No Pre-December Interviews, is this a bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC121912

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title sums it up, I have gotten no pre-December interviews. December 1st is closing in...What do I do, What should I feel, What do I need?

Members don't see this ad.

When did you submit? Stats? How many schools? There's always a chance though regardless

depends on the schools you applied to, your stats, and quality of your application.

What you should do is prepare for the interviews. You should feel excited since you have 2 interviews while many people have 0. You just need to stay sane for as long as possible for the next few months :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit? Stats? How many schools? There's always a chance though regardless
Hmm Most of the schools I submitted too were pretty early. I have checked in the SchoolSpecific forum and see others already getting interviews, but I have not.
Stats: ogpa 3.5 sgpa 3.5 DAT 21 across all...I am thinking maybe my personal statement was just not good enough :(
Thanks for replying!

depends on the schools you applied to, your stats, and quality of your application.

What you should do is prepare for the interviews. You should feel excited since you have 2 interviews while many people have 0. You just need to stay sane for as long as possible for the next few months :)

Yeah I am very excited for the 2 interviews I am blessed to have! But just wondering if this is bad sign, knowing that many people are already getting interviews. I've only gotten the "we have received and are reviewing your app" email, and then no other response...I guess I continue the waiting game

How do you think your LOR's were? What were your EC's, volunteer and shadow hours?

Hmm Most of the schools I submitted too were pretty early. I have checked in the SchoolSpecific forum and see others already getting interviews, but I have not.
Stats: ogpa 3.5 sgpa 3.5 DAT 21 across all...I am thinking maybe my personal statement was just not good enough :(
Thanks for replying!
I think your 2 interviews trumps my one interview out of 15 schools (applied July). I have a 3.5, 25TS/24AA. Perhaps, this makes you feel better.

@OP, anything else (i.e. lack of hours perhaps)? My personal statement was pretty bland but I don't think it affected my application too negatively.

I think your 2 interviews trumps my one interview out of 15 schools (applied July). I have a 3.5, 25TS/24AA. Perhaps, this makes you feel better.
Is there anything about your application that might stick out in a negative way? I cannot imagine why with those stats you'd only have one interview so far.

Reactions: 1 user
@OP, anything else (i.e. lack of hours perhaps)? My personal statement was pretty bland but I don't think it affected my application too negatively.

Is there anything about your application that might stick out in a negative way? I cannot imagine why with those stats you'd only have one interview so far.
My advisors say the worst thing about my app is the 3.4 sGPA. Other than that, I'm financially disadvantaged? This is a total mystery I can't solve.

My advisors say the worst thing about my app is the 3.4 sGPA. Other than that, I'm financially disadvantaged? This is a total mystery I can't solve.

nah 3.4 sGPA is good enough :)

Where all did you apply? How are your shadow/volunteer hours?

Where all did you apply? How are your shadow/volunteer hours?
UCLA, UCSF, USC, UoP, Western
VCU, UMD, Rutgers, Tufts, Temple
NYU, Columbia, Penn, Pitt, Harvard

Shadow (150 hours), Volunteer (1000 hours), Research (4500 hours)

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you think your LOR's were? What were your EC's, volunteer and shadow hours?
Thanks for replying ajj780!
Hmm I think my LORs were great. I knew both of my professors very well, had attended and did great in their classes. For my dentist, I have shadowed him for 2 years and got to know him and learn the joys and hardships of being a dentist. My ECs I would say average? I was officer of school dental club as well as members of other pre health clubs, volunteered at health fairs, a voluntary teacher at my parish, volunteer at kaiser, also had a variety work experience, internship, shadowed for 2 years, . The main thing I am lacking is research experience in my school, but right now I am interning in a R&D department, was hoping this can help! Other than that I think its my GPA/DAT scores that aren't up to par(This is what my advisor told me!) :(

You will be fine. Rooting for you
Thanks studentdental8! I pray for the best! I hope you have a wonderful day! Thank you for replying!

Thanks for replying MRZ8! And Holy Wackamole!! How do you only have 1? Your scores triumph mines! I also did apply to some of your schools (UCLA, UCSF, USC, UoP, Western, Temple, NYU, and Pitt). But I've only heard from Western. The other schools...been very quiet. :( I pray and hope for the best for you! You really deserve some more interviews though!

Thanks hoppingpre for replying! I'm not sure..if anything else is affecting it. Unless my ECs are sub par..which now thinking about it..they probably are the reason. :( Darn I guess I should have put more time in my ECs...

Oooooooooopp just got denied at UCSF....no more high hopes now. Only praying for the best for everyone too!

