no pre-med committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeCanOnlyTry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the pre-med committee at my school is literally non-existent.

Anyone else in the same boat? Does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can tell, those things suck and obtaining the letter from them is often annoying.

As long as you get the required letters (2 science, 1 non-science, + optional additional) then you're set!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

No committee makes things much easier... for real. :D I didn't have one at my undergrad, but I currently work at a school that has one. They're notoriously closed-minded and are quite stingy in their recommendations.

Honestly, I don't think I would be going to medical school if I had been required to go through a committee -- in all likelihood, they would have told me I had no chance and not given me a good overall recommendation.

The committee at my school kept it's members secret and asked us to compile what was literally the same info that we give on our apps so they could make their recommendation. Then they emailed us like a month later with how we ranked on a scale of 1-5. I ended up with a 4 and their reason (in the form of a brief note) was that I didn't have a letter from one of the emergency docs I shadowed and it looked "suspicious". I wish I could have just used individual letters and be done. Not having a committee is probably a good thing.

*sigh of relief* Okay! This is good to know lol

We don't have a committee, either. However, we do have pre-health professions advising.

I have a few of those at my school, but they are useless to say the least. People run for officer positions just for the title, and once they get the position, they don't do anything.