, why not to do this? Then you can easily move to the state of your choice. As far as saturation goes, usually places that sponsor for PR are in the place where there is lack of dentist. Choose the state where there is a shortage of dentists, they usually have not so strict requirements.

i think frank sinatra and venkatv make an excellent point cauz ppl r so busy in just trying to get in the school that they are not looking at the bigger picture....i think that 150-200k $ is a very big financial commitment at least for middle class blokes like me....i think that all "international" students have to try to get a PR by the time they come out of school....personally i think the number of dentists who can file for ur h1 visa are quite limited....and u r still trying ur luck with the lottery system....god forbid u dont get the visa then u gotta return home with a 200k debt on ur head......so either get married to a citizen and become a PR or find someone to employ you....as fas as licensing goes i too would like to find out if there are any other states that require you to be a PR/citizen for licensure....i hope NY is the only one....for all those dying to get accepted and are not PRs please think well as the road is long and tough

Every state board has their web-site, you can check their requirements on line, or call the board.

So what is your status now? Are you on H-2 visa? If you get to school, I think you would have to change it to F-1 anyways, then you will get SSN and can apply for licence, and get a job that would sponsor your PR. If you are on dependent visa, you should also find out what will happen when your husband's (wife's) visa will expire -- will he/she have to leave the country, will he/she be able to get PR?

So what is your status now? Are you on H-2 visa? If you get to school, I think you would have to change it to F-1 anyways, then you will get SSN and can apply for licence, and get a job that would sponsor your PR. If you are on dependent visa, you should also find out what will happen when your husband's (wife's) visa will expire -- will he/she have to leave the country, will he/she be able to get PR?

appreciate your response and I understand what you are trying to say abt the process, but why do everyone here keep saying that you get a SSN when you get a F1 visa, bcoz as far as I know you can get SSN only if you have a job and with F1 you can work only in the campus you are studying (legally) or any internship programs in your school, you cannot work at any other place.with that into consideration how many students can get a job in the campus and so how many of these students will have SSN with F1 visa?

appreciate your response and I understand what you are trying to say abt the process, but why do everyone here keep saying that you get a SSN when you get a F1 visa, bcoz as far as I know you can get SSN only if you have a job and with F1 you can work only in the campus you are studying (legally) or any internship programs in your school, you cannot work at any other place.with that into consideration how many students can get a job in the campus and so how many of these students will have SSN with F1 visa?

F-1 visa makes you eligible to work legally, whitch makes you eligible to get SSN. You need SSN to get a job, not the job to get SSN:)) The other way around may be true for H-1, I don't know. Just to let you know, there will be no time for you to work in dental school, trust me.

F-1 visa makes you eligible to work legally, whitch makes you eligible to get SSN. You need SSN to get a job, not the job to get SSN:)) The other way around may be true for H-1, I don't know. Just to let you know, there will be no time for you to work in dental school, trust me.

To apply for SSN as F-1, an on-campus job offer is now required. This wasn't the case few years ago though.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10181.html

Work eligibility
If you are an F-1 student and eligible to work on campus, you must provide a letter from your designated school official that:

• Identifies you;
  • Confirms your current school status; and
  • Identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing.
We also need to see evidence of that employment, such as a recent pay slip or a letter from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the employment letter. This letter must describe:

• Your job;
  • Your employment start date;
  • The number of hours you are, or will be, working; and
  • Your supervisor’s name and telephone number.

As explained earlier, after completing dds, take licensure exam[where u want to practice] n therafter one can work on opt for sometime.Till this point there is no problem whatsoever.After that procuring h1b is little tedious with just dds.previous post explains the process.

Well, IMHO you need to deal with immigration issues first, and only then pursue your degree, not the other way arround. Immigration laws are getting tougher these days, so deal with that before you pay $200k-250k for school.

i didn't know this before. so, not even being a h1b visa holder cant work in any state?
EDIT : can somebody do summary list of the states that require citizenship/green card status only?

