No Scrubs to Class OR Lab??!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegegirl247

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your pharmacy schools dress code not allow student pharmacists to wear scrubs to class and does not require them for labs? But rather enforce that students must wear business casual.

I thought that scrubs were standard attire but I must be wrong...

Members don't see this ad.

Does your pharmacy schools dress code not allow student pharmacists to wear scrubs to class and does not require them for labs? But rather enforce that students must wear business casual.

Scrubs are not require for pharmacists, why should that be expected of it's students?

To labs, lab coats should be expected, but otherwise you should follow the dress code.

At Nova they let you wear scrubs to class everyday and to lab. You have to wear your white coat buttoned up during lab the entire time you are in there. When you are in class you are allowed to take the white coat off while sitting down but if you are on campus you must wear the white coat from 9-5, after 5 your can wear whatever you want. If you come on campus during business hours out of uniform they will send you home.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Nova they let you wear scrubs to class everyday and to lab. You have to wear your white coat buttoned up during lab the entire time you are in there. When you are in class you are allowed to take the white coat off while sitting down but if you are on campus you must wear the white coat from 9-5, after 5 your can wear whatever you want. If you come on campus during business hours out of uniform they will send you home.

I like that

Scrubs are not require for pharmacists, why should that be expected of it's students?

To labs, lab coats should be expected, but otherwise you should follow the dress code.

you are only addressing retail...pharmacy is a much larger scope than that! What about hospital or research??

Why would you wear scrubs? Even in hospitals pharmacists don't wear scrubs, at least in the hospitals I've been in.

Why would you wear scrubs? Even in hospitals pharmacists don't wear scrubs, at least in the hospitals I've been in.

are you saying that your school does not wear scrubs?

and I've been in (volunteered/ shadowed/ etc.) 3 hospitals all of which the pharmacists wear scrubs- I think its a health code thing that requires them

All we have been told is that some of our classes require us to wear business casual attire... I'm assuming the other days you can wear whatever you like. I've volunteered in two hospital, in both hospitals the pharmacists wear a lab coat over business causal attire. I'm glad... scrubs are not flattering! They remind me of pyjamas. Eww!

If I wore scrubs to school, I'd be asked to leave and wear something more appropriate. We are in graduate school for goodness sake.

and I've been in (volunteered/ shadowed/ etc.) 3 hospitals all of which the pharmacists wear scrubs- I think its a health code thing that requires them

pharmacists don't interact with patients in hospital so i dunno why would they wear scrubs??? i second collegegal too...

I work at a hospital pharmacy, and the pharmacists only wear scrubs when in the IV room. Other than that, no need to. They wear casual business attire, and our directors wear formal business attire.

Each school sets its own dress code. At UIW we can wear scrubs to both class and lab if the lab that day allows it. You have to be wearing the lab coat at all times for class/lab unless the prof says you can take it off. I usually take it off because I get too hot.

If you get up for break and go outside the class/lab you need to have it on. Other than that, you are in professional dress which means for guys: dress shirt, tie and slacks/khakis.

Each school sets its own dress code. At UIW we can wear scrubs to both class and lab if the lab that day allows it. You have to be wearing the lab coat at all times for class/lab unless the prof says you can take it off. I usually take it off because I get too hot.

If you get up for break and go outside the class/lab you need to have it on. Other than that, you are in professional dress which means for guys: dress shirt, tie and slacks/khakis.

I think scrubs are nice because they are very comfortable haha especially if you are going to be in between class, then rotations and the library to study!! Plus it gives the class a very uniform and cohesive look...but I really like this idea of wearing the Lab coat at all times I think it looks very professional.

speaking of which..WHAT DO YOUR LAB COATS LOOK LIKE?? shorter, longer, patch, no patch etc???

Members don't see this ad :)
All we have been told is that some of our classes require us to wear business casual attire... I'm assuming the other days you can wear whatever you like. I've volunteered in two hospital, in both hospitals the pharmacists wear a lab coat over business causal attire. I'm glad... scrubs are not flattering! They remind me of pyjamas. Eww!

I can appreciate that...but still I guess some hospitals think that even if you are not in direct contact with patients, for health/safety reasons if you are working in the hospital you should be wearing scrubs.

I think scrubs are nice because they are very comfortable haha especially if you are going to be in between class, then rotations and the library to study!! Plus it gives the class a very uniform and cohesive look...but I really like this idea of wearing the Lab coat at all times I think it looks very professional.

It's would be a hassle to deal with and too impractical imo.

It's would be a hassle to deal with and too impractical imo.

think of it this way...if you had to study allll day long what would you wear?? I personally would probably wear pajama pants and a comfy t-shirt...aka scrubs ?? lol

its a personal opinion...I guess both business casual and scrubs have their ups and downs!

think of it this way...if you had to study allll day long what would you wear?? I personally would probably wear pajama pants and a comfy t-shirt...aka scrubs ?? lol

its a personal opinion...I guess both business casual and scrubs have their ups and downs!

When I'm in public I enjoy a pair of jeans and a t-shirt or a hoodie in the winter. I am all sorts of lazy though, and changing into scrubs and out of it throughout the day would drive me nuts.

