Dec 30, 2015
So I wrote the MCAT recently (Aug 5), could not sleep worth anything the night before. I think I slept maybe 1-2 hours. Plus random light sleep here and there. I was extremely awake and alarmed throughout the test though, I didn't feel tired or felt I was struggling energy/attention wise up until the second half of the psyc section. Even then I was able to pull through (only feeling a little tired). I felt good about the exam, but now I'm beginning to worry about how much of an effect very little sleep may have made (esp silly mistakes). Also from reading the reddit reaction posts it seems that there was a difficult and moderate version of the MCAT on that day. I think I had the former, making silly mistakes an even bigger deal on an exam where the curve is high.

My question is should I retake it on the 19th and try sleeping aids this time? Of course I'll experiment with them now and not the night before. I just don't know what to do since I want to have the satisfaction that I did everything I could, but also don't want to risk anything or delay my AMCAS application too long (not sure how much of an effect the extra 9 business days to get my score will have).

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I can't recommend retaking until you know your score.

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
So I wrote the MCAT recently (Aug 5), could not sleep worth anything the night before. I think I slept maybe 1-2 hours. Plus random light sleep here and there. I was extremely awake and alarmed throughout the test though, I didn't feel tired or felt I was struggling energy/attention wise up until the second half of the psyc section. Even then I was able to pull through (only feeling a little tired). I felt good about the exam, but now I'm beginning to worry about how much of an effect very little sleep may have made (esp silly mistakes). Also from reading the reddit reaction posts it seems that there was a difficult and moderate version of the MCAT on that day. I think I had the former, making silly mistakes an even bigger deal on an exam where the curve is high.

My question is should I retake it on the 19th and try sleeping aids this time? Of course I'll experiment with them now and not the night before. I just don't know what to do since I want to have the satisfaction that I did everything I could, but also don't want to risk anything or delay my AMCAS application too long (not sure how much of an effect the extra 9 business days to get my score will have).
Submitting your application before you know your MCAT score is rather risky as well... Don't compound that with another retake already. Even if you end up doing poorly, don't retake it again this cycle. Unless you make a significant improvement, it will be looked at poorly by adcoms.