No response from LOR author?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I emailed the MD I shadowed for 4.5 months last Monday asking if he was still willing to write me a LOR for next cycle. It's now been a week, and I haven't heard so much as a peep, which is weird because he usually responds to emails quite promptly..

When I ended my shadowing experience he seemed really positive about the matter, and even offered to include the clinic's letterhead. I sent him a sincere (maybe a tad bit over the top) thank you card a bit late (3 weeks after the fact), but other than that I haven't spoken with him since early August. If he is giving me the silent treatment, I haven't the faintest idea why...

I'm sorta freaking out, since this is essentially my "clinical experience" rec, and the cornerstone of my LOR set. I mean, if I include this shadowing experience on my app and don't have a letter from him, it's going to be pretty obvious he thought I wasn't worth recommending...

I've already sent him a gentle reminder today asking if he got the email, but how do I tell if he's giving me the silent treatment intentionally? I could ask one of his MS3's that I know, but I don't want it to seem like I'm bypassing him/being passive about the issue. I could drop by his clinic but I think that might be too pushy/inconsiderate since he's pretty slammed during the day...

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
maybe he is away at a conference or on vacation or something?

Wow. NM I guess; I just got a call from him no more than 30 seconds after I created this post...

....creepy.