Don't worry too much about UCSF. Almost everyone I know got rejected from UCSF. This is one school I don't know what kind of candidate that they are looking for. I am sure it is not intensive community service or research because I had a friend who is a 3rd year UCSF dental student and I am pretty sure he doesn't have these.

Thanks for replying MRZ8! And Holy Wackamole!! How do you only have 1? Your scores triumph mines! I also did apply to some of your schools (UCLA, UCSF, USC, UoP, Western, Temple, NYU, and Pitt). But I've only heard from Western. The other schools...been very quiet. :( I pray and hope for the best for you! You really deserve some more interviews though!

You already got rejected by UCSF?? They notified you by email?

Don't worry too much about UCSF. Almost everyone I know got rejected from UCSF. This is one school I don't know what kind of candidate that they are looking for. I am sure it is not intensive community service or research because I had a friend who is a 3rd year UCSF dental student and I am pretty sure he doesn't have these.

Thanks for your kind words and support. Yeah I am feeling down but I can't do anything about it. Gotta get hit with the hard truth and move on.

You already got rejected by UCSF?? They notified you by email?
Yup just this morning at 10. Sucks, I was jsut talking to a coworker about feeling the stress of not getting interviews too. Guess things happen for a reason, still hoping for the best for you!

UCLA, UCSF, USC, UoP, Western
VCU, UMD, Rutgers, Tufts, Temple
NYU, Columbia, Penn, Pitt, Harvard

Shadow (150 hours), Volunteer (1000 hours), Research (4500 hours)

Are you by any chance Chinese? Not a racist thing, but stats do show Chinese applicants have the lowest acceptance rates even with higher scores.

Are you by any chance Chinese? Not a racist thing, but stats do show Chinese applicants have the lowest acceptance rates even with higher scores.

Could you cite your source please? And no, it's not racist. Yes, I am American-Chinese.

Could you cite your source please? And no, it's not racist. Yes, I am American-Chinese.

to maintain a diverse demographics, schools have come up with a system called "quota system" that they decide the # of students from each demographic allowed in the class (like 30% white 30% asian, etc) and each big demographic has a smaller sub demographic (like asia has india, chinese, etc). so you compete with the other people in your demographic quota but not necessarily compete with everyone on the similar scale.

Asian and white applicants are known to have higher stats than other demographics thus, at those schools, may be the other students in the same demographic as yours have better stats.

this is where the infamous affirmative action occurs (lower stats applicants get in because its less competitive competing with other applications from the same demographic) but schools still have to take them because they must take some % of their class from this demographic

ANYWAYS, the difference between different demographics are just about 1-2 point DAT and 0.2-0.3 GPA Doc toothache posted a file i just slightly recall

ANYWAYS, you just seem to apply to a lot of hyper competitive programs where ur 3.5 GPA may not cut it but ur DAT is awesome.

Last edited:
Oh dang..according to this, It seems i may be in a pretty bad state. I can only hope for the best though. But it is good to know of this, ty darknightzzz!!

Oh dang..according to this, It seems i may be in a pretty bad state. I can only hope for the best though. But it is good to know of this, ty darknightzzz!!

you got 2 interviews, at least one of it will be your acceptance.

Wow, okay I understand this mystery better now. Every dental school I applied to must be using this "quota system" to "diversify" their class, hence the lack of responses from dental schools.

Table 2-26 DAT Results by Ethnicity
AA | AMI 16.57, Asian 18.30, Black 15.40, Hispanic 16.20, White 17.67, Total, 17.59, Hi-Lo 2.90
Source: ADA Dental Admission Testing Program Report 3 2011, User’s Manual 2009 (doc toothache Guide Section 3N, p. 48)

Wow, okay I understand this mystery better now. Every dental school I applied to must be using this "quota system" to "diversify" their class, hence the lack of responses from dental schools.