Last edited:
hi friends

I am on dependant visa(h4)I have called to washington state dental board to enquire about the requirements for dentist license,they said they need social security no.Is it possible to get social security no on student visa????.becos in dental school it is difficult to find job.please some one tell me how can i get social security no on student visa.

it` s not possible to have a student visa without security no. once u r on student visa status,u`ll def. get a ssn

Thank you for ur prompt reply but have u read this on the same page posted by venkat
To apply for SSN as F-1, an on-campus job offer is now required. This wasn't the case few years ago though.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10181.html

Quote:
Work eligibility
If you are an F-1 student and eligible to work on campus, you must provide a letter from your designated school official that:
  • Identifies you;
  • Confirms your current school status; and
  • Identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing.
We also need to see evidence of that employment, such as a recent pay slip or a letter from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the employment letter. This letter must describe:
  • Your job;
  • Your employment start date;
  • The number of hours you are, or will be, working; and
  • Your supervisor’s name and telephone number.
i think there are so many changes.please tell me how can i get ssn in this situation.

You will get SSN once you get your OPT eventually anyway. Its only a matter of time that you may lose due to processing delays.

OPT = 12 months.
SSN processing = 1- 2 months.
Licensure Processing = 1 - 2 months.

So in essence, a F-1 student potentially can lose 2-3 months of OPT work-ability due to improper planning when in school. Please plan accordingly.

There are many companies that are more than willing to sponsor your H1b(Work Permit). Well it does come with one more layer of paycheck cut...(inevitable intially I guess if you are on F1 visa/OPT).It does pay to have a GC in these times espically...
Disgressing slightly from this issue, I was concerned if I went to school On H4 without changing to F1(quite possible as many cannot afford to show the 100kneeded for finanical certification in their account for I -20).would that affect or consume the time given on H type of visa... I mean the maximum number of years alloted on H 1b is 6 year.. you have to apply for you GC before that or in least have your Step 1 of GC Processing cleared.But for my relief I came to know that I can continue of H4 throught out my study years and later after graduation I will still have 6 years given on H1B.Hope this helps someone...

Hi All,

I came to US on student visa (F -1). To get a SSN, you need to have an on campus job. If you do not have an on campus job, graduate from the school, you could still start working with a dentist but he cannot officially pay you unless you have an ssn. therefore, it would take you 2 to 3 months (at the max.) to get your ssn and then the official paper work for monthly pay checks and H1 B visa could begin.

Regarding licensure to practise in the individual states, I do not have much knowledge about it. If somebody has researched on which states allow and do not allow, please post them here.

Hi All,

I came to US on student visa (F -1). To get a SSN, you need to have an on campus job. If you do not have an on campus job, graduate from the school, you could still start working with a dentist but he cannot officially pay you unless you have an ssn. therefore, it would take you 2 to 3 months (at the max.) to get your ssn and then the official paper work for monthly pay checks and H1 B visa could begin.

Regarding licensure to practise in the individual states, I do not have much knowledge about it. If somebody has researched on which states allow and do not allow, please post them here.

hey,

I found this PDF file on ADA website. After reading it i have some questions and if someone can help me ill be more than greatful.

Requires two years of pre-doctoral education that results in a DDS or DMD degree
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]: AL, CA, FL, CT, FL, GA, IL, IA, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, PR, SD, VT (at least one year), VA, WA. Some of these states may accept a diploma, degree or certificate upon completion of the program-FL, IA, MI, NY, VA. ..[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
.Requires two years of post-doctoral education:

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]KY, LA, MD-pediatric dentistry only, MS, TN, TX ..[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
.Accepts 12-month advanced education program (AEGD, GPR) in general dentistry:

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]VA, WI ..[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
.Accepts two years of pre-or post-doctoral education:

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]IL, MI, OR, VA, WA, WI ..[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
.Requires graduation from an accredited program with a DDS or DMD degree (four years): [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV and WY .

do u think that when it says "Requires two years of post-doctoral education" or "Accepts two years of pre-or post-doctoral educatio"
it applies to FTD who did only post grad in Perio/pros/endo ?

i will love to hear your thoughts.

link for the pdf: http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf

hey,

I found this PDF file on ADA website. After reading it i have some questions and if someone can help me ill be more than greatful.

