No "ranked to match" means screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warden

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you do not recieve an email from a program you want to go to-that you expressed to them they were on the top of your list, are you screwed? I got a reply after sending the first mail a couple weeks ago. But now have heard nothing else and seemingly lots of people are getting the "you are ranked to match" email and I am getting no such emails:( Are these common or not common?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. I think it's program dependent. I went to several programs where they explicitly stated they will not contact anyone regarding the match or status, that they like to "trust the match."

Furthermore, being ranked to match means that if they have 8 slots, you're in the top 8. But that's only their rankings. If even one of those people doesn't rank that place #1, it should go on to someone else, assuming that person does get their #1 pick elsewhere. Damn algorithms.

I know how you feel, though. I'm getting no emails from some and vague emails from others (not saying you're ranked to match but just "we thought you were a strong candidate, let me tell you about our program...). I'm trying not to read into anything too much, and just cross my fingers on the whole thing.

Warden, was the reply you got to your email positive? If so, you might want to consider taking comfort in that. I was a little confused by your post. Were you expecting the program to write you another email and tell you that you were ranked to match?

As nitemaji wrote, many programs don't say anything explicit as "you are ranked to match." Also, my dean has told me that some programs have a policy of saying little or nothing to applicants -- i.e. having faith in the match.

I understand your anxiety, though. It's a very stressful process, and the different manners in which programs handle contacting applicants only makes it more so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please be aware, not sure of how it changes when one is told they will be ranked to match in writing vs when being told verbally, but...

I know of a specific example where someone who was face to face and felt "coveted" by a prestigious residency program director was told that he would be "ranked to match". He happened to know someone inside the process who knew the rank list. He was informed that he was not actually "ranked in the top x/x spots" and what probably occurred is that the program director could get away with a statement like that because historically they always went down their list a few spots and therefore that would likely result in the person matching there.

It turned out, the person ranked another place number one, so he never found out if he would have matched there anyway (the sentiment seemed to be that he "probably" would have, but you never know until you actually go through it).

Maybe when they actually send an email they have to make sure they are legally airtight and this above story doesn't apply though. I do recall quite a bit of phone calls and email bantor going around with people, sometimes vague and sometimes direct statements, but its just so hard to know what it all means.

My advice, trust the match, inform your top choice of your decision and then just wait it out. You will match at the place you are "meant" to be. You just have to make the most out of wherever you go.

Hope I didn't raise anybody's anxiety level around this time of year, but I just wanted to give some anecdotes that you shouldn't assume anything, good or bad until it all plays out.

best,
worriedwell

Please be aware, not sure of how it changes when one is told they will be ranked to match in writing vs when being told verbally, but...

I know of a specific example where someone who was face to face and felt "coveted" by a prestigious residency program director was told that he would be "ranked to match". He happened to know someone inside the process who knew the rank list. He was informed that he was not actually "ranked in the top x/x spots" and what probably occurred is that the program director could get away with a statement like that because historically they always went down their list a few spots and therefore that would likely result in the person matching there.

It turned out, the person ranked another place number one, so he never found out if he would have matched there anyway (the sentiment seemed to be that he "probably" would have, but you never know until you actually go through it).

Maybe when they actually send an email they have to make sure they are legally airtight and this above story doesn't apply though. I do recall quite a bit of phone calls and email bantor going around with people, sometimes vague and sometimes direct statements, but its just so hard to know what it all means.

My advice, trust the match, inform your top choice of your decision and then just wait it out. You will match at the place you are "meant" to be. You just have to make the most out of wherever you go.

Hope I didn't raise anybody's anxiety level around this time of year, but I just wanted to give some anecdotes that you shouldn't assume anything, good or bad until it all plays out.

best,
worriedwell

I don't think it has any legal implications if a program tells you you are ranked to match -- whether they tell you via phone, email, whatever. Just like there is no penalty for applicants who choose to tell many programs that they are ranking them highly (or #1), programs can tell people that they are ranked to match. Programs want applicants to rank them highly -- and they vary in how strictly they interpret the rules and how aggressive they are in communicating with applicants. But I think it is more ethical/philosophical than legal in basis.

So if you do not recieve an email from a program you want to go to-that you expressed to them they were on the top of your list, are you screwed? I got a reply after sending the first mail a couple weeks ago. But now have heard nothing else and seemingly lots of people are getting the "you are ranked to match" email and I am getting no such emails:( Are these common or not common?

