Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

No sweet talk

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Halaljello, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Halaljello

Halaljello Hot Oil

yet another "chances" question
    any DO's get in to medschoool with a 23 mcat (5v 9P 9B) and a sci/cum gpa of about 3.55-3.6?

....now please dont give me lecture about how do schools look beyond the numbers.. (i probably read it on this site a million times) but everyone knows, there's a premliminary cutt off because of the huge applicant pool and some can even get cutt off the list before the admission reps get to seetheir extra cirricular accomplishmnts...

i do have volunteer experience at hospitals/retirement homes and i've shadowed 2 DO's etc etc.

basically I'm just curious if i got a chance and if i will be cutt off before they even get to see the rest of me. if anyone in this quanitative predicament had any luck on getting in...any feed back would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I responded to you about this on the other forum... But I'll say it again... You have a fighting chance!!! I know of peeps who've gotten in with worse MCAT scores and GPA, for that matter.... It would depend on which school you want to go to.... The reason I say that is some osteopathic med schools have a cut off for MCAT and GPA of who they want to except.

Do you have a chance?!! I say MOST DEFINITELY!!! It wouldn't hurt to apply with those numbers, it'll just hurt your pockets (ching$$$, ching$$$) :cool:

Good Luck

4. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

Popoy;

Just curious, do you know what the ave GPA and MCAT is for accepted students for DO schools? I tries to download the statistics from the AACOMAS site but was unable to. Thanks!

5. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually tried downloading those things they have on the web and was unable to also.... The avg differ for each school.... I've tried looking for my copy of the averages from last year, but I can't seem to find it... I'll try again and I'll post up what I can find.... Sorry.... :(

6. Vasiley Zaitsev

Vasiley Zaitsev Senior Member

NO worries at all. I know someone that got into a DO school with MCAT's of 19 and 20, with the 20 coming first. The GPA was 3.6ish....Work hard, trust in the Lord..

owcc16

7. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    I do want to share that if you apply to all the osteopathic schools... YOU DO HAVE A REALLY GOOD CHANCE!!! So choose wisely if you can't apply to all the schools.... the one you might not apply too may be the one that would have accepted you....

8. Halaljello

Halaljello Hot Oil

well i plan on applying to 15 or 16 DO schools....im not sure how many (if any) allopathic i might apply to...but i just hope u guys are right and that the applicant pool has cooled off a little this year...

but im kinda afraid, i might not be lucky like the people u guys might mention... dont mean to be pessimistic or paranoid, but i heard a lot of the people who get in with low mcats use to have careers as nurses, or were pharmacists or had other amazing backgrounds.... me (lke many applicants) are straight out of college... with the volunteer work and the general stuff any premed does...

thanks for the feedback guys

9. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    You'll be just fine!!! Next year around this time you'll be saying the same thing we're telling you to someone else that have asked the same question your asking now.... :cool:

10. MedPuck

MedPuck Made

Halaljello, I know someone who received 3 acceptances with a 6,7,8 MCAT - 21 total. I don't think her gpa was as high as a 3.6 either. The only D.O. school she applied to that rejected without interview was CCOM, which is our local school, being Chicagoans as we are. Do not worry now, listen to all of this good advice and be confident that you put your best foot forward. Worse comes to worst, you take the exam again next April if you receive no acceptances (which WON'T happen), and you apply again with higher scores. You are young and your future is bright. You have much more than a chance with your scores. Good luck my fellow Chicagoan! :D