Technology No sound on computer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbernar1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I deleted a program on my computer, I believe it was called Sound Max and now have no sound at all. Help please :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

jbernar1 said:
I deleted a program on my computer, I believe it was called Sound Max and now have no sound at all. Help please :confused:

Go to Control panel ---> Sound and audio devices ---> Try to return the sound to default setting (eg. Control panel ---> Sound and audio devices -->Speaker volume --> restore defaults) and repeat this step for each Item in Sound and audio devices .

Try it , It might work ;)

Brave Heart said:
Go to Control panel ---> Sound and audio devices ---> Try to return the sound to default setting (eg. Control panel ---> Sound and audio devices -->Speaker volume --> restore defaults) and repeat this step for each Item in Sound and audio devices .

Try it , It might work ;)

Thanks, but when I open up the volume tab, it says no audio device. What now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Restore your operating system to a previous restoration point.

I think it's under Start -> Accessories -> System Utilities. (If not, you'll just have to hunt around for it. I'm a Mac user now and don't have a Windows machine booted to see if that's the correct path to get to the program.)

This will restore to a previous point, likely restoring your sound. However, any programs you installed, changes you made to your system, etc. will most likely be lost and will require you to reinstall them.

Paendrag said:
It might eliminate the minimal hassle, but it might cause other headaches depending on how old the restore point is. Relative to the Mac, I'm sure a no-button mouse would be effective too.
Right, I cannot use a mouse. The one button cripples me.

Incidentally, I actually have a Logitech wireless mouse that has two buttons (I never use the right, wonder why?), a forward/back button, and a scroll wheel. Imagine that, it works with a Mac!

Where's your one button mouse comment going now?

southerndoc said:
Restore your operating system to a previous restoration point.

I think it's under Start -> Accessories -> System Utilities. (If not, you'll just have to hunt around for it. I'm a Mac user now and don't have a Windows machine booted to see if that's the correct path to get to the program.)

This will restore to a previous point, likely restoring your sound. However, any programs you installed, changes you made to your system, etc. will most likely be lost and will require you to reinstall them.

I appreciate your help. That worked and I now have sound! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am not sure about this but doesn't "restore" deletes any files etc that you have saved beyond your last good setting.

I think the safest way (in future) will be to download the drivers from web for your sound card ... I think soundmax is eith creative labs or Intel.

No, restore doesn't delete files such as documents, spreadsheets, etc. What it deletes is any new program that you've installed. So if you updated Windows through Windows Update and it becomes unstable, you can restore it to a previous build.

JobsFan, yes I'm a Mac fanatic.

Paendrag, a no button mouse? Now that would be interesting. Who makes a no button mouse?