No sweet talk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
yet another "chances" question

any DO's get in to medschoool with a 23 mcat and a bcpm/cum gpa of about 3.55-3.6?

....now please dont give me lecture about how do schools look beyond the numbers.. (i probably read it on this site a million times) but everyone knows, there's a premliminary cutt off because of the huge applicant pool and some can even get cutt off the list before the admission reps get to seetheir extra cirricular accomplishmnts...

i do have volunteer experience at hospitals/retirement homes and i've shadowed 2 DO's etc etc.

basically I'm just curious if i got a chance and if i will be cutt off before they even get to see the rest of me. if anyone in this quanitative predicament had any luck on getting in...any feed back would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely, go for it. You may not be offered an interview until late in the process, but you still have a shot.

I don't want to tell you what to do. These were my stats the 1st yr I applied:

7-9-8-Q
3.6 GPA (2.9 sci)
no interviews. I took off a year, studied for the MCAT, volunteered, shadowed, took classes.
2nd yr I applied: (actually 2 yrs after the 1st time)

11-9-8-Q
3.6 GPA (3.1 sci)
7 interviews (1-MD, 6-DO), 5 acceptances all DO. I know for sure that TUCOM has a cut off point in terms of figures for granting interviews. Others, I think that even if you're borderline competitive they definitely "read beyond the numbers" (I had to bring it up!).

If you decide to apply this year, then while you wait, you might as well work on areas that need improvement. This can only help you, not hurt you.

GOOD LUCK!

Miriam :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there has been people.... go for it and you'll get offered an interview somewhere.... If you sell yourself well then expect an acceptance letter sometime.... Much luck, :cool:

MCAT is a little low...but the GPA is good...depending on your activities and experiences...and how you present yourself...you stand a fighting chance....

but then again..it depends where you want to go to school, DO schools are known to take the WHOLE PERSON into account...

MY MCAT was higher..but my GPA a little lower and had plenty of interviews and acceptances....DO shadowing and DO recs are KEY!

I took the MCAT last april and got 9-9-7, my gpa is ~3.6 and my science is ~3.75. I am planning on taking the test again, just to try to improve on the scores! I only applied to 2 schools because of the low MCAT scores, and was interviewed at both. Unfortunately i was also waitlisted at both. If I do get accepted then it will be a HUGE relief, but if I don't at least it may show the admissions committee that I tried to improve my application.

The only down side is if I get a lower score on the test this august. I really don't know what to do if that should happen. :(

Good luck and hopefully it works out for ya!
:D :D

wow dmu forums is really catching up fast...

her vince im livingin eagle canyon too

its nice to have someone else there

does anyone know how many people total are in sapp

it was so freakin hot in that area today its ridiculous

im tired
see ya

faiz

Halal - it's been done. I've seen it. Go for it.

And don't let them give you any **** about abortion! Good luck!