no science next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anand17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an economics major in my junior year and have finished all my prereqs, genetics, and biochem. I didnt want to take science classes next semester because of my mcats, but i am taking 17 credits, 3 being upper level classes in other fields (econ, socio). I thought this would be ok but my advisor told me it would be the kiss of death if i didnt take at least one science next semester. My science gpa is a 3.6 and my overall is a 3.7. wat do u guys think, "kiss of death"?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine, don't worry about it. I don't think the spread of your classes should matter, as long as you complete them. I'm a double major in econ and bio and I finished my science degree in my junior year, so I'm not taking any more science classes, except maybe for fun next semester (I figure the next 4 years will be all science so I should take this opportunity to learn other things while I can). Hasn't really done anything to me, except given me time to learn more economics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im an economics major in my junior year and have finished all my prereqs, genetics, and biochem. I didnt want to take science classes next semester because of my mcats, but i am taking 17 credits, 3 being upper level classes in other fields (econ, socio). I thought this would be ok but my advisor told me it would be the kiss of death if i didnt take at least one science next semester. My science gpa is a 3.6 and my overall is a 3.7. wat do u guys think, "kiss of death"?

Yes, having one semester in which you do not worship at the throne of useless undergraduate science courses will doom you forever in the admissions process. It is so unfortunate that "pre-med advisors" just sit around and make things up.

your adviser is being over-dramatic. Take what you want within your area of study and you will be fine. Your GPA is very good and you would get in some good med schools if it just stayed constant.

I can tell you that I've had at least a whole year without science classes--no biggie. I don't know why your advisor would say such a thing... was it to tell you that you needed science classes to boost up your science GPA? (which, btw, isn't bad at all...)