No Responses Yet...I don't Know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhadda2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I don't know if anyone can relate to me, but I applied to about 12 schools in July, and I have not heard back from 10 of the schools I applied. I have only received two 'no interviews'.

I don't know what to do. December 1st is coming up soon, and I don't know if I should still pray for an interview or try and make other plans to try and get myself into dental school. For example, pre-dental post bachelors, or graduate schools. In addition, I have no idea as to how to apply to these schools. Am I suppose to take a GRE, but I have a friend who said they took his DAT score instead and he did not take the GRE.

I am literally lost, and hopeless right now. :scared: Not to mention, I can't even get in contact with anyone from admissions from any of the schools I applied to about any advice that they could give me.

I hope someone can help me on this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

can you give us your stats?

I ask b/c if you have 3.8 with 20 DAT then there is something wrong.
But if you have < 3.0 with 18AA, I wouldn't be surprised.

I have a 3.11 and a AA 20, SA 21, PT 21

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I think you are probably going to need to get your GPA up. Whether this is just taking some more upper level classes, or getting a masters degree is your decision.

I have a 3.11 and a AA 20, SA 21, PT 21

What's your breakdown of your DAT sections? Your averages seem good, but is there one section that was particularly low or was it pretty balanced? I agree that raising your GPA would definitely help. There's still time this cycle, but it's good that you're planning ahead. Also, what schools did you apply to?

16 math, 25 orgo, 20 bio, 21 gen chem, 18 reading, 21 PAT

2.96sGPA i think maybe 3.0

16 math, 25 orgo, 20 bio, 21 gen chem, 18 reading, 21 PAT

2.96sGPA i think maybe 3.0

I think thats the culprit right there. Many (if not all) schools tend to put heavy emphasis on the sGPA, even more so than the overall GPA. If you don't get in this cycle (HUGE IF), do some post-bacc work, try to have 1-2 semesters of 15 credits each and 4.0 all of it. Good luck to ya

Can I do any Post-Bach, or do I do a specified pre-dental post bachelors?
Even the specified pre-dent post -bach. are competitive4 to get into because there's like less then 10 in the U.S.

Can I do any Post-Bach, or do I do a specified pre-dental post bachelors?
Even the specified pre-dent post -bach. are competitive4 to get into because there's like less then 10 in the U.S.

You don't have to get into one of those fancy formal post-baccs. Just do an informal one, basically when you get your bachelors degree, keep taking undergrad level courses (mainly in 300 and 400 level biology courses ~ anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, immunology, pharmacology, histology, etc etc)

You should check out the sub 3.0 club thread for some more advice on the matter. There are some really good examples of people in your situation who have a lower than average GPA and come back from it to get a dental school acceptance. Check it out.

In a nutshell it is advisable that you do do a Master's or at least a 1 year post-Bacc to show them what kind of student you are. For instance: what kind of class load are you taking right now in the fall and are you getting close to a 4.0? Seeing that you did well on the DAT means that you are capable of getting straight A's. This is what you have to do to show that you are at a different place right now in your studies and that previous years do not exemplify your work ethic. Get researching what you need to do, get to work, and good luck!

If I do an informal post-bach, should I do it at the college I graduated from. I graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago, or should i take my classes at a community college?

Also should i not expect any invitations for interviews anymore and just focus of making my application stronger for next cycle? Or is it possible to receive an interview this late?

no i wouldnt take it at community. and it doesnt matter where you do it really, you dont have to do your postbacc from you actual undergrad university. You can do it at another university, which is what im doing. I think in your case, you dont need to give up hope JUST YET!! hold on to it ! but what you SHOULD do is still find a plan B, as in you need to start looking into how youre going to do your informal postbacc, when and where you want to start taking your classes (figure out the classes, the financials of this, etc) and see if you can get yourself registered. Many of these informal post baccs are on a space available basis, where the actual students who attend that university get priority for seats in a class/lab. So u need to speak to someone who will let you take the courses you want as a non matriculated student. then just wait it out for this cycle....many people do get spring interviews. my friend who had similar stats as you got an interview invite in feb to NYU and was accepted. So it IS possible, its just defly not a sure thing. So get yourself prepared for next cycle. goodluck. pm is you have any questions

Have you graduated already or are you a senior? Regardless, you should be taking more upper level science course right now, but especially next semester if you are already out of school. For next cycle you would be applying this June 2011. There's really nothing you can do about this cycle other than wait and see, so you need to be working on your application for next cycle. I don't know how your ECs are but you might want to increase those too (I'm pretty sure that's what has been hurting me).

no i wouldnt take it at community. and it doesnt matter where you do it really, you dont have to do your postbacc from you actual undergrad university. You can do it at another university, which is what im doing. I think in your case, you dont need to give up hope JUST YET!! hold on to it ! but what you SHOULD do is still find a plan B, as in you need to start looking into how youre going to do your informal postbacc, when and where you want to start taking your classes (figure out the classes, the financials of this, etc) and see if you can get yourself registered. Many of these informal post baccs are on a space available basis, where the actual students who attend that university get priority for seats in a class/lab. So u need to speak to someone who will let you take the courses you want as a non matriculated student. then just wait it out for this cycle....many people do get spring interviews. my friend who had similar stats as you got an interview invite in feb to NYU and was accepted. So it IS possible, its just defly not a sure thing. So get yourself prepared for next cycle. goodluck. pm is you have any questions

when did your friend submit his/her aadsas?

I applied in July. I too wonder when your friend applied

Many schools send their rejection letters in Dec so we will be hearing from them soon.