1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

No science GPA junior year//What kind of GPA needs an explanation?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pianola, Jun 2, 2008.

1. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Two things:

1. I literally don't have a science GPA my junior year because I didn't take any science courses. What does that look like on AMCAS? Do they just draw a line through that year? Any thoughts?

2. Curious for SDN feedback: What type of I-had-a-bad-semester GPA needs explaining?

A 3.0? A 2.7? A 2.5? A 2.0? Higher than a 3.0?

[My AO and BCPM GPAs in total are decent enough (>3.7 overall for each)]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ka-bump.

4. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    BCPM for junior year would have two empty cells, one for gpa and one for credits earned. No biggie, particularly if you were a humanities major (we see this with some engineers, too).

GPA is shown by year, not semester and is broken out as BCPM, AO (all other) and total. I'd think that more than one C in a year would need some explaining as would a sub 3.0 gpa in an academic year.

5. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks, LizzyM!

Fortunately, 3.02 is my low (one semester only) and I have only one B- in college (no Cs). So I think I'll just not explain it unless it comes up at an interview. Which I kind of hope it doesn't.

Best,
    pianola

6. MaryLennox

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i started trying to figure out what mine will look like- but i took one semester off when i had mono (my 3rd semester, so first semester of soph year, fall.)

is the year you speak of based on standing (fresh, soph, number of credits?) or a calendar year (fall and spring of that year?) so basically would my GPA for my second year just be my grades from spring, or from that spring and the following fall?

7. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it's based on the academic year.

Each semester, an AO and a BCPM GPA is calculated. I guess as far as LizzyM is saying, there are just dashes in places where no AO or BCPM classes are taken. If you want to see what this looks like, print out your entire app and you'll see a chart of GPAs that explains what I'm talking about. It will not be filled in if you've not yet been verified.

There is an overall AO and BCPM calculated for each year as well, but I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that it's a cumulative AO and BCPM GPA.

The bottom line is that AMCAS slices and dices your GPAs in every way imaginable. :thumbdown:

8. MaryLennox

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah . . . after reading this i started doing calculations and i am not sure how i feel about it . . . once i separate all the BCPM from the AO stuff, the BCPM (above 3.5) is looking much better than the AO (about 3.35 :() i havent finished all my BCPMs so if i bust my arse i could get it as high as ~3.7. The AO is pretty much set in stone though. Which made me think of another question you (and or Lizzy) may be able to answer. Which is, how harshly do you get judged on your AO if you were nontraditional/nonsci/nonpremed? I mean, all the classes I got C's in are really dumb. Like Shakespeare. and jewelry. and back when i was taking them i never even dreamed of applying to med school, so i was totally unconcerned about my grades. how much can i get forgiven for this?? especially if my BCPM is decent? (and, hope to god, MCAT is decent?)

i am also getting an MS . . . hope that will help. Pianola, i think we are in a very similar boat but you are a year ahead of me, right? (i am going to apply next summer for fall '10.) PM me if you want, i am curious about your progress!!