No radiology LORs, beginning to worry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IJL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know it's late in the game, and I don't think I will be able to get any rads LORs.

Will this automatically exclude me from some programs? I will have 3 very strong clinical letters. The lack of a radiology letter though is really starting to worry me, because there's really nothing I could do about it.

I've just really started researching programs and saw that MUSC requests 3 letters, 1 being rads. So will I not get an invite because of this?

Maybe I'm just being neurotic, but this process is a little stressful.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought usually one of your three letters is usually written by your radiology program director, who sort of writes a summary letter analogous to what your high school guidance wrote when you applied to college?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know it's late in the game, and I don't think I will be able to get any rads LORs.

Will this automatically exclude me from some programs? I will have 3 very strong clinical letters. The lack of a radiology letter though is really starting to worry me, because there's really nothing I could do about it.

I've just really started researching programs and saw that MUSC requests 3 letters, 1 being rads. So will I not get an invite because of this?

Maybe I'm just being neurotic, but this process is a little stressful.

You can not do a whole lot about it. A strong Medicine LOR is much better than a good or mediocre radiology LOR. So, you have to submit what you have.

It will not hurt you perse. Most programs do not care who writes LORs as long as it comes from clinical services you rotated through. However, indirectly it implies that you are not well connected to radiology faculty at you home program. So, you have less chance at your home program compared to another applicant who is well connected. Outside your home program, you should be fine.

You can not do a whole lot about it. A strong Medicine LOR is much better than a good or mediocre radiology LOR. So, you have to submit what you have.

It will not hurt you perse. Most programs do not care who writes LORs as long as it comes from clinical services you rotated through. However, indirectly it implies that you are not well connected to radiology faculty at you home program. So, you have less chance at your home program compared to another applicant who is well connected. Outside your home program, you should be fine.

Thanks for the response. And you are correct, I am definitely not well connected with my home program.

I did a year in pathology between my MS2 and MS3 and ended up working very closely with one particular attending on a research project. What three letters should I include to most programs? I was thinking path, clinical, rads. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I didn't want to make a new one on LORs.

Last edited: