1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

No sleep/concentration for 1st year students at NYU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Super Rob, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Super Rob

Super Rob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Prospective NYU first years...

Did you get the email, warning you about the major construction project adjacent to Rubin Hall? It's supposed to start every weekday morning at 7 a.m. and go through 6 p.m. Nice.

They say something like "think twice" before signing a contract to live at Rubin cuz if you can't put up with the noise... you're _ _ _ _ _ ed.

Too bad rent in the city is outrageous.

Has this email affected anyone's decision? There was construction at my old school, outside of my dorm, and even though they were supposed to start at seven, I was routinely blasted out of bed every morning at 5. I'm surprised I didn't sleep through all of my classes. Can't wait for the email from NYU telling us we'll have to walk on hot coals and pay an extra ten thousand a year beyond what the budget predicts...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you're creative, you can find housing in the city. Knowing people is always the best way to go. My family has lived on and off in the city all of my life. I have housing already, family, so that's good and bad. But at this time, I'm going to be the only one there. The draw back is that I'll be way up town, East 95th. Well, not way up, but up enough.

4. doogiehowserfan

doogiehowserfan Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

What is the location of their Rubin dorm?? I'm curious because they have an undergraduate freshman dorm by that name, and you certainly wouldn't want to live there. They could be different, however.
    Also, you might want to take into consideration that there is ALWAYS construction going on in the city, no matter where you live. so even though it puts a damper on your choice, it's still something you'll get VERY used to.

good luck choosing housing

5. Eyecon82

Eyecon82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh my god...that would suck.....and If i were in that position...i would think twice about going....i had to live through construction at UIC ....and it was horrible...i mean you have taxis blasting their damn horn at the cars that slow down for the construction...you can't concentrate when you need to....cant sleep....and you always have to worry about finding a quiet place to study

6. nighttrain

nighttrain Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm not getting any of these emails and mailings from NYU. what's the deal?

hey super rob, what i've got so far is the acceptance packet, NYU physician magazine, and the housing forms. No emails. Am i missing anything?

7. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

me neither. may i recommend a good pair of industrial ear plugs?

8. BioMedResearch

BioMedResearch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think rubin is on the east side drive which is the main highway of the city. On my interview day my tour guide said that she's annoyed more at night by the noise because trucks/ambulances are going on that road alot and when there's traffic at rush hour times no one really honks. So the noise is early morning and late night.

She also said something about this construction. They are building an extension on the hospital for research and they work year round. This is just another thing that makes me wonder if I'm looking at the right place for me. Can you imagine coming home for anatomy, stinking, tired, and getting woken up at 5am.

I had the same experience in college. We were told it would only be from 9am to 5pm and it was more like butt crack of dawn to 5pm. It really made for an comfortable experience and I think contributed to my poor performance on a midterm.

9. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

No offense, but I think you define creative as finding a nice sewer grate under a bridge. Housing in NYC can run incredibly expensive, unless you choose to live in lower-income areas such as Harlem or way uptown in Riverdale. Decent housing in most parts of the city runs at least 1000-1500 (and 1,000 if you know someone and are willing to kill a few people). Then, 1500*12 months = $18,000. For a medical student who is already taking out huge loans to pay tutition and all the other costs, 18,000 is entirely too much to pay. That's why all the medical schools in the city offer housing on campus or subsidized housing elsewhere.

Personally, if the noise became a problem, I would get a group of students together and try to force the administration to remedy the situation by fixing the hours of the construction project or moving you elsewhere.

10. nighttrain

nighttrain Member
    10+ Year Member

Looking at a bunch of schools during interview season, I've realized that no school is even close to perfect. They all have problems if you look hard at all. Even when I interviewed at UCLA, which I though was the perfect school, students repeatedly responded to "how do you like it here?" with a resounding "well... no med school is perfect per se..."

NYU's getting some bad press these days on SDN, but its a totally sweet place. I'm going there and am really looking forward to it.

11. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

Bad press? No... well what about these two threads?:confused:

Numero Uno

Numero Dos

:idea:

12. Chrisobean

Chrisobean The Killer Bean
    7+ Year Member

i would just like to say this is a really cute name for the FDR. :)

13. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

sorry brain fart.

:p

14. secretmiss

secretmiss Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Seriously, it seems like everyday there is new bad news from NYU. Anyone have any idea how long the project will take? Also, if you can't study in your room, are there good alternatives in the med school? If I remember the library was small and mostly just computers? Does NYU have small PBL type classrooms that students can study in? Will it be loud in the school too?

15. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

Looks like it'll be a good year or two till the noise goes away.

I googled and came up with this:

...The 13-story building, which will overlook the East River, is scheduled to open in 2005. The state-of-the-art facility will provide some 100,000 square feet of lab space to accommodate research projects in 10 major programs: cancer, cardiovascular biology, cardiology, nephrology, infectious diseases, neuroscience systems, molecular neuroscience, microbial pathogenesis, epithelial cell biology, and genetics/ genomics/ proteomics...

16. secretmiss

secretmiss Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

On a different note, the email mentioned signing a lease in the end of June. Am I right to assume that is a binding lease? Therefore, are you stuck paying the rent for the year if you get accepted off a waitlist in July or are you not responsible in that situation? Any thoughts?

17. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

Can you post the e-mail? Stil don't got it.

18. secretmiss

secretmiss Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dear New Student:

As we welcome you to NYU and celebrate with you on the start of your medical career, we would like to advise you about an issue affecting Rubin Hall, the on-campus dormitory where the majority of first-year students will be assigned.

Rubin Hall is adjacent to the construction site for the new Smilow Research building, a facility that is very important to the future growth and accomplishments that will further enhance the NYU School of Medicine standing as a premier research center. While construction continues, there will be noise and disruption, especially where facilities face the construction site. This applies particularly to the north side of Rubin Hall, which includes odd-numbered, larger rooms.

Construction work hours are generally from 7am to 3:30 pm on weekdays, although the permit allows work until 6:00 pm on weekdays.

We suggest that you consider the above facts before you sign your housing license which will be sent to you with your assignment. At that time, you will have to sign the license and return it to us in order to confirm your assignment. Once in effect, your license continues for the entire period of your student enrollment. You have an opportunity once each year to cancel the license as of June 30, as long as you provide at least 30 days advance written notice. Requests to cancel student licenses mid-year due to noise or inconvenience related to the construction will not be granted, so please be aware of that as you sign your license.

Assignments will be made in order according to the date the housing applications were received in our office.

Feel free to call us if you have any questions. We wish you great success with your medical career.

19. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

Is it me or are these e-mails and correspondences less and less friendly. Shouldn't they be trying to woo us and want us to come there and shell out the money?

So they are saying, if you are lucky and get a large dorm it will be noisy and if you are lucky and get a small dorm it will be quiet.

I don't know, i'm getting turned off if this is how they treat us when they are trying to keep us. imagine when we are actualy students and we are locked in and living in noisey dorms. :mad:

20. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

I'd rather they just out and tell us rather than "bend the truth" or simply not tell us at all. How would you make it any nicer?

21. Eyecon82

Eyecon82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

true dat!!!

22. amd263

amd263 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

secretmiss,

There are plenty of places to study at NYU. As a nyu med student, you have access to most of the undergrad facilities. They have a free trolley that takes you down to washington square and you can use that enormous library down there (it looks like a prison but its quiet). Also, there is the new student center which has lots of study space with comfy couches and spectacular views of manhatten!

23. Sadame

Sadame Member
    7+ Year Member

do any of you know how NYU students score on the USMLE step1 and where they place for reidency. if there's a link or soemthing came as an e-mail could you please pm me. thanks.

In regard to the dorm thing. I'd probably get me on apt even considering the cost. I got a scholarship from them so I just think of it as applying to my living costs.

24. jennie 21

jennie 21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a current first-year at NYU, living in Rubin. The noise isn't that bad. Doesn't wake me up in the morning. It was bad while they were pile-driving the foundation of the new building, but that's over now. I live on the North side of Rubin, the side closest to the construction, and I can't even hear the construction noise most of the time if my windows are closed. I'm also on the 11th floor, which may help. Anyway, I don't think the noise is anything to worry about...it really hasn't bothered me this year except for the pile driving. It's possible that it'll be worse next year as the building actually starts to go up next to Rubin...this year they've mostly been laying the foundation. Even so, I wouldn't anticipate that the noise will be a big problem unless you're super-sensitive to noise. What does sort of suck is that the view from most of the North-facing rooms is going to be blocked by the new research building since it's being built right next to Rubin.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. NYU's a great school and I'm very happy with the education I'm receiving here. I wouldn't let the construction next to Rubin influence your decision whether to come here too much. Most of the current first-year class is staying in Rubin next year instead of moving off campus, so most students find it livable if not ideal.

25. KatieOConnor

KatieOConnor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I actually live about a block from NYU. I'm paying under 1000/month for a studio which I share with my boyfriend, cutting my share to under 500/month.

It is possible to find affordable housing in the city.

26. missmod

missmod Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I never even got the housing application! Are there any other NYU options besides Rubin? I think that since they know there will be noise, they should lower the cost of the larger rooms...

27. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

Good luck on that one. :D

28. Super Rob

Super Rob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:eek:

Have you talked to anybody from NYU? They'd love that one!

They have a brick wall out behind the school where students and prospective students can voice their concerns and complaints. But seriously, I think they should at least supply the first years with earplugs. :thumbup:

29. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

It's little confounding factors like these that makes May 1 such a scary date and May 15th 10x worse!