No seats for the MCAT -- help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txmed73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been studying for a month for the MCAT and planned to take it January 23rd. Everyone said you should register to take it 2 months before the exam so I planned on doing so this month. I went online and THERE ARE NO SEATS AVAILABLE. :(:nailbiting: There were plenty of seats at my university last time I checked and all of a sudden there are only a few states left.

What do I do? Do I register for a test in another state and fly there (I live in Texas. Currently only Iowa, North and South Dakota, Guam, Wisconsin, Alberta, and Nova Scotia are available)? Or should I just throw in the towel and take the new MCAT on the first test date?

I have all the old MCAT study materials, I've been using Exam Krackers. I don't know what to do! I know people say keep checking for available seats but I can't just study my butt off for the MCAT and be ready in January only to have to end up taking a new one and learning more content for the one in April. Or....is that what I should do? I don't know...opinions and advice please!

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep checking back. I found a test date after a few days of looking.
Seats tend to open up after scores from prior tests are released. So pay attention to that too.

I'm scheduled for November..i was looking to reschedule to somewhere near Ontario/Michigan/Buffalo for January but couldn't find any spots either.
Honestly, flying is slowing turning into an option :bang:

I think they will open up. Some people who took September tests have some seats locked down in case they're scores don't turn out as expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the end of the world. Pick a date in early January, still winter break for us. Fly there 1 day earlier, relax, enjoy Iowa (or whatever you pick), kick butt on the test, and fly home. I'm making mine into a road trip for sure and wouldn't have hesitated flying to the Alaska spot (just not Guam).

I have been studying for a month for the MCAT and planned to take it January 23rd. Everyone said you should register to take it 2 months before the exam so I planned on doing so this month. I went online and THERE ARE NO SEATS AVAILABLE. :(:nailbiting: There were plenty of seats at my university last time I checked and all of a sudden there are only a few states left.

What do I do? Do I register for a test in another state and fly there (I live in Texas. Currently only Iowa, North and South Dakota, Guam, Wisconsin, Alberta, and Nova Scotia are available)? Or should I just throw in the towel and take the new MCAT on the first test date?

I have all the old MCAT study materials, I've been using Exam Krackers. I don't know what to do! I know people say keep checking for available seats but I can't just study my butt off for the MCAT and be ready in January only to have to end up taking a new one and learning more content for the one in April. Or....is that what I should do? I don't know...opinions and advice please!

If funds permit:
1. Register for an exam in a location that's NOT your first choice. This is your back up plan.
2. Keep checking AAMC's website to see if a seat opens up at your first choice location.
3. If a seat DOES open up, reserve it immediately! If not, at least you still have the option of taking the test.

If you are all prepared for the 2014 test (and not the 2015 test) then take the 2014 version.

Reactions: 1 users
The Sept. 4th MCAT scores come out in the next couple of hours, so be on the lookout for seats opening up tonight/tomorrow

There are no testing sites posted (not seats, SITES) for January at all... Will this change? I think Guam is the only option in early January...

On AAMC Twitter, they said they'll be opening up more seats for the available dates in certain areas (guessing the most needed places) in the upcoming weeks. I think they'll gradually add them over the next few weeks so keep checking.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been hearing that the 2015 mcat is NOT significantly different than 2014..is this true? does anyone have any info on how little or how big of a difference there will be?
As far as seats goes, i just want to say.....f%%%%%k me for not signing up earlier +pissed+

Reactions: 1 user
The big difference is the addition of biochemistry, and sociology/psych content, plus a revision of the existing sections (so the topics focused on in Physics or OChem etc might change a little). The new content is the big worry for most people.

My personal experience: On my trial section of MCAT2015 psych/socio I got about half right which placed me in the top quarter of trial section takers! And I've taken 300 level courses in sociology and cognitive psych! So the new material will require additional mounds of studying, even if you have strong background, just like the rest already did in the old MCAT.

I have been hearing that the 2015 mcat is NOT significantly different than 2014..is this true? does anyone have any info on how little or how big of a difference there will be?
As far as seats goes, i just want to say.....f%%%%%k me for not signing up earlier +pissed+

Pretty much the current MCAT stuff with biochem, soc, and psych added so it will be longer. I think if people are already studying for the current MCAT, they should be good for the sciences stuff and will have to study up on the 3 other topics. You can find the similarities/differences here:

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/332616/whichexamwillyoutake.html

I know scores are being released today. Do you guys/gals feel like some January seats will open up today? My last date to reschedule my 11/7 date is on October 22nd. FREAKING OUT!