No science requirement for admission at this school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBoost

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was browsing through medical school websites, and I came across University of Virginia Medical school requirements. They don't require you to take science pre-reqs. I am not saying that it is going to be an easy task for anyone to get into this school, but for non-traditional older student this can be a great time saver.

If one can score really good on MCATs by self studying, do you guys think they have a shot, given that they did good in their prior undergrad degree. Are there any schools that will consider students with just a bachelor degree and a good MCAT score in U.S, without fulfilling the science coursework.

My intent is to find some answers, I do not in any way or form believe that pre-reqs are unnecessary, they do provide a great science foundation. But I just had to ask this.

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/ed...sions/the-uva-som-1/general-requirements.html

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I was browsing through medical school websites, and I came across University of Virginia Medical school requirements. They don't require you to take science pre-reqs. I am not saying that it is going to be an easy task for anyone to get into this school, but for non-traditional older student this can be a great time saver.

If one can score really good on MCATs by self studying, do you guys think they have a shot, given that they did good in their prior undergrad degree. Are there any schools that will consider students with just a bachelor degree and a good MCAT score in U.S, without fulfilling the science coursework.

My intent is to find some answers, I do not in any way or form believe that pre-reqs are unnecessary, they do provide a great science foundation. But I just had to ask this.

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/ed...sions/the-uva-som-1/general-requirements.html
Tulane doesn't have requirements. I'm pretty sure it will still be a challenging application!

Theoretically. But I think you'll find studying for the MCAT very challenging without prior exposure to the material. I imagine in order to have a reasonable chance at being accepted without taking the prereqs you would have to get a phenomenal score on the MCAT and have some sort of scientific background. Otherwise, I don't think you'll convince the adcoms to take you.

Members don't see this ad :)

A number of programs technically don't require a bachelors degree either. But there's a difference between theory and practice. If a Nobel prize winner in physics wanted to go to med school but didn't have all the requisite bio courses, exceptions might be made. If you wanted to go but didn't take the same courses adcoms wouldn't be so forgiving. The short answer is that where 99.9% of the applicant pool are going to have taken the prereqs, if you didn't you are going to have to have a pretty good reason (working on that Nobel prize winning research, curing AIDS, etc) to get the equivalent consideration. So consider this n unstated requirement.

Even assuming that these two schools truly don't care about having taken any pre-reqs (unlikely), the fact still remains that by not taking the pre-reqs not only are you making your life very hard on the MCAT, but you're also eliminating almost all of your options for applying. In an admissions process where it's common to apply to 10-20 schools, you really don't want to be in a situation where you're stuck with only two schools to choose from.