No Research this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heisman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN Geniuses and Wise Upperclassmen, I am a rising M2 needing a break! I have done above average on every school exam and shelf. But this is my first and only summer break in medical school! Unfortunately I am interested at the moment in competitive specialties like ENT, Ortho, Derm, etc... Will it look bad if this summer I spent time with family exclusively instead of curing cancer or doing some amazing research project? Would this decision affect me in the long run negatively? I have very minimal research experience, but I am interested in getting involved after break! Please advise!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDN Geniuses and Wise Upperclassmen, I am a rising M2 needing a break! I have done above average on every school exam and shelf. But this is my first and only summer break in medical school! Unfortunately I am interested at the moment in competitive specialties like ENT, Ortho, Derm, etc... Will it look bad if this summer I spent time with family exclusively instead of curing cancer or doing some amazing research project? Would this decision affect me in the long run negatively? I have very minimal research experience, but I am interested in getting involved after break! Please advise!

Yes. It's a simple as that. Those specialties don't have a lot in common other than competitiveness and salary, so maybe identify why you want them. Either way, to match into those you'll have to be an exceptional candidate as far as grades and test scores go, plus solid research experiences and letters of rec.

On a more positive note, don't worry about the needing a break thing. Research is super chill at most places. As long as you do you work that's all that matters. Want to come in at 9 or 10 instead of 8? want to leave at 3? who cares just get your work done. also, as a no cost student you can decide how much you want to do, they're getting you for free and will be happy with anything (as long as you don't slow a project down because you're dicking around). also, without tests to worry about you have real nights and weekends to do whatever you want and relax. and again, research is not a stressful environment. if it is, you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the general idea is that it won't ever be easier to fit research in than the first summer. And most other people looking at those specialties will do research this summer and when they get back like you want to. I would look at it as an opportunity to get some work done without having to juggle all your other commitments with school. You could also take time off before and after it and not work the entire summer.

I'm not saying you couldn't or wouldn't end up matching those specialties without it, but there are only a certain number of spots so you want to at least be keeping yourself competitive. Also, lots of people do chart review projects or data mining that they can do from home. If your family is in a different area and you wanted to be with them.

Clerkships year doesn't afford much time for you to ground yourself with research hence why that summer period between M2 and M3 is a good time to be productive.

At the very least, you can take your break and start asking around to assist on potential projects. Take caution though with saying you can't start it until after your break.

On a more positive note, don't worry about the needing a break thing. Research is super chill at most places. As long as you do you work that's all that matters. Want to come in at 9 or 10 instead of 8? want to leave at 3? who cares just get your work done. also, as a no cost student you can decide how much you want to do, they're getting you for free and will be happy with anything (as long as you don't slow a project down because you're dicking around). also, without tests to worry about you have real nights and weekends to do whatever you want and relax. and again, research is not a stressful environment. if it is, you're doing it wrong.
Agreed. I would just look at it as the one chance you have to get some good research done with no other commitments pulling on you. Then just take nights/weekends completely off and it'll feel like a great break from school!

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user