When I'm in public I enjoy a pair of jeans and a t-shirt or a hoodie in the winter. I am all sorts of lazy though, and changing into scrubs and out of it throughout the day would drive me nuts.

im lazy too...thats why I suggest scrubs all day!

Most of the NYC hospitals that I know of ask pharamcists to wear dress shirts and attire. For IVs, they might wear semi scrubs, but not necessary.

Our school is strictly dress attire with white lab coat. Scrubs are not allowed unless we are dealing with animals.

LOL

we can wear whatever we want any day of the week. have to dress up for or Lab (includes coat).

seriously tho, dressig up/wearing scrubs whenever you're on campus? what is that accomplishing?

speaking of which..WHAT DO YOUR LAB COATS LOOK LIKE?? shorter, longer, patch, no patch etc???

Our lab coats are longer, past the waist and you can opt to have the school logo embroidered on the left shoulder at your cost. The white coat, which we get in our first semester at a white coat ceremony, is shorter, about waist length, is thicker than the lab coat and has the school logo embroidered on the left shoulder. This is the coat you will be wearing on rotations in the fourth year.

Our lab coats are longer, past the waist and you can opt to have the school logo embroidered on the left shoulder at your cost. The white coat, which we get in our first semester at a white coat ceremony, is shorter, about waist length, is thicker than the lab coat and has the school logo embroidered on the left shoulder. This is the coat you will be wearing on rotations in the fourth year.

thanks for pointing that out...I thought that they were one in the same- im still a rookie

Wow, schools actually have dress codes? Sucks to go to that school. At LIU, the only time I've ever worn a lab coat is in microbiology lab.

The pharmacy students just wear a lab coat to the labs, but I've never heard of this business casual shenanigans. Unless the person is a prick, most people generally wear a hoodie and jeans.

And for the lab coat, I just wear a t-shirt and jeans underneath it. Health-care is not a business and it shouldn't be run like one.

Back to the point about scrubs, I love them, they are so comfortable. I just hate it when people wear scrubs outside of work. I mean, just wear your t-shirt and jeans until you get to the hospital, take a shower there and change into your scrubs, instead of picking up the millions of microbes on the buses and trains.

LOL

seriously tho, dressig up/wearing scrubs whenever you're on campus? what is that accomplishing?

I often go straight from school to work - hence scrubs to class at times.

Our labs require the white coat and a collared shirt (I can't remember if that applied to girls as well, but I think boys needed a tie).

the big problem with business casual all the time is the dry cleaning bills!

yeah that sucks...and plus business casual means I will have to wear heels...not very comfortable EVERY DAY.

As our dean said during our orientation "We are not dental students" (we share our building with the dental school and they all wear light blue scrubs, and I swear its like they are everywhere all the time. Its just a mass of light blue everywhere I go). I love the fact that I get to go to school in jean/sweats/hoodies/what ever the hell I feel like wearing. Though I wouldn't mind being able to wear scrubs all day every day, can you say comfortable! We dress business casual/fully dress up on occasion, but thats about it. oh and I agree that business casual does not mean wearing heels. Business casual means flats!

I wear Danskos with most of my business casual stuff.

i was referring to the ppl that have to wear scrubs or dress clothes at all times while on campus.

I often go straight from school to work - hence scrubs to class at times.

Our labs require the white coat and a collared shirt (I can't remember if that applied to girls as well, but I think boys needed a tie).

the big problem with business casual all the time is the dry cleaning bills!

Wow, schools actually have dress codes? Sucks to go to that school. At LIU, the only time I've ever worn a lab coat is in microbiology lab.

The pharmacy students just wear a lab coat to the labs, but I've never heard of this business casual shenanigans. Unless the person is a prick, most people generally wear a hoodie and jeans.

And for the lab coat, I just wear a t-shirt and jeans underneath it. Health-care is not a business and it shouldn't be run like one.

Back to the point about scrubs, I love them, they are so comfortable. I just hate it when people wear scrubs outside of work. I mean, just wear your t-shirt and jeans until you get to the hospital, take a shower there and change into your scrubs, instead of picking up the millions of microbes on the buses and trains.

Healthcare not a business???? Are you kidding??

CVS is a business, hospice care is a business, home health care is a business, private hospitals are a business, pharmaceutical companies are businesses......

Without income you go out of business. Unless, you get a government subsidy, then you are not a 'business,' in the money sense. Very few government-subsidized establishments out there, though, in comparison.

Ahhhh.....I just noticed you're Pre-Health.

You'll learn....

pharmacists don't interact with patients in hospital so i dunno why would they wear scrubs??? i second collegegal too...

You are wrong. Pharmacists do have MANY opportunities to interact with patients in the hospital. I know a good handful that deal directly with patients on a daily basis.

Surgeons don't interact much with patients either (besides pre-screen/consent procedures...) and they wear scrubs 24/7. I do wear scrub to work and so do my fellow pharmacists at the hospital. As long as you wear your name tags with your tittle on, you're fine.