AA | AMI 16.57, Asian 18.30, Black 15.40, Hispanic 16.20, White 17.67, Total, 17.59, Hi-Lo 2.90
Source: ADA Dental Admission Testing Program Report 3 2011, User’s Manual 2009 (doc toothache Guide Section 3N, p. 48)

the indians sub demographic in the asian is pushing that number higher. without this sub demographic, asian demographic's stat will be similar to white's (if i recall correctly)

u will still get interviews but wont probably be their first pick. I have 3.9oGPA/3.96sGPA with 21AA,22TS,23GPA with only 5 interviews and 3 rejections from 17 schools (rejections are ASDOH, MWU-IL, and UCSF) I dont really understand why MWU-IL rejected me. I still havent heard back from programs that fit my stats like case western, tufts, western university, and usc just to name a few. I was first batch when applied to case western and westernU but 13th batch to tufts and usc. stats arent everything like everyone said but im positive my PS and LORs and ECs are above average thats y i received the interviews.

just something to know to keep urself calm.

the indians sub demographic in the asian is pushing that number higher. without this sub demographic, asian demographic's stat will be similar to white's (if i recall correctly)

u will still get interviews but wont probably be their first pick. I have 3.9oGPA/3.96sGPA with 21AA,22TS,23GPA with only 5 interviews and 3 rejections from 17 schools (rejections are ASDOH, MWU-IL, and UCSF) I dont really understand why MWU-IL rejected me. I still havent heard back from programs that fit my stats like case western, tufts, western university, and usc just to name a few. I was first batch when applied to case western and westernU but 13th batch to tufts and usc. stats arent everything like everyone said but im positive my PS and LORs and ECs are above average thats y i received the interviews.

just something to know to keep urself calm.
Are you Chinese too? Hahah

It is so unfair.. I am not chinese American.. I guess I am chinese chinese..
Went to my interview and found out that everybody speak better English than me, not surprisingly. Haha

It is harder for us Asian , especially for Chinese. It's odd that I saw more Korean in NYU than Chinese. Not sure if it is the same for other schools. Maybe Chinese American prefer to speak English compared to Koreans?

I checked the ADEA guidebook..For most of schools, the number of matriculant from each race is roughly proportional to the the number of applicants. For California schools, New York Private schools, some Texas schools, some Illinois schools and Michigan schools, the proportion of Asian matriculant over applicant even outweighs whites.

But for some other schools such as new York public school, marquatte, Conn, New England, Pittsburgh, etc, the percentages of Asian matriculant are unproportionally low compared to number of applicants. Howard and Maharry are known for their preference to URM. Florida schools have slight higher percentage of Hispanics.

I guess it also depends on the area at which the school located ( some states residents are mostly white/hispanic) and certain factors that schools emphasize such as military experience for Pittsburgh.( less Asian have military experiences)

Besides percentages, Asian matriculants and applicants have highest stats on average. So I think we have a relatively fair chance as long as we apply broadly enough. But we do need to work harder and get better grade since we need to compete with our own people.

P.S: For reference, I have 3.79/3.82 GPA and 23aa/25ts DAT and I only got two interview out of 25 schools I applied. And both of the two schools have high percentage of Asians. I didn't hear anything from schools, as they said on this forum, having preference to white applicants while others with similar stats got interviews. I did apply very late. Sigh..

P.P.S: the two Asian girls I met at interview have good and average grades respectively and they only got one interview so far.
A white guy and another white girl that I met at the interview who have average grades have received 5 and 6 interviews already.

I don't mean to be cynical or complaint about being treated unfairly. I am just trying to share my own understanding. And I am not a native speaker so welcome to correct my grammar mistakes.;) ;);)

Last edited:
Haha it's ok. That is not racist at all.. I love vietnamines phos and spring rolls.:heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah:

the applicants u mentioned may apply to competitive schools due to their confidence in their stats and receive less whereass the white applicants apply to more private oos and instate and receive more interviews. this system definitely plays a role but doesnt not dish u out completely from certain schools

i am vietnamese vietnamese and i dont speak viet to vietnamese vietnamese applicants because it sounds unprofessional at dental school interviews since others dont understand. so thats y i bet u dont hear chinese speaking at ur interview. u can always guess their demographic by the applicants' last names and accents

LOL at ur comment.

Haha it's ok. That is not racist at all.. I love vietnamines phos and spring rolls.
the applicants u mentioned may apply to competitive schools due to their confidence in their stats and receive less whereass the white applicants apply to more private oos and instate and receive more interviews. this system definitely plays a role but doesnt not dish u out completely from certain schools

i am vietnamese vietnamese and i dont speak viet to vietnamese vietnamese applicants because it sounds unprofessional at dental school interviews since others dont understand. so thats y i bet u dont hear chinese speaking at ur interview. u can always guess their demographic by the applicants' last names and accents

LOL at ur comment.

Yeah I agree with you.. The system may play a role but we still have a chance.

Three other Asians at my interview are all Koreans. I said that mainly because of what I heard from students in school and cafeteria.

LOL This is great guys! Very informative and good to know! I'm Vietnamese also from CA. I hope you guys both the best in your applications to your dream school! Cheers! Hopefully this first denial from UCSF and roll off my mind..

