No state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else not have a state school?

:thumbdown:thumbdown

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Pennsylvania. We have a "state school" that uses state land...and charges $40k/year tuition. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Although you may not have a "State School" in your home state, many states that do not have state schools work with other state schools from the same area to provide residents with a viable option.

If I remember right, Idaho contracts with the University of Utah and reserves a number of spots each year for Idaho residents. This is the only example I can think of off the top of my head; however, if you have close ties to a state with a state school it can often play a big factor in admission to OOS schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idaho contracts with UW. They are one of the WWAMI states.

Oh Penn State.

Don't they also charge 17,000 a year in state just for undergrad tuition?

Yep, sounds about right. Even with scholarship covering more than half of tuition, I have $20k of loans. Which I guess isn't much considering what a PA med school is gonna cost :thumbdown:

Idaho contracts with UW. They are one of the WWAMI states.

I live in Idaho, it sucks. Lol only 22 seats in the WWAMI for the whole state of Idaho at UW. But from what I hear University of Utah also gives a break to some Idaho applicants... I haven't checked this out for certain though. But yeah, in the same situation (Basically) as you, it's no fun

I feel your pain. I moved to Massachusetts 2 years ago, and I won't be considered a resident when applying cause of their ridiculous 5 year requirement:(

It is kind of sad that our state makes you wait five years for pretty much everything. There's not really a state school that has a Pre Med Program in MA. Usually, you would go to a private school for Pre Med.

It is kind of sad that our state makes you wait five years for pretty much everything. There's not really a state school that has a Pre Med Program in MA. Usually, you would go to a private school for Pre Med.

Its still a great deal for those that qualify. UMass tuition is very cheap for the quality school you're getting!

I live in Idaho, it sucks. Lol only 22 seats in the WWAMI for the whole state of Idaho at UW. But from what I hear University of Utah also gives a break to some Idaho applicants... I haven't checked this out for certain though. But yeah, in the same situation (Basically) as you, it's no fun

Really? Please don't complain, you're taking Washingtonian seats (along with the rest of the WWAMI people) when you apply to UW. UW doesn't let WSU build a medical school but gives half of the seats to out of state people... It's really no better being a resident of this state. Also, "ONLY" 22 seats? That's 10% of the seats! ;)

isn't the population of idaho only like 80? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain. I moved to Massachusetts 2 years ago, and I won't be considered a resident when applying cause of their ridiculous 5 year requirement:(

I am in the exact same situation. I have been living in Mass and paying taxes here for almost 4 years now and I still can't even APPLY to UMass...

Their requirement is pretty ridiculous.

The residency requirement for Umass is definitely ridiculous. I'm one of the lucky few who's actually lived here my entire life, so I qualify, but recently spoke with my friend in a Umass nursing program and she said nursing only requires 1 year--so it does seem unfair (I had assumed it was a state-wide rule).

That being said, because Umass is so cheap (read: 8K tuition and more in fees) and has a really small class size (120 students), you really need to be a superstar (or Umass undergrad) to get in since people absolutely turn down Harvard, Yale, etc to attend...so, unless you're a superstar you're kind of shut out from Umass and end up paying private school tuition (or OOS tuition). I've personally been interviewed and accepted by other states state schools and haven't heard from Umass.

The residency requirement for Umass is definitely ridiculous. I'm one of the lucky few who's actually lived here my entire life, so I qualify, but recently spoke with my friend in a Umass nursing program and she said nursing only requires 1 year--so it does seem unfair (I had assumed it was a state-wide rule).

That being said, because Umass is so cheap (read: 8K tuition and more in fees) and has a really small class size (120 students), you really need to be a superstar (or Umass undergrad) to get in since people absolutely turn down Harvard, Yale, etc to attend...so, unless you're a superstar you're kind of shut out from Umass and end up paying private school tuition (or OOS tuition). I've personally been interviewed and accepted by other states state schools and haven't heard from Umass.

I agree UMass is ridiculous. I've lived here my entire life, have great stats and most likely will be Waitlisted or rejected at UMass due to their tiny class size, and the fact I haven't cured cancer.

I have also been accepted at two other state schools: Penn State and UVM

I'm from CA. While California does have state schools (5 of them, and more to come), they are ridiculously hard to get into. It's almost equivalent to saying my state has no state school. :(

I'm from CA. While California does have state schools (5 of them, and more to come), they are ridiculously hard to get into. It's almost equivalent to saying my state has no state school. :(

+a billion for my sad California friends :thumbdown:

Delaware, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho. I think it's just these five. Although we can add California as an honorable mention.

Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine (unless you count Tufts Maine track). Delaware people get preference at Jefferson similar to WWAMI -- I think it's called DIMER.

Fortunately for current pre-meds there are a bunch of schools opening up in CA over the next few years.

Fortunately for current pre-meds there are a bunch of schools opening up in CA over the next few years.

UCSB school of medicine :cool:

lol probably wont ever happen, but I can dream.

I hope I don't get too much heat for this but why do people always talk about how difficult california schools are to get into if you are a california resident? If I remember correctly their stats aren't much different from most state schools which makes me think they shouldn't be anymore difficult to get into for a state resident as other schools. Is it just because there are so many california residents?

I hope I don't get too much heat for this but why do people always talk about how difficult california schools are to get into if you are a california resident? If I remember correctly their stats aren't much different from most state schools which makes me think they shouldn't be anymore difficult to get into for a state resident as other schools. Is it just because there are so many california residents?

All seven of my interviews (all in PA & NY) had 1-3 Californian applicants at each (+who knows how many students). Based on what they've said and what I've read on here:

1. People from CA generally want to stay there for med school and/or residency
2. CA schools are high quality
3. Way too many CA applicants for the number of seats available. For whatever reason, a lot of CA residents want to be doctors
4. Stats don't show the whole picture. Just because a CA school has an average MCAT of, say 32, doesn't mean it's as competitive as other schools around the country with similar stats. Because of the high volume of applicants, you might need a 34-36 with solid ECs or a 30 with outstanding ECs to be competitive. (just making up numbers of course)
5. Non-CA schools might have a negative bias towards CA applicants because of the assumption that they'd rather attend a CA school if accepted to one
6...and the list goes on

Rhode Island doesn't have one but gets preference from Brown--not a bad deal.

We have two state schools in louisiana, I didnt get an interview at either but got accepted at Dartmouth, go figure.

Think of it this way, California and Ohio have the same number of public medical schools (5 each i believe). Yet the overall population of california is at least 3x greater than that of Ohio.

Delaware, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho. I think it's just these five. Although we can add California as an honorable mention.

I think Jefferson is considered a "state school" for Delaware, so they'll give preferences to Delaware residents. Still paying private school tuition though....

I think Jefferson is considered a "state school" for Delaware, so they'll give preferences to Delaware residents. Still paying private school tuition though....

I think Jeff gives a $10K cut on tuition or something for Delaware residents I think.