Surgeons don't interact much with patients either (besides pre-screen/consent procedures...) and they wear scrubs 24/7. I do wear scrub to work and so do my fellow pharmacists at the hospital. As long as you wear your name tags with your tittle on, you're fine.

Why would anyone be against wearing comfy scrubs to class? And for all the people who don't wear scrubs to their labs, do you not do any IV stuff?

is there any way that a student government can get together to vote to change the dress code?

The only way a dress code could be changed is if administration wants a change. This, however, is highly unlikely, if they want it changed, they will change it.

Why are you trying to campaign for a dress code change, anyway?

The only way a dress code could be changed is if administration wants a change. This, however, is highly unlikely, if they want it changed, they will change it.

Why are you trying to campaign for a dress code change, anyway?

haha im not ...just wanted to see what other pharmacy students have to wear. I was under the impression that every pharmacy school required scrubs, so I thought a business dress code was weird- thats all.

I can tell you the reason we wear professional dress is b/c of our dean. She has an amazing reputation in the pharmacy community and she doesn't want her students coming in looking like normal undergrad students (not that it's a bad thing, it's just her way). Since we are a private school, we depend on most of our money, outside of tuition, from donations. The donors like to see all of us dressed professionally and it makes them more confident to invest their money in our school. This is part of the reason she wants us looking professional every day b/c we as students never know when they will be showing up. Plus, her ideology on this matter is, if you are dressed professionally, you will more than likely think and act professionally. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

I can tell you the reason we wear professional dress is b/c of our dean. She has an amazing reputation in the pharmacy community and she doesn't want her students coming in looking like normal undergrad students (not that it's a bad thing, it's just her way). Since we are a private school, we depend on most of our money, outside of tuition, from donations. The donors like to see all of us dressed professionally and it makes them more confident to invest their money in our school. This is part of the reason she wants us looking professional every day b/c we as students never know when they will be showing up. Plus, her ideology on this matter is, if you are dressed professionally, you will more than likely think and act professionally. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

See but I think that students wearing matching scrubs and your lab coat with your name embroidered on it IS professional in the medical field...personal opinion

I think a lot of people have different views on scrubs- if you are wearing pressed scrubs that are in good condition, it is professional...just like if you are wearing business attire that is dirty and wrinkled you don't look professional at all.

I can tell you the reason we wear professional dress is b/c of our dean. She has an amazing reputation in the pharmacy community and she doesn't want her students coming in looking like normal undergrad students (not that it's a bad thing, it's just her way).

undergrad students dont wear scrubs though

Why would anyone be against wearing comfy scrubs to class? And for all the people who don't wear scrubs to their labs, do you not do any IV stuff?

for our IV labs we just wore our regular business attire with our lab coat over it. Heck, at work if I'm not in scrubs I can wear regular clothes and put ona gown over them. (although not sure if that's still possible since 797...).

but overall, my school does not have a dress code. Sometimes I wish it did!

See but I think that students wearing matching scrubs and your lab coat with your name embroidered on it IS professional in the medical field...personal opinion

I think a lot of people have different views on scrubs- if you are wearing pressed scrubs that are in good condition, it is professional...just like if you are wearing business attire that is dirty and wrinkled you don't look professional at all.

None of the pharmacists I worked with at the hospital ever wore scrubs AND a white coat. They either wore scrubs or dressed business casual with the white coat. Wearing both looks ridiculous. Everyone wearing the exact same scrubs makes you look like drones. I am not pharmacy student #134.

Believe me, I agree with you. I would love to wear scrubs every day because you don't have to think "does this tie match the shirt?" Plus they are way more comfy. That being said, professional dress looks better to those that you are trying to squeeze donations out of. :D

As for the type of scrubs, yeah pressed scrubs in good condition look good. I think people are thinking of the surgical scrubs that docs wear that are actually part of a laundry service they pay for and they don't actually own them. They get washed with harsh disinfectants with super hot water so they wear out quickly and don't look as good. Dickies or Landau, depending on the color, will look good for a long time and will resist fading.

Forgive my ignorance/lack of knowledge, but how exactly does one wear scrubs ?

When I volunteered at a hospital and had a wear white scrubs, I wore a pair of pants underneath because the white scrubs were so thin, sheer and see through, I felt a bit uncomfortable about wearing them alone.

Are scrubs that some of you wear light blue or dark colored ?

Forgive my ignorance/lack of knowledge, but how exactly does one wear scrubs ?

When I volunteered at a hospital and had a wear white scrubs, I wore a pair of pants underneath because the white scrubs were so thin, sheer and see through, I felt a bit uncomfortable about wearing them alone.

Are scrubs that some of you wear light blue or dark colored ?

We have darker colored scrubs that you don't have to wear anything extra under, except a t-shirt for the guys. Poly/cotton blends tend to rub our nipples raw.

We have darker colored scrubs that you don't have to wear anything extra under, except a t-shirt for the guys. Poly/cotton blends tend to rub our nipples raw.

Hahaha,that's such a naughty thing to say. I guess if I ever have to wear scrubs, that's not something I'll worry about thanks to victoria's secret. :laugh: