No reply to thank you email??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman's Underwear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Neurotic 4th year medical student here.

I thought it was normal to not to get any replies for the post-interview thank you emails.
I have been sending personal emails to PDs, interviewers and PCs just to thank them for the invitation and coordination. I did not mention my interest on the email, just reiterated the parts of the interview that I really enjoyed.

About 4 days ago, I received multiple replies to the thank you emails from a program that I recently interviewed. I am started to wonder whether this is the norm, and whether I screwed up during my previous interviews....

Any thoughts? Do I need anti-psychotics to get rid of intrusive thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

I thought it was normal to not to get any replies for the post-interview thank you emails.
I have been sending personal emails to PDs, interviewers and PCs just to thank them for the invitation and coordination. I did not mention my interest on the email, just reiterated the parts of the interview that I really enjoyed.

About 4 days ago, I received multiple replies to the thank you emails from a program that I recently interviewed. I am started to wonder whether this is the norm, and whether I screwed up during my previous interviews....

If you really want to match somewhere it would be ok to mention how interested you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it. How does getting replies to your emails lead you to thinking you messed up?

I also did not get a reply to my thank you email but I matched to my#1. Later, I heard that my PD called some applicants via phone during the match season, probably they were ranked higher than me. Some programs sent me emails even before my thank you email..

Reactions: 2 users
It means nothing. Some programs talk and some don't. Just don't believe what they say. The whole process is like puppy love. Everybody loves everybody until they don't and then they love the one they are with. Just rank your list and accept where you are drafted.

Reactions: 7 users
You should not be reading anything into whether a program replies to your thank you or sends you any post-interview emails. Just like as a PD I do not worry about whether an applicant sends me a thank you letter or not. You, of course, should NOT be ranking a program based on what you presume their interest in you is. You should only be ranking programs based on how well the program meets (or does not meet) your needs.

As a second year resident, I am interviewing a few applicants every week. Everyone I have interviewed has sent me thank you emails and I have not replied to a single one. I did have a warm and fuzzy feeling toward the applicant when I read each email. For what it's worth, I also haven't responded to my parents' emails since residency started.

So if I decide not to send any emails does that put me at a disadvantage? You all seem to get so many of these emails, it seems like it just fills up inboxes.

So if I decide not to send any emails does that put me at a disadvantage? You all seem to get so many of these emails, it seems like it just fills up inboxes.
No disadvantage or advantage. There's a certain "niceness" about it, so I generally briefly acknowledge the thank you, but I don't think worse of those who don't send one.

SGA's can worsen obsessional thinking, try a serotonergic antidepressant. Oh, I tend to delete post interview correspondence unanswered, unless of course I'm really into you..... :love:

I matched at my top program and did not send a thank you email. I also rarely sent thank you emails during the interview season to individual interviewers, but did sometimes email PDs. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't because after I found my #1 (last interview of the season 1 week before rank list due), I felt vaguely guilty about the very strong interest I had written about to my former #1. Now that I am using dating apps a lot of those feelings are coming up again... except I have less time to feel obsessively guilty about correspondence or lack therof.

Reactions: 1 users