rec letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglova

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
So I'm applying this cycle and I'm got a LOR from the following:
-Math/ science: Physics prof + math prof + bio prof
-Humanities: Writing course prof
-Other: Volunteer coordinator

However, even though I did research throughout ugrad and during my gap year, went to a well known research university, published a few times, and did several poster competitions with awards, I can't get a letter from any of the PIs or other researchers I worked under for special circumstance I won't explain here for anonymity.

I was wondering if this would be a red flag especially given that my other LORs are likely mediocre or generic at best. Thanks for any help.
Not having the PI letter will not keep you out of getting into A medical school, but it is almost guaranteed to keep you out of getting into a research oriented school .

Not having the PI letter will not keep you out of getting into A medical school, but it is almost guaranteed to keep you out of getting into a research oriented school .

Thanks for the response. Yeah it's definitely not an ideal situation. I know this is groveling, but I was really hoping to at least try to apply to research oriented schools, even though as most I probably won't get in. My excuse is that I was diagnosed and treated for cancer as an ugrad, and although I loved my ugrad research unfortunately I had to leave due to being physically unable to continue, and didn't do a good job communicating this to my PI and instead abruptly left as I had to prioritize my health. My current lab sees us as technical support only with no opportunities for career development and doesn't respect me in an intellectual capacity, and is objectively a toxic environment. I'm a high stat applicant with 3.81/527 and double engineering majors (and a slightly low gpa due to a bad semester explained by the cancer) from a HYPSM school hoping to at least try for a research oriented school.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 527 mcat? Jesus. Your stats are stellar. I don’t think you have anything to lose by applying to a few research schools. Unless you’re applying for MD/PhD, I don’t think a lack of this letter would hurt you. You can always explain your lack of letters during interviews (if you are even asked)

Reactions: 1 user
3.81/527 and double engineering majors
Disregard my initial feedback. You will be able to get an interview unless a PI letter is one of their strict requirements. And at the interview stage, you can explain it away if asked.

Lacking the letter will be a hindrance at schools that explicitly require it, but at other research oriented schools who do not have an explicit requirement then you are A-OK

Reactions: 1 users
Disregard my initial feedback. You will be able to get an interview unless a PI letter is one of their strict requirements. And at the interview stage, you can explain it away if asked.

Lacking the letter will be a hindrance at schools that explicitly require it, but at other research oriented schools who do not have an explicit requirement then you are A-OK

If I'm not applying MD/PhD are there research oriented schools which still require a research rec from every PI?

Hi guys,
So I'm applying this cycle and I'm got a LOR from the following:
-Math/ science: Physics prof + math prof + bio prof
-Humanities: Writing course prof
-Other: Volunteer coordinator

However, even though I did research throughout ugrad and during my gap year, went to a well known research university, published a few times, and did several poster competitions with awards, I can't get a letter from any of the PIs or other researchers I worked under for special circumstance I won't explain here for anonymity.

I was wondering if this would be a red flag especially given that my other LORs are likely mediocre or generic at best. Thanks for any help.
You really don't need a pi letter, unless you are applying to MD PHD programs

Reactions: 1 users
If I'm not applying MD/PhD are there research oriented schools which still require a research rec from every PI?
You know, I don’t explicitly know that. Most of them strongly recommend it and I believe one or two may require it if you have a research experience, however I cannot say for sure. Do your due diligence with each school website to find out.

Get a LOR instead from the director of undergraduate research programs at your university.
My PI has atrocious English and I have to read our research papers before the PI submits to publications to catch the grammar, spelling and syntax errors. PI is a great scientist none of the lab team scientists are from this country, English is marginal when spoken and none can communicate in English worth a squat. I was promised a LOR by my PI but Im thinking of dropping their letter for this very reason

Thanks for the advice, that's definitely a better excuse than mine. Would getting a LOR from the head of the engineering department at my school who does lots of research be helpful? Not sure who the director of ugrad research programs is at my school which means probably can't get a LOR.

Would getting a LOR from the head of the engineering department at my school who does lots of research be helpful?

Why not? It couldn’t hurt. Especially if you think he would write you a good letter.

Reactions: 1 user