No research rec letter for a competitive, service focused app?

scpm

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
**please to do not copy this text in replies! **

Hi everyone,

I am applying next year and will have a very community service/public health focused application (lots of clinical exp, outreach, health education, a service fellowship similar to TFA/Americorps/Peace Corps) I have a 3.8+ GPA and if my MCAT comes out strong I want to apply to T10-T20 schools.

I have 1 year of basic science research experience from early in undergrad when I was exploring my interests, but I realized it was not for me and that I wanted to go deeper into my public health/clinical work.

My relationship with my supervisor was confusing in that I could never tell if he was happy with my work or if I was doing a good job. I definitely messed up procedures quite a few times and looking back I was pretty clueless about how academic research worked overall.

At the end, he said that he would write me a strong letter if I ever needed it and I had planned on asking for it right away but then never followed up and at the time I wasn’t sure if I trusted that it would be a good letter. I think not asking was immature/short sighted and that I was being too judgmental about the whole situation myself.

- Should I reach back out and ask for one even if it’s been a few years now?
If it matters - the P.I is a professor at one of the T10 schools I am dreaming of and my supervisor is a researcher there.
- Would lack of a lab research letter be a red flag for T10 schools if this isn’t the focus of my app and I have no intention of pursuing basic research again in the future?

Thank you so much!

**please to do not copy this text in replies! **

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I think if the PI said he would write you a strong letter you should take him at his word. Most of the time people aren't out to get you.

I dont think it will be a red flag but I dont think it will help to not have the letter. Harvard for example wants letters from all research supervisors period.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads