No research experience. Should I delay my graduation?

epipenguin

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello!
I am currently a senior in 4 year state college in the east coast, and was wondering what to do with my remaining college year. If this is wrong forum, I will change it!

I am majoring in BS degree that fulfill MD/DO requirements. I did poorly in my freshman year, and currently have GPA and sGPA of 3.00< x < 3.50 (1 F and few Cs). I am planning for SMP or grad certification to fix the grade and I am going to take MCAT in early Spring 2017.

My big question is whether I should delay my graduation or not. If I delay it, I have chance to get a double major (currently 1 major and 1 minor), get internship/research. And if I don't, I get to continue work as scribe (which I love), more experiences and time for prepping the application. My school, especially my major, offer limited opportunities for the research and I doubt if I can get a research assistant position if I graduate. On the other hand, double majoring will only change the GPA by 0.1..

I have plenty, I mean PLENTY of work and volunteer experiences, including 1,500 hrs as scribe, 1,500 hrs as receptionist/medical assistant, 30 hours of shadowing, 200 hours as volunteer coordinator at free clinic and etc. However, I have zero experience in research or school activity. I am very much interested in primary care, less inclined to the research environment, but I am still worried about not having any experience to write on cv. I do have to do a library-based research for my major but that's about it.

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate the inputs and advice from others.

Thank you!

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I had the impression that research is not necessary for a successful applicant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

OP
epipenguin

epipenguin

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I had the impression that research is not necessary for a successful applicant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
I agree that research is not the absolute minimum requirement for the application, but I was not sure whether it will be necessary to be a successful applicant. Thus, asking around if anyone had any input or similar experiences.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Adcoms don't care about double majors. Delay your graduation ONLY if you really want that double major.

Hello!
I am currently a senior in 4 year state college in the east coast, and was wondering what to do with my remaining college year. If this is wrong forum, I will change it!

I am majoring in BS degree that fulfill MD/DO requirements. I did poorly in my freshman year, and currently have GPA and sGPA of 3.00< x < 3.50 (1 F and few Cs). I am planning for SMP or grad certification to fix the grade and I am going to take MCAT in early Spring 2017.

My big question is whether I should delay my graduation or not. If I delay it, I have chance to get a double major (currently 1 major and 1 minor), get internship/research. And if I don't, I get to continue work as scribe (which I love), more experiences and time for prepping the application. My school, especially my major, offer limited opportunities for the research and I doubt if I can get a research assistant position if I graduate. On the other hand, double majoring will only change the GPA by 0.1..

I have plenty, I mean PLENTY of work and volunteer experiences, including 1,500 hrs as scribe, 1,500 hrs as receptionist/medical assistant, 30 hours of shadowing, 200 hours as volunteer coordinator at free clinic and etc. However, I have zero experience in research or school activity. I am very much interested in primary care, less inclined to the research environment, but I am still worried about not having any experience to write on cv. I do have to do a library-based research for my major but that's about it.

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate the inputs and advice from others.

Thank you!

benjamin94559

5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd probably delay to get my gpa up because one year tuition is at a state school is prob cheaper than doing an smp and you can get the research to kill 2 birds with one stone

Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
Don't delay it if you don't have to. The time and money spent for an extra year is not worth it. Take it from a working graduate student.

Graduate and work on SMP. GPA is too low for MD/DO programs.

Graduate and scribe while finding research volunteer opportunities on campus. This option will not address your GPA.

Graduate and retake bad courses at local CC while volunteering with research.