Went to my interview and found out that everybody speak better English than me, not surprisingly. Haha

It is harder for us Asian , especially for Chinese. It's odd that I saw more Korean in NYU than Chinese. Not sure if it is the same for other schools. Maybe Chinese American prefer to speak English compared to Koreans?

I checked the ADEA guidebook..For most of schools, the number of matriculant from each race is roughly proportional to the the number of applicants. For California schools, New York Private schools, some Texas schools, some Illinois schools and Michigan schools, the proportion of Asian matriculant over applicant even outweighs whites.

But for some other schools such as new York public school, marquatte, Conn, New England, Pittsburgh, etc, the percentages of Asian matriculant are unproportionally low compared to number of applicants. Howard and Maharry are known for their preference to URM. Florida schools have slight higher percentage of Hispanics.

I guess it also depends on the area at which the school located ( some states residents are mostly white/hispanic) and certain factors that schools emphasize such as military experience for Pittsburgh.( less Asian have military experiences)

Besides percentages, Asian matriculants and applicants have highest stats on average. So I think we have a relatively fair chance as long as we apply broadly enough. But we do need to work harder and get better grade since we need to compete with our own people.

P.S: For reference, I have 3.79/3.82 GPA and 23aa/25ts DAT and I only got two interview out of 25 schools I applied. And both of the two schools have high percentage of Asians. (NYU >50% UNLV ~40%) I didn't hear anything from schools, as they said on this forum, having preference to white applicants while others with similar stats got interviews. I did apply very late. Sigh..

P.P.S: the two Asian girls I met at interview have good and average grades respectively and they only got one interview so far.
A white guy and another white girl that I met at the interview who have average grades have received 5 and 6 interviews already.

I don't mean to be cynical or complaint about being treated unfairly. I am just trying to share my own understanding. And I am not a native speaker so welcome to correct my grammar mistakes.;) ;);)

You need to look at International Stats, not so much Asian stats. International students just do not have as high of acceptance rates into US schools, nor should they, sorry.

I just want to throw out there that your GPA and DAT are NOT necessarily going to set you apart from others. Your overall application is taken into consideration and, depending on the school, you may just not match their mission statement or class profile. I'm sure demographics has a non-insignificant role in admissions but I personally believe that demographics affect whom the ADCOM decides to admit rather than whom they decide to interview. Many dental schools interview hundreds of applicants, and if you don't get an interview, it may just be due to you not fitting that school's program.

You need to look at International Stats, not so much Asian stats. International students just do not have as high of acceptance rates into US schools, nor should they, sorry.

If legal status is what you are referring, I am not international.

if legal status is what you are referring to, I am also not international. I am an immigrant that becomes a naturalized citizen before I applied to dental schools. LOL

Last edited:
Hang in there! A lot is yet to come!

Lol this has nothing to do with it. I know plenty of Chinese people with lower stats who have gotten many, many interviews. It does not boil down to race. If I were MRZ8, I would contact the schools to see what the status of my application is or what is holding me back from getting that interview.

I believe the asian thing would primarily occur in privates. The UC's or public schools don't really care as much for demographics. For instance, UCSF is like 50% Asian haha.. but then again.. as I did more research, USC is like 40% Asian... so maybe I just dunno LOL

Last edited:
I believe the asian thing would primarily occur in privates. The UC's or public schools don't really care as much for demographics. For instance, UCSF is like 50% Asian haha.. but then again.. as I did more research, USC is like 40% Asian... so maybe I just dunno LOL
I think it also has a lot to do with location. Not too many Asians in states like Alabama, but there are way more on both the west and east coast states. Since people tend to pick their state schools if they have the chance, bam, that's why the California, NY, etc schools are often 40 or 50% Asian lol

If legal status is what you are referring, I am not international.

You said you were Chinese, Chinese..if you are a legal US Citizen, you are now Chinese American.

You said you were Chinese, Chinese..if you are a legal US Citizen, you are now Chinese American.
I see. I mean I didn't grow up here and came here at 20s. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

P.S: For reference, I have 3.79/3.82 GPA and 23aa/25ts DAT and I only got two interview out of 25 schools I applied. And both of the two schools have high percentage of Asians. I didn't hear anything from schools, as they said on this forum, having preference to white applicants while others with similar stats got interviews. I did apply very late. Sigh..

If you don't mind me ask, what schools did you apply to? And what schools you got interviews from? When did you submit your applications? Only 2/15 with your stats? Those schools you applied to must be really really really competitive!