No research experience. Should I delay my graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epipenguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently a senior in 4 year state college in the east coast, and was wondering what to do with my remaining college year. If this is wrong forum, I will change it!

I am majoring in BS degree that fulfill MD/DO requirements. I did poorly in my freshman year, and currently have GPA and sGPA of 3.00< x < 3.50 (1 F and few Cs). I am planning for SMP or grad certification to fix the grade and I am going to take MCAT in early Spring 2017.

My big question is whether I should delay my graduation or not. If I delay it, I have chance to get a double major (currently 1 major and 1 minor), get internship/research. And if I don't, I get to continue work as scribe (which I love), more experiences and time for prepping the application. My school, especially my major, offer limited opportunities for the research and I doubt if I can get a research assistant position if I graduate. On the other hand, double majoring will only change the GPA by 0.1..

I have plenty, I mean PLENTY of work and volunteer experiences, including 1,500 hrs as scribe, 1,500 hrs as receptionist/medical assistant, 30 hours of shadowing, 200 hours as volunteer coordinator at free clinic and etc. However, I have zero experience in research or school activity. I am very much interested in primary care, less inclined to the research environment, but I am still worried about not having any experience to write on cv. I do have to do a library-based research for my major but that's about it.

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate the inputs and advice from others.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I had the impression that research is not necessary for a successful applicant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I had the impression that research is not necessary for a successful applicant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I agree that research is not the absolute minimum requirement for the application, but I was not sure whether it will be necessary to be a successful applicant. Thus, asking around if anyone had any input or similar experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms don't care about double majors. Delay your graduation ONLY if you really want that double major.

Hello!
I am currently a senior in 4 year state college in the east coast, and was wondering what to do with my remaining college year. If this is wrong forum, I will change it!

I am majoring in BS degree that fulfill MD/DO requirements. I did poorly in my freshman year, and currently have GPA and sGPA of 3.00< x < 3.50 (1 F and few Cs). I am planning for SMP or grad certification to fix the grade and I am going to take MCAT in early Spring 2017.

My big question is whether I should delay my graduation or not. If I delay it, I have chance to get a double major (currently 1 major and 1 minor), get internship/research. And if I don't, I get to continue work as scribe (which I love), more experiences and time for prepping the application. My school, especially my major, offer limited opportunities for the research and I doubt if I can get a research assistant position if I graduate. On the other hand, double majoring will only change the GPA by 0.1..

I have plenty, I mean PLENTY of work and volunteer experiences, including 1,500 hrs as scribe, 1,500 hrs as receptionist/medical assistant, 30 hours of shadowing, 200 hours as volunteer coordinator at free clinic and etc. However, I have zero experience in research or school activity. I am very much interested in primary care, less inclined to the research environment, but I am still worried about not having any experience to write on cv. I do have to do a library-based research for my major but that's about it.

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate the inputs and advice from others.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
I'd probably delay to get my gpa up because one year tuition is at a state school is prob cheaper than doing an smp and you can get the research to kill 2 birds with one stone

Don't delay it if you don't have to. The time and money spent for an extra year is not worth it. Take it from a working graduate student.

Graduate and work on SMP. GPA is too low for MD/DO programs.

Graduate and scribe while finding research volunteer opportunities on campus. This option will not address your GPA.

Graduate and retake bad courses at local CC while volunteering with research.