Requires two years of pre-doctoral education that results in a DDS or DMD degree
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]: AL, CA, FL, CT, FL, GA, IL, IA, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, PR, SD, VT (at least one year), VA, WA. Some of these states may accept a diploma, degree or certificate upon completion of the program-FL, IA, MI, NY, VA. ..[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]KY, LA, MD-pediatric dentistry only, MS, TN, TX ..[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]IL, MI, OR, VA, WA, WI ..[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
.Requires graduation from an accredited program with a DDS or DMD degree (four years): [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV and WY .

do u think that when it says "Requires two years of post-doctoral education" or "Accepts two years of pre-or post-doctoral educatio"

link for the pdf: http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf

I'm not sure about your question, you may need to contact specific state board to clearify it. But I want to make one remark on your post -- this is misleading

"Requires graduation from an accredited program with a DDS or DMD degree (four years): AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV and WY"

It's not four years -- programs for foreign trained dentists will give you DDS or DMD after two years and that is sufficient to get licence in any state, you don't need four years of school.

Sinatra you are digressing-this is information for licensure for ftd's (statewise)....not information for qualifying for work visas. What is it exactly that you are asking to be clarified?

To all others, to the best of my knowledge it should not be difficult to find a job after you get your degree, but it is always wiser to very careful and foresighted. ...cause you defintely dont want to be weighed down with such a big loan.

hey,

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]: AL, CA, FL, CT, FL, GA, IL, IA, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, PR, SD, VT (at least one year), VA, WA. Some of these states may accept a diploma, degree or certificate upon completion of the program-FL, IA, MI, NY, VA. ..​

Requires two years of post-doctoral education:

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]KY, LA, MD-pediatric dentistry only, MS, TN, TX ..​

Accepts 12-month advanced education program (AEGD, GPR) in general dentistry:

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]VA, WI ..​

Accepts two years of pre-or post-doctoral education:

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]IL, MI, OR, VA, WA, WI ..
Requires graduation from an accredited program with a DDS or DMD degree (four years): [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV and WY ..​

it applies to FTD who did only post grad in Perio/pros/endo ?​

i will love to hear your thoughts.​

There is no difference between 4 years regular DDS program and 2 years advance standing program. At the end of the day State licensing requires you to have DDS also you have to take regional boards to practice in that stae.

hey,

I guess everyone is aware of the issue but more worried about getting into school first.
One tension at a time.

Just to point out something - I've only heard of people working in the US after DDS, never heard a case where a person had to come back because his work permit wasn't granted.

has this actually happened to someone?

Think u'r right... first getting into school ;)

This is something that every FTD should look into before taking up the huge loan. If anyone has any information regarding this please share it here.

Especially FTDs who have graduated with DDS/DMD and are looking for jobs. To make things easier, you can let us know about the immigration status requirements in the state you currently live/practice in.This will help us gather more information in a short time.

hi,am an FTD and we have green card but i didnt start exams yet,after doing them do u recommend i take this huge loan,i mean can u guarantee that u'll have ajob after u graduate even if u dont have an experience in usa?

I guess everyone is aware of the issue but more worried about getting into school first.
One tension at a time.

Just to point out something - I've only heard of people working in the US after DDS, never heard a case where a person had to come back because his work permit wasn't granted.

has this actually happened to someone?

Well put BombayBDS. Atleast someone is looking at the positive side of things. As far as practicing in NY is concerned, NY state grants non-citizens (FTD) who meet all the educational requirements of licensure, a limited license which is valid for 3 years and can be renewed for another 6 years. This gives 6 years for a person to process his/her GC and get a complete license. So, NY not allowing non-citizens to practice, is not completely true.
Link: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentlimlic.htm
However, during your limited license, you will have to agree to practice in a Health Profession Shortage Area (HPSA). The good news is that such HPSA's are not necessarily rural areas and one can earn a decent income practicing in the same till the time GC is processed.

Well put BombayBDS. Atleast someone is looking at the positive side of things. As far as practicing in NY is concerned, NY state grants non-citizens (FTD) who meet all the educational requirements of licensure, a limited license which is valid for 3 years and can be renewed for another 6 years. This gives 6 years for a person to process his/her GC and get a complete license. So, NY not allowing non-citizens to practice, is not completely true.
Link: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentlimlic.htm
However, during your limited license, you will have to agree to practice in a Health Profession Shortage Area (HPSA). The good news is that such HPSA's are not necessarily rural areas and one can earn a decent income practicing in the same till the time GC is processed.

BombayBDS asks the right question. Has anyone ever heard of a FTD who didn't get a job after graduating? I havn't! I've only ever heard success stories! Remember, there are gigantic dental corporations out there like Sears, Aspen, Allcare (RIP :), Affordable, etc, etc who would like nothing more than to exploit our visa issues after our graduation day!!! But eventually, all of us will find our own light at the end of the tunnel...

Last time I checked, which was a while ago,dentist, who creates 10 jobs at his/hers practice can get PR

Last time I checked, which was a while ago,dentist, who creates 10 jobs at his/hers practice can get PR

You have to be an employer to create jobs,for that you need to have your own practice.You need to be a green card holder or citizen to open your own practice.If anyone has more info regarding this,feel free to post.

Agree with Bombay BDS and others that follow.
Also be aware of negative threads and propogandas on such forums.
Though I'm over with my prerequisites, I know such threads can wreck havoc on ppl who r in th midst of preparing for their exams.
what ocs1986 says is also very correct.. The FTD's who are fresh DDS and do not hav citizenship/Green card, are incorporated easily by large Dental corporations.
The only rider is "Be ready to practice dentistry in any part of U.S.". N well, if u have something in mind like Manhattan and Beverly Hills.... it is a long road. But still not impossible.

I saw this thread and read each of its post. Thank you all for posting such useful information.

I have a few doubts of my own. Kindly help!

I am a Foreign Trained Dentist from India. I am yet to take the NBDEs. Is it possible to get into a residency program in ENDO, PEDO or PERIO in any state, without going thru advanced standing and DDS/DMD? And if that is possible, then am I going to have trouble getting a license to practice later on??

Kindly answer my questions. It would mean a lot to me. Thanks:xf:

I saw this thread and read each of its post. Thank you all for posting such useful information.

I have a few doubts of my own. Kindly help!

I am a Foreign Trained Dentist from India. I am yet to take the NBDEs. Is it possible to get into a residency program in ENDO, PEDO or PERIO in any state, without going thru advanced standing and DDS/DMD? And if that is possible, then am I going to have trouble getting a license to practice later on??

Kindly answer my questions. It would mean a lot to me. Thanks:xf:

Foreign Trained Dentist = FTD
Advanced Standing = 2 -3 yr program for a FTD to get DDS/DMD degree
Advanced Program = 2 yr PostGraduate Program = Endo, Pedo, Perio etc.

Dental License in Most states (90%) = requries DDS/DMD degree
For example - Delaware (DE)
Dental License in some states (10%) = are okay with 2 year advanced prorgam education as well - For example Virginia (VA)

It is possible for a FTD to direclty join a post graduate program and then he/she can apply for dental license in 10% of these states. However, if you migrate to any of the remaining 90% states you may not be able to practice there. Some states amongst the 10% also have certain branch restrictions or service restrictions like for certain year you have to do public work etc. Refer to the ADA link below. It explains license requirements of each state clearly.
http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf

International seats for Postgraduate programs is not available in al Universities. There are limited seats in each department and are harder to get into. But depending on your experience,education, and background, you certainly can crack them.

You can also contact state board where you are planning to practice in and confirm that there won't be any problems. Use this link to find your state board:
http://www.dentalboards.org/

Or refer to this Post - Xander25 might be able to assist you more
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=835793

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you dingash!:thumbup: That was a very helpful reply. So according to what you posted, A degree from an accredited institute doesn't have to be a DDS/DMD.

As you have suggested, I shall post the same query to Xander25.

Thanks,
Regards,
LRK257

Thank you dingash!:thumbup: That was a very helpful reply. So according to what you posted, A degree from an accredited institute doesn't have to be a DDS/DMD.

As you have suggested, I shall post the same query to Xander25.

Thanks,
Regards,
LRK257

Yes, for very few states only though.

Guys, i do have a new question for you, im a foreign trained dentist and im here on a pending asylum status, i do have SSN, work authorization, and all IDs.

the question is will i be able to get into a DDS/DMD program with this status?!!

Guys, i do have a new question for you, im a foreign trained dentist and im here on a pending asylum status, i do have SSN, work authorization, and all IDs.

the question is will i be able to get into a DDS/DMD program with this status?!!

I suggest you to call few univs that have FTD program and check with them individually. Most likely they will connect you to the International students office...which has knowledge about residency status and their acceptance by the program. They can guide you better.

I feel you can. I don't see a problem atleast at univs that offer admission to students on Visa. You may be eligible for other univs as well that are limited to PR and Citizens.