No summers off in Opt school?

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
  1. Optometry Student
    Just curious and a little confused.

Is opt school taught 12 months out of the year? As in, not the same as the undergraduate calender (summers off).

I am getting the impression you are in school 12 months of the year with minimal breaks...

Lots of school.....

cheers!

jefguth

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 12, 2004
    British Columbia
    1. Optometrist
      Just curious and a little confused.

Is opt school taught 12 months out of the year? As in, not the same as the undergraduate calender (summers off).

I am getting the impression you are in school 12 months of the year with minimal breaks...

Lots of school.....

cheers!

Most schools have a summer break between first and second year. However, PCO does not, and ICO is suppossed to be eliminating theirs as well.

msjang

10+ Year Member
      May 25, 2007
      Michigan
      1. Optometry Student
        Oh wow, ICO is going to eliminate their 1st year's summer break? I wonder if they are going to do that for entering class 2008...
        i want to call ICO, but I am out of the country right now :( I think i will email them

About the Ads

MariaMaria

10+ Year Member
        Jun 27, 2007
        1. Pre-Optometry
          You serious! I was looking forward to going out of the country that summer.

For ICO, does anyone know why they would get rid of that break? Like are they adding more classes or just lessening our load a bit during the year.

Most schools have a summer break between first and second year. However, PCO does not, and ICO is suppossed to be eliminating theirs as well.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 12, 2004
          British Columbia
          1. Optometrist
            You serious! I was looking forward to going out of the country that summer.

For ICO, does anyone know why they would get rid of that break? Like are they adding more classes or just lessening our load a bit during the year.

I dont' know when they plan to implement it, it's just somthing I've heard. As far as the reason, I believe it is to get students into clinic earlier - similar to what PCO does.

Jay12

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Mar 21, 2007
            Canada
            1. Optometry Student
              Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about not having the summer off between the first and second year as of now. Our academic calendar for the upcoming year shows that 1st year students having the summer off. :thumbup:

iowaeyes

10+ Year Member
              Oct 20, 2006
              Bloomington, IN
              1. Optometry Student
                We're in finals week right now here at Indiana (be done May 2nd). We don't have to go back until September 2nd for the fall semester if we don't want to! There is an optional summer class that I am taking, but even that gets done mid-June.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.