Relax! You don't have to be 'ranked to match' in order to match in your top three.

According to the AAMC, in 2004
"As in previous years, more than 80 percent of all matched applicants obtained one of their top three residency program choices. Matched U.S. medical school seniors enjoyed a very high success rate, as more than 85 percent of them were paired with one of their top three program choices. Similarly, more than 83 percent of all other groups of matched applicants were paired with one of their top three choices."

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporte...4/matchday.htm

And that includes all specialties, not just psychiatry (which is a relatively easy match).

Put another way, imagine you have 10 programs, each of which has ten spots, and you also have 100 applicants, each of whom interview at all ten programs.

Every program has interviewed 10 applicants per spot. Sounds competitive, right? - but 100% of applicants will be matched, and even if they all submit the exact same ROL, 30% of them will get one of their top three. This is the worst-case scenario, in which everyone wants to go to the same program so you really only have a 10% chance of matching there if you interview.

Presumably they won't all submit the same ROL though; so suppose of the three most popular programs, each is ranked #1 by 30% of the applicants. Then 30% of the total (ten students from each of the groups of 30) will get their first choice. And even if all the programs wanted the same ten people, two-thirds of those 30% will be applicants who were not 'ranked to match' by the programs.

Overall, the more 'equal' the programs are in their appeal to applicants, the more likely you are to get your first choice.

i am an IMG and have interviewed at some very competive programs. 3 competive programs told me i am ranked in the bottom 3rd and have a low chance at matching (Wash U, UC davis and university of colorodo.) As I have been on 44 interviews my top 25% of my rank list is quite competive. Thus for most people there top 3 is = in competiveness to my top 10 since i went to more interviews. also i noticed the 3 programs i mentioned did rank me and davis may have been ranked me above some us grads which i feel is promising when looking at those programs that i have interviewed at that only has IMGs. i just hope i rank somewhere in my top 15. i am beginning to get worried. i just hope i get a mid tier program in a top tier location. i am not complaining as i am honored to have interviewed at some of these top tiered places. but after having been to these places my expectations are higher. hopefully someone will put things in perspective for me.

When you have received "you are ranked very highly" type e-mails, have you replied to them? I have not, but now am thinking that maybe it would have been a good idea. Oh well, at this point I'm in the just wait and see what matchday brings mindset.

still not to late to reply. some progs have not sent them in yet.

First of all, sga430 hey! My friend met you at pratt the other day! She said you're awesome and down-to-earth (but she is still a lurker who is too scared to sign up herself). So HEY from both of us, i guess...:)

Just wanted to say that I feel as though nobody should worry about whether or not programs are calling or emailing...some programs are doing that, and it feels great to get that call saying "we're ranking you to match, we love you, you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc..." :love:
But then you start to worry about all the other places on your list and "why haven't they called me...and...and...and..." It honestly reminds me of the whole dating game! LOL
I think that such calls or lack of calls just distorts your perceptions (and that is what it is ultimately designed to do). Nothing you are hearing is binding anyway. I am sure that they do not only call the people at the first bracket on their list...if anything, I would think they call the middle brackets to increase the chance of being ranked first by them, so that they will fill by reasonably decent people in the event they don't get those top-notch candidates. I am just saying, that if a program wants you, they will rank you. period. emails, and calls, and candy and flowers are irrelevant!!! So rank what you liked, they will do the same, and have faith in the match! We cross the scrambling bridge if and when we come to it!
And btw, if a program told you that you are in the third tier...it may just mean that they were more honest than other places...a good question would be how often do you fill from your first tier? I have a friend who ended up matching at a place who told him he was in the third tier. His ego was bruised but he still ranked it first, and he still got there. And he was well received when he got there, and he's happy to be there!

Just wanted to point out that I never got ranked to match emails from my top 3, but still matched at #2. Did get an encouraging "We thought you will be a good psychiatrist" email though. Just letting next years folk know (which could use reiteration from others on the forum who matched to a top 3 without such an email.)

Just wanted to point out that I never got ranked to match emails from my top 3, but still matched at #2. Did get an encouraging "We thought you will be a good psychiatrist" email though. Just letting next years folk know (which could use reiteration from others on the forum who matched to a top 3 without such an email.)

I too was told I pretty much had the spot at my #1 but ranked at my #3. My #3 also gave me a rank to match call. I pretty much knew I wouldn't match at #2, but just had to rank it because the location was so sweet.